• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richie Richardson played 74 of his 224 ODIs in Australia (only 48 in the West Indies)

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
okay i've found the record.

Dessie Haynes played 94 ODIs in Australia and 49 at home. Far out he could basically say he was more used to our pitches than his own by the end

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wonder if you can attribute some of Australia's dominance in the 90s and 00s to playing so much against the strongest opposition leading up to those decades. Could be a complete coincidence but afaik it's a widely accepted theory that if you want to improve and be the best you can be, you need to be challenging yourself against the best opposition as much as possible.

Spikey

England played a lot less ODers than other teams in the 90s, and probably 80s, and I suspect they really didn't play that many at home, so there's probably some England players who played as many ODers in Aus as they did in Eng.

Pakistan were also on the WSC loop a fair bit in the 80s, so someone like Imran who finished in the 1992 WC might have a close to equal breakdown between home and Australia, but nothing like the West Indies guys, who by far played fewer games at home in the 70s and 80s: https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...1992;spanval1=span;template=results;type=team

games in aus until the end of the 92 wc: https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/e...1992;spanval1=span;template=results;type=team

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Late 80s, yeah. Definitely during the 90s the West Indies were the biggest draw cards, though there was often one good team and one rubbish team each year.
Aus only got the Ashes back in 89

bit of a stretch to say they were "smashing a mediocre England regularly" in the 80s

stephen

My memory kind of blends the 80s and 90s together. The Windies were definitely the ones to beat from as far back as I can remember until the retirement of Curtly Ambrose.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
RSA and Aus both stronger from about 95, at least with the benefit hindsight.

Pak also felt stronger in the late 90s, although their record isnt too flash iirc.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Among the non WI players, Hadlee played 48 of his 115 matches in Australia and 35 in his own country.

India debuted in ODI cricket in 1974 but it wasn't until 1981 that the first ODI was hosted by India. Vishwanath who played 25 ODIs played only 1 ODI in India.

Burgey

I had a look, Carl Hooper played 50 here and Lara 52, Walsh 43 but that's about it. It seems like during the 80s and 90s the Windies came out for here for ODI series a crazy amount of times. after 96/97 it was just 00/01 then 05 though so things slowed down
They were the big money spinners in the 80s so they were here basically every second year it seemed. Even for tests they were here in 79/80, 81/82, 84/85 then 88/89 iirc and played a number of triangular odi series in between as well.

I also think home ODIs for the Windies would have been at most a five match series per summer back then, if not more commonly a three match series

Burgey

now one from another country(but still related to Australia)

Neil Fairbrother played 21 of his 75 ODIs here in Australia and only 20 at home.

Funnily enough he averaged 40 in England but that shot up to 51 in Australia

An average of 29 from 24 matches in Asia is what dragged this guy's record down
Massively over rated player that bloke. Idiots like Richard rated him as ATG level as a LO player. Embarrassing

mr_mister

I don't consider him the British Bevan like some but his record looks pretty good to me. Very much an under the radar career considering his limited test success so maybe in hindsight people like Richard overcorrected and rated him too highly

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Massively over rated player that bloke. Idiots like Richard rated him as ATG level as a LO player. Embarrassing
I don't consider him the British Bevan like some but his record looks pretty good to me. Very much an under the radar career considering his limited test success so maybe in hindsight people like Richard overcorrected and rated him too highly
Very poor use of the English language there suggesting there are other people like Richard.

trundler

But not before your dementia kicked in. Of course you don't know how forum posts work

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
In the years after World Series ended the number of ODI's in Australia was a bit of a running joke. Tri-series with teams playing each other four or five times to eliminate one of them. I remember one Ashes Tour was interrupted when they threw in a One Day tournament to coincidence with some tedious yachting event. Fred Trueman commented that they'll probably have a tournament for Rolf Harris's birthday. Of course no one is laughing now as ODI's were the financial future of the sport and Kerry Packer saw it before anyone else.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
No, it was The Americas Cup as mentioned earlier in the thread. In yachting circles it was a big deal it being outside of America for the first time since God knows when, but it didn't really require a cricket tournament along side it.