• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Raw Pace but Sprays It All Over

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
Grimmett was known for being exceptionally accurate for a leg spinner, that he was not a tremendously big spinner of the ball would be part. As mentioned in the article an analysis of his career found only five wides and no no-balls.
Here is a faboulous up-close video of Grimmett bowling with Bradman commenting.

I really liked Grimmett’s quicker “over-spinner” that went straight-on to get batsman lbw.

bagapath

International Captain
Jeff Thomson....without a doubt Played with and against the man and even he admitted at more times than not "He was a bit wayward".....but at his sheer pace you could doubt his ability to take wickets
"Played with and against the man"
@JBMAC what a cool way to underplay your career to keep this playing field even for amateurs like us.
You should write long articles about different fast bowlers you've kept to and the batsmen whose game you've observed from close quarters!

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Patrick Patterson, at least early in his career: from Graeme Fowler's book "Fox on the Run" (about matches from 1984 and 1985):

"He has no idea where it is going when he lets it go, so he wasn't able to fire it into the blockhole."

"Patto ... slipped - presumably - and this ball came flying through head high at Jim Love... The next ball was a screaming bouncer... We reckoned the difference in length was about twenty yards, which says something about Patto's control."

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This thread has just about named every express-pace bowler there was. Are there any that didn't spray it all over in certain phases?

a massive zebra

International Captain
Ambrose was pretty quick in the first half of his career wasn't he? Yet his control was amongst the best of any fast bowler ever.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I would never claim to have bowled at 140kph. At my peak I was probably Bob Massie's pace (I played with him at club level). When in my mid 40s I was probably regarded as accurate dibbly dobbly.
did people make fun of the mutton chops on his baby face