• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2017-18 Ashes in Australia

cnerd123

likes this
Fun fact: David Warner was a HK Sixes star well before the Test side swooped in on him and decided to make him one of the Ashes poster boys.

Yet another example of the big boys taking advantage of HK Cricket for their own gain

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I get the Warner hate and even Smith since he's captain but Starc?
Starc tried to intentionally injure a batsman just because he was annoyed that the batsman pulled out of the delivery. Dangerous and totally unnacceptable.

While Smith is simply a cheater and a petulant child, both Warner and Starc have a history of violence. Honestly they're both lucky they have a bad aim, or they could've seriously injured Gayle/Root.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Starc tried to intentionally injure a batsman just because he was annoyed that the batsman pulled out of the delivery. Dangerous and totally unnacceptable.

While Smith is simply a cheater and a petulant child, both Warner and Starc have a history of violence. Honestly they're both lucky they have a bad aim, or they could've seriously injured Gayle/Root.
Wasnt it pollard? Re starc

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Does anyone know if the tour matches, the first of which is 4th November v Western Australia, are being broadcast? BBC Radio 5/5 live extra do not seem to be doing anything!
Not sure if geo blocked, but the CA app may well have live coverage

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Really? I'd never heard that. If true that changes my opinion totally.
I remember an interview after he came back when he was asked about it and said how he wanted to stay there and help mentor the 2 young replacements and Flower said that he has to leave the tour immediately if he wasn't available to play.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I think you're completely and utterly wrong.
Really? I remember a lot of good will for the travelling team and a lot of English pundits/journos discussing how an improvement in West Indian cricket at the time could be achieved, and how they desired it - the expression, ''good for cricket'' was used frequently - and I think people also willed a West Indian victory simply on the basis that white washes are completely tedious. People really enjoyed the Pakistan 2-2 series the previous year and there was a similar level of good will by the English directed toward the Pakistani.

Besides, just about everyone I talked to wanted the West Indies to pick up that one test so I clearly cannot be ''utterly'' wrong.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bollocks to wanting the other team to win a game. Can show goodwill to a team without being condescending

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah **** that. You want your side to play hard and win every game they play. Ive never once hoped for a loss cos ive got a soft one for the opposition.

S.Kennedy

Yeah **** that. You want your side to play hard and win every game they play. Ive never once hoped for a loss cos ive got a soft one for the opposition.
I suppose I do not operate that way - unless it is Durham haha.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
As Marc said the "throw a dog a bone mentality" is ****e and downright condescending.

S.Kennedy

As Marc said the "throw a dog a bone mentality" is ****e and downright condescending.
I do not think that is how I would put it though. Firstly I want to see the West Indies improve because I like West Indian cricket and the history of West Indian cricket. I would not call that 'condescending'. Secondly I like competitive cricket. Cricket is never interesting if you are just white washing people unless you are a pissed-up fan watching the event live. The best series are either close run neck-and-neck things or things where one team comes dramatically from behind to draw or even clinch the thing: Ashes '05, First Worrell Trophy, Last winter's Border-Gavascar, The best individual tests follow a similar pattern, Edgbaston '05, Headingley '81, the two tied tests, Adelaide '06, Eden Gardens 2003 - even Cardiff '09 if we are including nail-biting draws. I really enjoyed 2016's Pakistan series because it was so close.

Just the way I watch cricket. I often watch other country's test matches where I do not really care who wins.