• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ravindra Jadeja vs Vinoo Mankad vs Ashwin

The better all-rounder

• Mankad

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Jadeja

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Ashwin

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Will see. Considering Laxman debuted late, was forced to open against his will, and consistently scored against the best team of his time, I don’t know if Kohli is significantly better than VVS, especially considering his current state of form.

On a different note, I regret our interactions from the other thread. My bad! Hope you wouldn’t mind it too much :)
An additional point is that Laxman is naturally suited to play at number 5 and that is his best position from where he has made so many atg innings shepherding the tail. Kohli has always played at 4.

subshakerz

International Coach
Picking Kohli to bat 5 for India ATG XI when he's basically never actually batted 5 is dumb

Also Laxman has had a ton of match-winning innings scattered over a long career, not a concentrated 4 year uber peak with crap either side like Kohli.
Kohli is not a regular no.3, and between batting 4 and 5 is not a huge difference, it's the same middle order. Nobody is going to mind if Lara, Viv or Tendulkar bat no.5 in an ATG XI.

Laxman had some top drawer innings but come on, nobody really thinks he was among the very best batsmen in the world even in his heyday, he lacked that extra level of consistency. Btw Kohli's peak was six years. from 2014 to 2019, and even before that he was averaging 40 plus. I understand the trend now is to dump on him but he legit looked like a confirmed ATG until his decline.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am unashamed VVS fanboy and Kohli hater and even I can't say with a straight face VVS was better. Kohli was putting up monster series everywhere against great attacks for a good 4 years. Laxman was nowhere near good enough to do that.

The funniest thing about this Kohli slander is that the things Kohli struggles with the most i.e. lateral movement applies just as much if not more to VVS. I have a very hard time believing his numbers wouldn't have taken a big dip in the current environment, he'd have an awful time of it if he had to tour England as frequently in bowler friendly conditions as Kohli has.

Flem274*

123/5
Picking Kohli to bat 5 for India ATG XI when he's basically never actually batted 5 is dumb
Ah yes, batting in the middle order, famous for being a stable position where you don't get moved around to suit team balance at all.

Kohli will be fine at #5. He might even flourish more, given the new friends he would have and the greater distance from anyone who bowls right arm outswing.