• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RIP Tom Maynard

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair to the Mail (that's a sentence I never thought I'd write), the Scum have also led with the pic. Clearly the most important part of the story.

Our Tabloid press, it's really something to be proud of.
To which list you can add the local London paper 'The Standard', who also felt that his model girlfriend was the key issue. Another obscenely right wing rag, for those who aren't familiar with it.

hazsa19

International Regular
This sounds like a ****-up on the police's part, I know details are sketchy but eh.

Clearly he was on some kind of drug and not in a normal state of mind. Cant help but feel the police might've prevented this.

Anyway RIP, this is horrible
Any excuse to knock the police :wacko:

RIP

uvelocity

International Coach
sorry to bring the daily mail into it. The reason I posted the story was it mentioned he stepped on a live track, which was the reason stated that the train struck him. The first thing I thought of was he was wandering around or fell, perhaps intoxicated, or suicide even. Being incapacitated by electric shock doesn't explain why he went there, but probably rules out suicide at least.

I hope that post is alright, I'm not trying to cast aspersions.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
sorry to bring the daily mail into it. The reason I posted the story was it mentioned he stepped on a live track, which was the reason stated that the train struck him. The first thing I thought of was he was wandering around or fell, perhaps intoxicated, or suicide even. Being incapacitated by electric shock doesn't explain why he went there, but probably rules out suicide at least.

I hope that post is alright, I'm not trying to cast aspersions.
Form what I've read it sounded like the police attempted to pull him over due to the vehicle being driven erratically, he jumped out and ran off, and then they found him on the tracks later on. If all this is true, then you'd assume he cut across the tracks when he was running away and got electrocuted.

As for it being the police's fault for not preventing it, as someone else suggested, I can only assume that post was a joke.

Chubb

International Regular
The Mail takes the prize for me because the Sun knows that it's a paper for morons. The Daily Mail is supposed to be a serious paper.
No, the Mail pretends to be a serious paper. Read Flat Earth News and you'll find out a hell of a lot about it and the way it operates. It does not make pretty reading.

I was shocked to hear of Maynard's death. RIP.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
inquest into his death happening at the moment.

'A post-mortem examination showed he was nearly four times the legal alcohol limit to drive and had also taken cocaine and ecstasy in the form of MDMA after a night out with his two flatmates in Wandsworth, south London'

'Tests on hair samples indicted Mr Maynard, who had previously played for Glamorgan and was tipped as a future England international, may have been a regular drug user up to three and half months before his death, the inquest heard.'

BBC News - Train death cricketer Tom Maynard was 'high on drugs'

Says a lot about the piss poor drug testing in cricket. Also possibly a failure by his club and friends to see he had a problem.

Mr_Ronan

Banned
Jeezus he was off his face. What a sad end.

Raises questions about how a coke addict can not be caught out by drug testing.

Dernbach and the former Surrey captain both claimed they had no idea he was taking coke. It's hard to believe Maynard was addicted to powder and neither of them had any clue, particularly the latter given they lived together.

Anyway, inquests like this are always murky and depressing.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah it is a worry, have no idea how stringent drugs tests are in county cricket.

Guess we can't be sure how big a problem he had either, was certainly not effecting his form at the time.