• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ravindra Jadeja vs Vinoo Mankad vs Ashwin

The better all-rounder

• Mankad

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Jadeja

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Ashwin

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

Dissector

International Debutant
No surprises that I am going with the guy in my avatar. To add some context it's important to note that Mankad lost a big part of his career to WW2 and he played in a very weak team where he often had to bear a huge burden with both bat and ball, the famous Lords test being only the most dramatic example. In a better team with a full career, his numbers would have been even more impressive.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Laxman/Kohli
Pant/Dhoni
Jadeja
Kapil
Ashwin/Kumble
Bumrah
Shami/Ishant/Zaheer/Srinath/those old guys

7 guys pick themselves in the India atg team for me. 4 places have good alternatives and hence, tough to choose.
Kohli / Hazare > Azhar, VVS, GRV

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with this pretty much except if Jadeja is going to bat no.8 might as well put Ashwin who is the better spinner.

Jadeja at no.7 makes his batting more important and justifies his selection.
Yeah, also if Kumble is your other spinner, then Ashwin makes further sense over Jadeja due to the contrast he offers to Kumble, by spinning the ball [away from the left handers].

BazBall21

International Regular
No surprises that I am going with the guy in my avatar. To add some context it's important to note that Mankad lost a big part of his career to WW2 and he played in a very weak team where he often had to bear a huge burden with both bat and ball, the famous Lords test being only the most dramatic example. In a better team with a full career, his numbers would have been even more impressive.
He was a hell of a player for sure.

subshakerz

International Coach
Gavaskar
Shewag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Kohli
Pant
Jadeja
Dev
Ashwin
Bumrah
Srinath
That XI without Kumble just seems odd. I would play Jadeja at 7 if we are playing abroad or Ashwin at 8 if we are playing at home, but keep Kumble regardless.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Kohli
Pant
Mankad
Jadeja
Kapil
Ashwin
Bumrah

Bowlers averaging 30 or more are hovering around mediocrity(especially if they can't contribute much with the bat) and not welcome in my team.
I will pick a 3rd quick bowler when a future ATG pacer comes up, not now.

Also worth noting that this Indian team isn't going to beat many ATG teams abroad. Just play bat deep including the 3 all rounders in the OP imo, so that we can secure some draws.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
That XI without Kumble just seems odd. I would play Jadeja at 7 if we are playing abroad or Ashwin at 8 if we are playing at home, but keep Kumble regardless.
Ashwin and Jadeja unlike Kumble are very good in negative game in test matches. While three quicks prosper, these two are ideal foil to hold up an end. Kumble thrives not on spin but variable bounce. These two are better IMO when nothing is going in the way of spinners.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Kohli
Pant
Mankad
Jadeja
Kapil
Ashwin
Bumrah

Bowlers averaging 30 or more are hovering around mediocrity(especially if they can't contribute much with the bat) and not welcome in my team.
I will pick a 3rd quick bowler when a future ATG pacer comes up, not now.

Also worth noting that this Indian team isn't going to beat many ATG teams abroad. Just play bat deep including the 3 all rounders in the OP imo, so that we can secure some draws.
Srinath suffered due to lack of support. In today;s Indian team, you only need to ask him to bowl 12 - 15 overs per day, at full cry to get the batsmen hopping around and instill fear of damage to batsmen. Then more accurate Bumrah and Shami can do the rest. In addition, he is the best exponent of reverse swing bowling among Indians. I have seen Zaheer getting the recognition, but among non-Pakistanis, Srinath and Ravindra Pushpakumara were the first to work out reverse seing. Pushpakumara had it because he was an inferior copy of Waqar, but Srinath device out his own method. Then came Vaas and Zaheer. He was much better than Shami when the ball starts reverse swinging. Then he becomes a single handed destroyer. 6/21 in Ahmedabad is a good example.

subshakerz

International Coach
Ashwin and Jadeja unlike Kumble are very good in negative game in test matches. While three quicks prosper, these two are ideal foil to hold up an end. Kumble thrives not on spin but variable bounce. These two are better IMO when nothing is going in the way of spinners.
You can't win with only three strike bowlers. Kumble can potentially win you games overseas that Ashwin and Jadeja struggle to.

Aritro

International Regular
Mankad's bowling strike rate of 90 is interesting. Must have played some timeless tests?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
You can't win with only three strike bowlers. Kumble can potentially win you games overseas that Ashwin and Jadeja struggle to.
Well we are talking about three pace bowlers plus a spinner or three seamers plus two all rounders. Just the way you look at it.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
He is a very good one rather than great. He isn't going to be anywhere near as good as the 3rd/4th bowlers in other teams like Pollock, Garner, Waqar, Davidson or some one else. Picking him doesn't help us in eliminating defeat, when up against those teams. I would rather play Mankad/Jadeja/Nadkarni who won't be all that expensive with the ball, but can play a gritty knock with the bat to secure a draw.

Basically escaping to a draw >> honorable defeat.

Chrish

International Debutant
Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Laxman/Kohli
Pant/Dhoni
Jadeja
Kapil
Ashwin/Kumble
Bumrah
Shami/Ishant/Zaheer/Srinath/those old guys

7 guys pick themselves in the India atg team for me. 4 places have good alternatives and hence, tough to choose.
Laxman over Kohli at this point? Can Kohls still turn it around ?

Chrish

International Debutant
Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
VVS
Pant
Jadeja
Kapil
Ashwin
Bumrah
Shami

Of course there are players we are watching in their prime and there may be a recency bias (Pant, Bumrah (hardly bowled in SC), Shami etc.).

Chrish

International Debutant
Nah Kohli is still comfortably better than Laxman. Laxman waa never top tier like he was.
Will see. Considering Laxman debuted late, was forced to open against his will, and consistently scored against the best team of his time, I don’t know if Kohli is significantly better than VVS, especially considering his current state of form.

On a different note, I regret our interactions from the other thread. My bad! Hope you wouldn’t mind it too much :)

subshakerz

International Coach
Will see. Considering Laxman debuted late, was forced to open against his will, and consistently scored against the best team of his time, I don’t know if Kohli is significantly better than VVS, especially considering his current state of form.

On a different note, I regret our interactions from the other thread. My bad! Hope you wouldn’t mind it too much :)
No worries.