• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting to drop down the order?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ohhh...my first thread in cricket chat for a long time:

Should Ponting drop down the order from 3 to say 5 or 6? He has been a great servant for Australian cricket and if it wasn't for Bradman would probably be rated as our greatest ever first drop.

But, you get the sense he is not as flash as he was at number 3. Perhaps it is time for him to come in later in the order. It may be the only way he can stay in the side until 2013 if he drops down the order. Steve Waugh did it and Alan Border did it before him, so it's not unheard of. Ponting also got the 3 while the existing captain was still in the side, so it might be time for Clarke to step up.

Thoughts?

Jayzamann

International Regular
My initial thought is no, but seeing it as a way to prolong a career and blood new #3's (which is the lynchpin in all batting orders), I'd actually like to see it.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
If anyone is going to bat @ 3 in the future long term its either Watson or Ferguson i'd say. ATM i'm not sure what Ponting should do, but i dont think its time for him to move down from # 3 just yet.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Come down and face more spin - yea, that makes sense.:ph34r:

No, I think he's fine where he is. Yes, he is on a decline, but I don't really see how it will help him or the team if he's at five instead of three.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
No, he shouldn't. Yes he's in decline, but he's still better than anyone else going around, if he was to drop down then no lower than 4, and Clarke is certainly not a number 3

Furball

Evil Scotsman
No, he shouldn't. Yes he's in decline, but he's still better than anyone else going around, if he was to drop down then no lower than 4, and Clarke is certainly not a number 3
Time to blood a pretender IMO.

iamdavid

International Debutant
The only guys in the country who I'd actually have enough faith in to bat at three at the moment are Hussey and Katich who are nearly as old as Ponting so there's not alot of point, and Watson.

I think Watson is Australia's next long term number 3.

Sir Alex

Banned
Ideally Ponting should drop down the order however considering the alternatives are currently worse than him he has to stay

duffer

His for will come back,not to the godly levels it used to but he'll still get back to a top class #3 given time. Although Watson at 3 and Hughes at the top could be alright too.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't really agree with the doom predictions re: Ponting. He's not the player he used to be but it was only a few matches ago he looked in blistering form against WI. He's had one of his worst summers but I'd be surprised if he's done for as a quality test bat.

social

I don't really agree with the doom predictions re: Ponting. He's not the player he used to be but it was only a few matches ago he looked in blistering form against WI. He's had one of his worst summers but I'd be surprised if he's done for as a quality test bat.
His main problem is that he has given away umpteen starts in the past 18 months and he never used to do that (ave when he got past 20 used to be well over 80)

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Difficult to decide on Ponting until you see him batting uninjured.

I wonder if Hodge had still been available, would he have missed a test or two? Seeing as Hodge was basically a Ponting substitute.

Sir Alex

Banned
His main problem is that he has given away umpteen starts in the past 18 months and he never used to do that (ave when he got past 20 used to be well over 80)
Yes, he has looked in good form in the last year but frustratingly cannot get to a big score. It is as if he loses his concentration and becomes mentally tired soon than usual. He is giving sweet but short cameos which does not do much good for him or for Australia.

howardj

International Coach
Ohhh...my first thread in cricket chat for a long time:

Should Ponting drop down the order from 3 to say 5 or 6? He has been a great servant for Australian cricket and if it wasn't for Bradman would probably be rated as our greatest ever first drop.

But, you get the sense he is not as flash as he was at number 3. Perhaps it is time for him to come in later in the order. It may be the only way he can stay in the side until 2013 if he drops down the order. Steve Waugh did it and Alan Border did it before him, so it's not unheard of. Ponting also got the 3 while the existing captain was still in the side, so it might be time for Clarke to step up.

Thoughts?
Agreed.

Comfortably your best post ever.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That innings against WI doesn't really mean that mucch. Only 12 months ago he also almost scored twin tons against South Africa at the MCG.

The point is that over the last 18 months he's barely averaging over 40. A few good knocks here and there are incredibly entertaining, but he's been ordinary for some time now.