• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ravi Bopara - another pretender?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Your 10,000 posts at an "international level" undoubtedly make you more knowledgable about cricket. 8-)

What about Love and Law - average 50 at FC and not good enough to play tests...for Australia anyway?

You were speaking in generalities, not specifics. And since you are now looking at specifics and you are so knowledgable - What was the last test match D.Hussey played in? And ever wondered why Hussey was carving up County Cricket, but couldn't break into the Australian team? (his current form is a hint)
Love and Law didn't average over 50 in Australia. Try again...

My original was merely stating that the vast majority of Australians who average over 50 in first class cricket owe that to county cricket. What exactly was wrong with that post?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Your 10,000 posts at an "international level" undoubtedly make you more knowledgable about cricket. 8-)

What about Love and Law - average 50 at FC and not good enough to play tests...for Australia anyway?

You were speaking in generalities, not specifics. And since you are now looking at specifics and you are so knowledgable - What was the last test match D.Hussey played in? And ever wondered why Hussey was carving up County Cricket, but couldn't break into the Australian team? (his current form is a hint)
Way to miss the original point.

pup11

International Coach
Think the standard of county cricket is underated at least to a degree to a degree to be honest. Several very decent internation batsmen have had really torrid times. Michael Clarke for example was largely dissapointing for Hampshire, but then immediately after leaving went over to India and hit all those runs for Australia.
Didn't he string together three centuries in a row for Hampshire before heading down to India..?

Bloody Hell

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Love and Law didn't average over 50 in Australia. Try again...

My original was merely stating that the vast majority of Australians who average over 50 in first class cricket owe that to county cricket. What exactly was wrong with that post?
I did misunderstand your post - but I got the stick it remark.
Way to miss the original point.
I wasn't Robinson Crusoe.

If you can't see how "Tend to find the reason why so many Aussie batsman average over 50 is because they have played so much county cricket" could be interpreted the way I did then ...???

I'm not sure what's going on. I absolutely dominated when I first started posting in Forums at Club level. When I moved up to the State Forums I was very solid, while making posts of occasional very high standard. When these posts started being quite consistant I thought I was ready for the move up to the International forums, but now I have my doubts.

I might have to go back down to the State Forums and get a few solid posts behind me before making another attempt.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Nah fair enough mate, it was an honest mistake, I personally wasn't trying to chip away at you, stick around.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I did misunderstand your post - but I got the stick it remark.

I wasn't Robinson Crusoe.

If you can't see how "Tend to find the reason why so many Aussie batsman average over 50 is because they have played so much county cricket" could be interpreted the way I did then ...???

I'm not sure what's going on. I absolutely dominated when I first started posting in Forums at Club level. When I moved up to the State Forums I was very solid, while making posts of occasional very high standard. When these posts started being quite consistant I thought I was ready for the move up to the International forums, but now I have my doubts.

I might have to go back down to the State Forums and get a few solid posts behind me before making another attempt.
:laugh:

Don't worry mate. I'm sure it's not a technique thing but more just a case of having a little more self belief. Just get back to the basics and start posting in the V and I'm sure you'll be back on track sooner rather than later.

And remember, it's vitally important that you post in the nets as you would in the middle if you want to improve your game.

Pothas

Think the standard of county cricket is underated at least to a degree to a degree to be honest. Several very decent internation batsmen have had really torrid times. Michael Clarke for example was largely dissapointing for Hampshire, but then immediately after leaving went over to India and hit all those runs for Australia.
To be fair to Clarke he was pretty young when he played for Hampshire and was not anything like they player he is now. He also had no expierience of English conditions so it is not suprising that he struggled initially, whats more at the time the Rose Bowl was still a very difficut place to score runs, scored all his centuries away from home. If he had played for another county he would probably have comfortably averaged over 40 that season.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Bopara lacks the three main credentials to be an international class cricketer..

