• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Restructuring the Australian summer

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I used to think not playing T20 internationals outside the WC was a bad idea, but I'm slowly coming around to it. And I think it would work within the confines of the Oz summer.

Having a tri-series for the T20 is at least an improvement on the past couple of years where it seemed just random and pointless, especially once crowds dropped away. But I reckon basing the end of the summer around the end of the Big Bash would work better, which would be more viable if there's one TV broadcaster covering all the formats.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's tough. If you'd want to move the ODIs to before the Test series, you'll deprive a lot of the Australian players any chance to play Shield cricket in preparation for the Tests.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I would like to see the Shield and One Day season being mixed up again. That's going to be the easiest way to ensure that the Australian players can get some Shield cricket in before the Tests.

September 21 to December 6; Shield and OD domestic mixed up. 77 days, fitting in five shield games (20 days) and five one day games.
December 29 to February 6; Big Bash. 50 days.

By mixing up the Shield and One Day, you can possibly fit in the Shield games that people will want before a Test series, while fitting in an ODI tournament in late November before the Tests begin in mid-December.

You could also still keep the Tests where they are, late November till early January so that the Test players are all available for the BBL, which is the more likely outcome.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would like to see the Shield and One Day season being mixed up again. That's going to be the easiest way to ensure that the Australian players can get some Shield cricket in before the Tests.

September 21 to December 6; Shield and OD domestic mixed up. 77 days, fitting in five shield games (20 days) and five one day games.

By mixing up the Shield and One Day, you can possibly fit in the Shield games that people will want before a Test series, while fitting in an ODI tournament in late November before the Tests begin in mid-December.

You could also still keep the Tests where they are, late November till early January so that the Test players are all available for the BBL, which is the more likely outcome.
They used to arrange the domestic schedule so they'd play a Shield game then a ODD game a day or two after didn't they?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I used to think this was great. Still do tbh. 4 day match followed by a one dayer against the same team a day or so later. Seems like it'd save on logistics, but what would I know.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I just don't see how you can really justify playing ODD games after like, the 15th of October (which is usually when the domestic has started), even if you do push the ODI games in front of the BBL. There's just too many stuff to fit in and we're in an era where most of the team the ODI team is just the test players + PONIs, and it doesn't really seem like the players need to play a series of ODD games prior to the ODI series anyway