• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting steps down as Captain (Updated)

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Unfortunately someone like Clarke who was earmarked for the top job seems to be struggling to both grow as a player or a prospective leader and CA doesn't have a plan B to fall back upon as there is hardly anyone else in the current squad who one could realistically see leading the side.
I don't understand why you keep banging on about this point. I mean I understand that you feel the way you do about Clarke, but when have CA ever not backed the guy? There was a ton of talk about his suitability in the media, but Clarke was still handed the reins the second Ponting got injured (and seemed to grow as a player when it happened I might add) so they clearly still see him as the heir apparent.

Do you have any reason for continuously asserting the people in power think Clarke isn't suitable, or are you just projecting your personal bias to read more into a situation than is really there?

Personally I think they're perfectly happy to hand Clarke the reins if need be. Reckon he'll go well too.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pontng holding presser at 1 pm today, real world (EDST) time.

Reckon he'll step down as skipper, hoping he plays on.

Man deserves a Standing O in a home test to go out on.

So it looks like Clarke can become the John Robertson of Australian cricket.

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Pontng holding presser at 1 pm today, real world (EDST) time.

Reckon he'll step down as skipper, hoping he plays on.

Man deserves a Standing O in a home test to go out on.

So it looks like Clarke can become the John Robertson of Australian cricket.
lol. Hopefully he does play on. Hopefully after giving up the captaincy his batting will get back to his best.

Clarke should do well.

howardj

International Coach
I wish he'd go for a swim like Harold Holt...

The public just doesn't take to this guy.

I don't see it as a great appointment.

But there are not many alternatives.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
They called me crazy they did.

EDIT: Top thread from Mister Wright.

EDIT: And this thread is interesting TSTL.

EDIT: A real shame that it's coming 18 months too late, but it's better than nothing I guess. Once more, CW > Oz Selectors. For reals.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Ricky Ponting to stand down

RICKY Ponting is expected to announce later today that he will stand down as captain of the Australian cricket team.

It is understood Ponting will remain as a batsman in the side but will hand over the skipper's title.

Speculation has swirled over the last few weeks about Ponting's future with reports he would retire gathering momentum last week.

Ponting is expected to make an announcement later today.

Michael Clarke is set to replace Ponting as Australian captain at Test and one-day level. Cameron White is Australia’s Twenty20 captain.

howardj

International Coach
People saying that Ponting could have a late career renaissance with the blade, in the same vein as Sachin and Kallis overlook a couple of things.

Unlike Kalls and Sachin, Ponting is struggling big time against genuine pace and has been since Kemar Roach roughed him up 18 or so months ago.

Kallis and Sachin are also playing in successful sides and are not being exposed to the new ball early doors. By contrast, Australia's brittle top order has regularly wilted and put enormous pressure on the guys lower down.

Kallis and Sachin are the exception. As a rule, you don't arrest declines in your 36th or 37th year.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dougeh ftw. He was watching his old team on Saturday down at the local park - he gets the "grass roots" thing.. He's up for the job I tell you.

Dougeh.

Dougeh!