• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richie Richardson played 74 of his 224 ODIs in Australia (only 48 in the West Indies)

srbhkshk

International Captain
It's weird too - apart from 2011-12 all series this century would have benefited from an additional test.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The rain saved Australia from being battered in Sydney as well.

Burgey

It's incredible how completely that 00/01 series trashed the reputation of the West Indies in Australia. They were so utterly humiliated that it was the last time a side other than England got 5 tests. Not only that but they've rarely been back since (maybe two or three times at most) and when they have, crowds have been poor.

It's a real shame and is largely why the "does cricket need a strong West Indies" type threads used to come up all the time.
Went to day one at the Gabba with my best mate who moved to Qld for that series. What an embarrassment it was.

And that's just the ground - a soulless fish bowl befitting the performance the Windies put up that day. Highlight of he day was Slats running out Hayden.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Went to day one at the Gabba with my best mate who moved to Qld for that series. What an embarrassment it was.

And that's just the ground - a soulless fish bowl befitting the performance the Windies put up that day. Highlight of he day was Slats running out Hayden.
Yeah the Gabba from all I've heard is not a great spectator ground, but I would quite happily see one test a season in a Turkmenistani gulag if Australia had that sort of strong record there

Burgey

Yeah it has to have a test each year, for sure. Would be a far more enjoyable place to watch if they'd kept the old QCC building as a bit of a hat tip to the past, rather than basically build an older, poor person's Optus Stadium.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
It's incredible how completely that 00/01 series trashed the reputation of the West Indies in Australia. They were so utterly humiliated that it was the last time a side other than England got 5 tests. Not only that but they've rarely been back since (maybe two or three times at most) and when they have, crowds have been poor.

It's a real shame and is largely why the "does cricket need a strong West Indies" type threads used to come up all the time.
And it was after the 1999 series in the Carribbean which was an absolute classic of a contest with controversy aplenty as well.

To underline how bad the West Indies have been in Oz this century, not only have they not won a Test in Oz in 96/97 but also beating Oz in a ODI.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant

Went there for the 2009 Gabba Windies Test and agree, it's a pretty average ground to be at. Long overdue for a restructure.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To underline how bad the West Indies have been in Oz this century, not only have they not won a Test in Oz in 96/97 but also beating Oz in a ODI.
Not beating us in an ODI here for 23 years is staggering considering some pretty terrible teams have at least managed to cadge one at times, like Pakistan in 2017.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Gabba is a pretty ugly stadium these days. A bit like the MCG but with a pitch that has something in it for the bowlers.

Flem274*

123/5
if bangladesh were touring aus-nz-eng-sa more then you'd see something like that with bangladesh pacers but alas they do not

wondering what those guys like sok would get as their splits if they'd had longer careers; it seems that teams are moving to be smarter with horses for courses selections over the past decade (or at the very least trying to get funky with it tbh) so we could well see more of these guys playing more tests away in the near future
somerville has never played a test in nz and ajaz has like 1 where he bowled for about 5 minutes while kane searched desperately for another paceman he could spam.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
The rain saved Australia from being battered in Sydney as well.
India were very close to winning the Adelaide test as well. Kapil put in a fine all round performance and Azhar scored a sublime hundred on the last day ably supported by Prabhakar. In the end, it was down to not winning the key moments. That scoreline at the end of the series was a bit flattering imo.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
oops, my bad. I saw 1991-92 series referred a few posts earlier and was thinking about that. Rain saved Aussies in Sydney then as well but Border played a really good innings.