1. Mentality
2. Technique
3. Technique

Apart from that though, he is okay

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Bopara has the bad habit of shifting his weight back onto his front foot after going back. Means he can't get on top of the ball at times.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Unfortunately, our pig's arse of a domestic structure doesn't make it any clearer who should be there.
TBH, we could have the best domestic structure imagineable (and in any case it's not as bad as some sometimes make-out) and if the talent's not there, it's no use.

The latter, not the former, is the cause of the problems.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bopara has the bad habit of shifting his weight back onto his front foot after going back. Means he can't get on top of the ball at times.
Yeah, all the "soft" nonsense is just that - nonsense, wouldn't be said if Bopara was a northerner rather than a southerner. His problem is pretty simple - he hits the ball in the air far too much. Until he solves that problem, he won't be successful against a Test team that can catch (which West Indies couldn't - he had let-offs in each of his three successive centuries against them).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, all the "soft" nonsense is just that - nonsense, wouldn't be said if Bopara was a northerner rather than a southerner. His problem is pretty simple - he hits the ball in the air far too much. Until he solves that problem, he won't be successful against a Test team that can catch (which West Indies couldn't - he had let-offs in each of his three successive centuries against them).
Well firstly, people are saying it about Jimmeh (or agreeing with Langer, so the same thing) and he's a northerner.

Secondly, hitting the ball in the air clearly isn't his only problem, massive lbw candidate. How many times this series has he been out lbw? Feels like loads even if it isn't.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
TBH, we could have the best domestic structure imagineable (and in any case it's not as bad as some sometimes make-out) and if the talent's not there, it's no use.

The latter, not the former, is the cause of the problems.
I think they're linked. tbh it probably needs a separate thread in CC, but there are huge weaknesses. Take today's game between Middx & Essex, which is supposed to provide some sort of preparation for Cook & Bopara and maybe an indication of how Shah is playing. Now as it happens Shah's gone cheaply, but what would it prove if any of them made runs against D2 attacks? I know that others differ, but a system whereby we are trying to prepare guys for test cricket by allowing them develop their skills against the has beens & never-were-in-first-places that make up too many D2 attacks is bonkers. No wonder Shah & Bopara struggled in recent times having made a decent claim for a place on their county form.

Other issues are the butchering of the season to allow for 2 sets of 2020 group games, the standard of pitches and the number of 2nd rate overseas players preventing youngsters getting a run in the side. But ultimately we need a system where the better players get to play against decent opposition and, having been identified, can be properly developed with the best support available. That doesn't happen, and it won't in the current system.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well firstly, people are saying it about Jimmeh (or agreeing with Langer, so the same thing) and he's a northerner.
"Jimmeh" is a bowler, batsmen get called "soft" based on their strokeplay, not their actuality.
Secondly, hitting the ball in the air clearly isn't his only problem, massive lbw candidate. How many times this series has he been out lbw? Feels like loads even if it isn't.
At least two of them have been bad decisions. TBH though, most batsmen are lbw candidates, I don't think it's anything to worry about in his case.

The hitting the ball in the air, however, is something that's obvious, easy to exploit and will always get anyone, however hard and well they hit it, into trouble regularly.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
"Jimmeh" is a bowler, batsmen get called "soft" based on their strokeplay, not their actuality.

At least two of them have been bad decisions. TBH though, most batsmen are lbw candidates, I don't think it's anything to worry about in his case.

The hitting the ball in the air, however, is something that's obvious, easy to exploit and will always get anyone, however hard and well they hit it, into trouble regularly.
The 'softy' thing has nothing to do with them being either southern or batsmen Richard, it's just a perception of their mental strength, whether right or wrong. Bell is barely even a southerner anyway

Yeah, he's had two shockers, but why is that? Because he always looks so likely to get out lbw. I'd personally say that needs to be his first priority.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

Until he learns to hit the ball through mid-on, instead of working it square, he will remain a larger LBW candidate than most players.

Son Of Coco

Don't agree with this. If you walk across your stumps and try to play square of the wicket you're a much bigger LBW chance than if you play straight. Some batsmen are simply walking targets when it comes to LBW chances.