• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reality of 99.4 Average?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It could have been higher looking at his innings. He followed so many massive scores with a failure. Check his 1930 scores. 4 scores under 20 and 4 tons. He wasnt one to get two tons in a match, just went big once then didn't try in the other dig it seems

Himannv

International Coach
Truly phenomenal.

The only question mark I have is over the lack of an O'Reilly-level bowler in the opposition. I guess he faced him at FC level and put up the same numbers overall so maybe it wouldn't have made a difference.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It could have been higher looking at his innings. He followed so many massive scores with a failure. Check his 1930 scores. 4 scores under 20 and 4 tons. He wasnt one to get two tons in a match, just went big once then didn't try in the other dig it seems
Lots of players got ducks less frequently than him. He has the highest of runs in centuries by some margin. Curiously he doesn't hold records like most centuries in a series or in a row. But he was damn near impossible to dismiss once he got past 50, or even 150..
One wonders if it would be possible today with lower over rates and and no timeless tests but then again, had Bradman not existed a 100 average batsman would've been unfathomable in any age.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
At least the “new” member isn’t a statsmonger judging by the erroneous thread title. Or perhaps it’s a faulty keyboard.

Himannv

International Coach
Verity was just as great at FC level and perhaps his test average is inflated by facing a super human run machine..
Verity was a very good bowler obviously and Bradman has incredible numbers against him. O'Reilly was on a different level though and probably the best bowler of his era, followed closely by Grimmett.

trundler

Verity was a very good bowler obviously and Bradman has incredible numbers against him. O'Reilly was on a different level though and probably the best bowler of his era, followed closely by Grimmett.
Bradman thought Verity was harder to face than Grum. O'Reilly was #1 though.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
It's always hard when comparing eras. There was a thought that The Don disliked short pitched bowling but, apart from Larwood, did he face much? He came up against some very good bowlers (eg Bedser, Verity) whose figures would have looked a whole lot better without Bradman being around.
There is also a thought that he was vulnerable against leggies. To what extent was that because of his final test dismissal?
Regardless, his performances are without peer, but it would be interesting to have a time machine and have him facing some of the modern bowling greats.

aussie tragic

International Captain
What further proof is needed that he was an alien?

"Former lightning fast bowler Jeff Thomson says the most outstanding batsman he bowled to was not Viv Richards, Greg Chappell or David Gower, but a 70-year-old Don Bradman."

vcs

That Thomson anecdote seems almost hard to believe. Well, I guess, it's Bradman, so it's possible, but a 70 year old flaying a 25 odd year old in the prime of his career (who also happens to have been possibly the fastest and scariest quick ever) without using any protection... story was probably embellished a bit.

Daemon

He said he bowled like two deliveries and one was legspin or something

Bradman was flogging two other young bowlers

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Puts me in mind of a (possibly apocryphal) story I heard about Bradman that I've related previously: