• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rate the Australian WC Winning Teams

Which of the Aus WC Winning Sides was the Greatest?

• 1987 - Border's Beasts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1999 - Waugh's Warriors

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • 2003 - Ponting's Perfectos

Votes: 24 50.0%
  • 2007 - Punter's Prizewinners

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • 2015 - Clarke's Conquerors

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2023 - Cumdog Millionaires

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
2015 team was stronger than this team:

Warner
Finch
Smith
Clarke
Watson
Maxwell
Faulkner
Haddin
Johnson
Starc
Hazlewood
They won against a decent side in the final whereas this side beat one that i thought was genuinely going to go down as an ATG ODI team. That counts for something. I don’t think their 2015 side would have won yesterday.

Jumno

U19 Captain
2007 - Don't think they were troubled throughout the tournament.
2003 - Bevan to the rescue against England, Symonds steadied the ship in the semi-final.
2015 - Once they got to the k/o stage they didn't look troubled.
2023 - Poor start, couple of close calls against Afghanistan and New Zealand. Won well when it mattered most.
1999 - Rode their luck.
1987 - N/A. I was only a couple of years old.
Don't forget Bevan against NZ and Symonds against Pakistan.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree that 07 > 03 in terms of performance even though in terms of ability is a bit more blurred. The closest the 07 side got to losing was maybe the England or Sri Lanka games (and both games were still fairly comfortably), whereas Australia were in serious trouble against England and New Zealand and were in a bit of trouble against Pakistan and the Sri Lanka semi. Still, those are clearly 1 & 2, and frankly 1 & 2 for all sides full stop.

2015 was pretty imposing for the most part. The only loss was extremely close, and while the Pakistan game was nervy it basically was only really competitive when the Jacket was fired up. Looks a strong side too, if perhaps not as loaded as the 2000's ones.

1999 was an interesting one. It was sudden death after a poor start, but other than the two South African games the other wins were pretty comfortable. And late 90's South Africa was an insane ODI side, they basically cruised that World Cup other than the Australian games and had won like 80% of their games over the previous 3 years. Frankly it would've been an insane WC to follow but I was only 5 at the time. Pretty similar to this one except this one wasn't quite sudden death all the way through (but this one had more close calls that Australia avoided).

Can't really say for 87, though it does look a weak side on paper and England wasn't great opposition to face off in a final.

So for me 2007 > 2003 > 2015 > 1999 > 2023.

Molehill

International Captain
2007 - Don't think they were troubled throughout the tournament.
2003 - Bevan to the rescue against England, Symonds steadied the ship in the semi-final.
2015 - Once they got to the k/o stage they didn't look troubled.
2023 - Poor start, couple of close calls against Afghanistan and New Zealand. Won well when it mattered most.
1999 - Rode their luck.
1987 - N/A. I was only a couple of years old.
I mean yeah, Bevan played a good knock, but I can't help thinking that game was more about Bichel!!

2003 for me. I think the competition was stronger (England were a decent team for example but got done by politics and weather). 2007 was just a poor quality World Cup and no surprise that a good Aussie team was never tested.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Are we talking about the strength of the sides or the greatness of the campaign?

If its the former, 03 and 07 are head and shoulders ahead. 07 was probably slightly better than 03

If its the latter, its this one. This is a bit of a shock really
**** poll @Burgey same thoughts here from me.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't know enough 1987 to say anything about that but otherwise 2023 is obviously the worst of the other five teams on paper and therefore the most impressive performance.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
2003 for me. That was when many of the very best players were at their zenith in a way that they weren't necessarily in 1999 and when they were on the downslope come 2007.

Molehill

International Captain
I don't know enough 1987 to say anything about that but otherwise 2023 is obviously the worst of the other five teams on paper and therefore the most impressive performance.
1987 is just funny. I'm still not sure how not especially good Australia/England teams found themselves in a World Cup Final in India. It's not like the two were dominating World Cricket at the time!!

2023 is impressive in that Australia got themselves to a Final, despite carrying passengers and key players not really being in that great form up to that point, where they could apply some pressure to the hot favourites and see what happened.....

Victor Ian

International Coach
If I remember all the reports at the time, 1987 was when Australia revolutionised ODI cricket, and then all cricket by making fielding an essential skill and being better at it than everyone else.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If I remember all the reports at the time, 1987 was when Australia revolutionised ODI cricket, and then all cricket by making fielding an essential skill and being better at it than everyone else.
I've heard that said about SL in '96 too. Think the '87 Aussies also get credit for being the first side to weaponize cutters and slower balls at the death. O'Donnell in particular seems to have been a revolutionary player AFAIK.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The ‘87 WC was as important as any as we were just about the worst team in the world at the time & it represented the start of our comeback

Victor Ian

International Coach
I've heard that said about SL in '96 too. Think the '87 Aussies also get credit for being the first side to weaponize cutters and slower balls at the death. O'Donnell in particular seems to have been a revolutionary player AFAIK.
yeah - that was definitely a thing too. As social said - Australia were a smelly turd after a lawn mower had run over it before 87. But Bob Simpson (I think) coached some innovative aspects into the team to make them better than their laughable core skill abilities.
After that, I think they pushed to have Simpson become a full time coach of the test team too, and then Australia started to turn themselves around.