• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reverse Alphabetic Draft

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
We can do variants of this. For example debut chronological draft. Both for ODIs and tests. I'll be happy to run it
And I am willing to run this if there is enough interest and once we finish 1-2 ongoing drafts.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chanderpaul again. Did think about him this time but would just much rather have Clarke at 6.
He's easily the least draftable in the 11k club, behind Cook of course.

As far as post war openers go, Cook really does have to be up there, yet almost seems forgotten whenever folks are drafting. Chanderpaul suffers from the lack of WIndies supporters on the forum and the fact that he scored all his runs when the Windies were garbage.

kingkallis

International Coach
Zaheer spent the majority of his career at 3. He did open a couple of times, I don't think it's a huge stretch to push him to opener for the sake of team balance. I felt like Botham was going to win me more tests than Boycott tbh.
ATG openers and a proper wicket keeper wins more drafts then they win the matches.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I was gonna pick Bond anyway. I will be adding Weldone, Pothas, KK and you to my votes in any case. :laugh:
Seeing how you snubbed both Broad and Anderson, don't count on English votes. What do you have against the English?

stephen

Getting rid of rounds is so so fun. I'd be happy to run the average draft.
Yes! But I also think that the forced progression and availability of players for reasons other than cricketing ones really livened the draft up too. And someone like Benaud was a great pick in the Alphabet Draft and was terrible in the reverse alphabet draft, which added extra spice.

Glad it brought some joy (and joyful misery) into people's lives. I know at times I must have spent a couple of hours at least trying to figure out which combinations of players I could get.

There are already two drafts up and running at the moment, so I suggest waiting until one of those finishes before starting another draft. I don't think the forum can really handle more than two at a time.

stephen

ATG openers and a PROPER wicket keeper wins more drafts.
Hmmm. You've outdrafted me in the last few drafts we've played in so I should believe you :lol:

I've actually considered going back through the last half dozen or so draft polls and getting some stats on which players tend to be on the winning team more often. But then I've also thought that that's an insane waste of time given I draft for fun.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes! But I also think that the forced progression and availability of players for reasons other than cricketing ones really livened the draft up too. And someone like Benaud was a great pick in the Alphabet Draft and was terrible in the reverse alphabet draft, which added extra spice.

Glad it brought some joy (and joyful misery) into people's lives. I know at times I must have spent a couple of hours at least trying to figure out which combinations of players I could get.

There are already two drafts up and running at the moment, so I suggest waiting until one of those finishes before starting another draft. I don't think the forum can really handle more than two at a time.
Seriously, those guys whining about too many drats don't know what they're missing out on. I was keeping tabs of everyone's picks and also literally making notes about my options. The born before tests draft is about to finish though.

kingkallis

International Coach
Hmmm. You've outdrafted me in the last few drafts we've played in so I should believe you :lol:

I've actually considered going back through the last half dozen or so draft polls and getting some stats on which players tend to be on the winning team more often. But then I've also thought that that's an insane waste of time given I draft for fun.
Trust me, its fun. I go through some of our conversations that we had back in 2010, 2012 as well. :ph34r:

stephen

Seriously, those guys whining about too many drats don't know what they're missing out on. I was keeping tabs of everyone's picks and also literally making notes about my options. The born before tests draft is about to finish though.
It's not about appeasing the whiners, it's about the fact that I'm emotionally burned out from the last couple :lol:.

trundler

Next time we need to unite against AndrewB who keeps sneaking in the best side again and again. How do you sneak in 3 guys good enough to bat 6 while being great frontline bowlers? Oh and Knott.

Last edited:

Pothas

Not as good as his previous team I don't think but that might be because I never consider picking people like Lohmann in these sorts of drafts.

stephen

• ankitj: Fred Trueman, Brian Statham, KS Ranjitsinhji, Muttiah Muralitharan, Clive Lloyd, Len Hutton, Joel Garner, Roy Fredericks, Denis Compton, Jonny Bairstow

Timed out:

Complete:

• SillyCowCorner1: Frank Worrell, Dan Vettori, Kumar Sangakkara, Ian Redpath, Bobby Peel, Makhaya Ntini, Mudassar Nazar, Javed Miandad, Wes Hall, Trevor Goddard, John Edrich
  • Teuton: Younis Khan, Bob Willis, Gary Sobers, Andy Roberts, Bill O'Reilly, Arthur Morris, Imran Khan, Michael Hussey, WG Grace, Andy Flower, Ken Barrington
  • honestbharani: Everton Weekes, Chaminda Vaas, Frank Tyson, Shakib Al Hasan, ​Kagiso Rabada, Eddie Paynter, Mushtaq Mohammed, Brian Lara, Wally Hammond, AB De Villiers, ​Ravi Ashwin
  • stephen: Zaheer Abbas, Bill Woodfull, Sachin Tendulkar, Shoaib Akhtar, Ricky Ponting, Dudley Nourse, Jim Laker, Kapil Dev, Adam Gilchrist, Alan Davidson, Ian Botham
  • ataraxia: Steve Waugh, Derek Underwood, Glenn Turner, Viv Richards, Bill Ponsford, Bert Oldfield, Ray Lindwall, Richard Hadlee, Allan Donald, Martin Crowe, Warwick Armstrong
  • pothas: Waqar Younis, Hugh Tayfield, Graeme Smith, Shaun Pollock, Dennis Lillee, Virat Kohli, Mahela Jayawardene, Sunil Gavaskar, Rahul Dravid, Michael Clarke, Les Ames
  • weldone: Wasim Akram, Dale Steyn, Joe Root, Graeme Pollock, Mahmudullah, Jack Hobbs, Gordon Greenidge, Quinton de Kock, Bhagwat Chandrasekhar, Don Bradman, Curtly Ambrose
  • kingkallis: Clyde Walcott, Herbert Sutcliffe, Barry Richards, Glenn McGrath, Harold Larwood, Rohan Kanhai, Michael Holding, Clarrie Grimmett, MS Dhoni, Allan Border, Mohammad Azharuddin
  • trundler: Shane Warne, Victor Trumper, Bob Simpson, Jack Russell, Malcolm Marshall, Jacques Kallis, George Headley, Graham Gooch, Greg Chappell, Shane Bond, Neil Adcock
  • AndrewB: Kane Williamson, Hedley Verity, Steve Smith, Mike Procter, Keith Miller, George Lohmann, Alan Knott, Matthew Hayden, Aubrey Faulkner, Sydney (SF) Barnes, Dennis Amiss

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Not as good as his previous team I don't think but that might be because I never consider picking people like Lohmann in these sorts of drafts.
And Trumper and Larwood in my case. Don't think I have ever picked them.

trundler

I make an exception for Trumper and Grace. Considered picking Briggs but decided against it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
AndrewB, Teuton and KingKallis are this unholy triumvirate of drafts who keep picking the picks you had in mind. Which is the old Nufan sheep draft was one of the best... You usually had to pick guys others would not have picked.. :laugh: I landed some of my best sides in Nuffers' drafts most often.