• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Raw Pace but Sprays It All Over

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Steve Harmison - a fine bowler on his day, but prone to bowling wild/wide deliveries.

On the other side of the coin, here are some fine Test bowlers who never bowled a wide in their Test career.

Hadlee
Sobers
Botham
Grimmett
Gibbs
Underwood
Willis
Imran Khan
Trueman
Kapil Dev
Holding
Garner

Remarkably the last 2 never bowled a no ball.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On the other side of the coin, here are some fine Test bowlers who never bowled a wide in their Test career.

Hadlee
Sobers
Botham
Grimmett
Gibbs
Underwood
Willis
Imran Khan
Trueman
Kapil Dev
Holding
Garner

Remarkably the last 2 never bowled a no ball.
Almost all of those are false due to the fact scorecards did not consistently attribute extras until very recently. Grimmett and Underwood are the only ones who actually did so. Charles Davis has a run down in the September 7 entry: http://www.sportstats.com.au/BlogArchive2017.htm (including noting the incompleteness of the data).

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Almost all of those are false due to the fact scorecards did not consistently attribute extras until very recently. Grimmett and Underwood are the only ones who actually did so. Charles Davis has a run down in the September 7 entry: http://www.sportstats.com.au/BlogArchive2017.htm (including noting the incompleteness of the data).
Fair call. Yes, I remember when wides were simply 'extras' and weren't recorded against bowlers.

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
‘Grimmett and Underwood are the only ones who actually did so’

Underwood is not surprising, but no wides for a classical leg-spinner is pretty amazing.

Last edited:

JBMAC

State Captain
Jeff Thomson....without a doubt Played with and against the man and even he admitted at more times than not "He was a bit wayward".....but at his sheer pace you could doubt his ability to take wickets

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
‘Grimmett and Underwood are the only ones who actually did so’

Underwood is not surprising, but no wides for a classical leg-spinner is pretty amazing.
Grimmett was known for being exceptionally accurate for a leg spinner, that he was not a tremendously big spinner of the ball would be part. As mentioned in the article an analysis of his career found only five wides and no no-balls.

Last edited:

Kirkut

International Regular
RP Singh and Sreesanth during 2007-09 period. Both got tonked in ODIs at home for 6+ rpo but bowled with serious heat. RP Singh outpacing Dale Steyn in 2008 IPL says something.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I would never claim to have bowled at 140kph. At my peak I was probably Bob Massie's pace (I played with him at club level). When in my mid 40s I was probably regarded as accurate dibbly dobbly.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Ata-ur-Rehman was pretty quick but otherwise rubbish from memory?
He wasn't quick.
3rd seamer stuff. Didnt spray it either.

Saw a fair bit of him on tours to nz in early 90s. Way slower than the 2 Ws. Also slower than Aaqib Javed who he effectively replaced or completed for a position with.