• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rate the Australian WC Winning Teams

Which of the Aus WC Winning Sides was the Greatest?

• 1987 - Border's Beasts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1999 - Waugh's Warriors

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • 2003 - Ponting's Perfectos

Votes: 24 50.0%
  • 2007 - Punter's Prizewinners

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • 2015 - Clarke's Conquerors

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2023 - Cumdog Millionaires

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's got to be a bit of both. Ponting in 2003 was his absolute peak and he was nowhere near as good a player in 1999
From #6 at the start of '99 to #3 at the start of '03 according to the official world rankings

Keep in mind how much more of a bowlers game it was in the 90s too

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From #6 at the start of '99 to #3 at the start of '03 according to the rankings

Keep in mind how much more of a bowlers game it was in the 90s too
I don't care what the rankings said, I watched this religiously. Ponting was a very good ODI bat in 1999. Not one of the best in the world though. 2003 he was in god mode. He made 3 Test double centuries in 2003. No one came close to him

I am very surprised that he was ranked as high as 6 in 1999 though

Last edited:

trundler

Between the current one and 87 for the wooden spoon.

Warner > Boon
Head > Marsh
Marsh < Jones
Smith > Border
Labuschagne < Veletta
Maxwell = Waugh
Inglis < Dyer (probably)
Cummins < O'Donnell
Starc > McDermott
Zampa > May

mr_mister

I don't care what the rankings said, I watched this religiously. Ponting was a very good ODI bat in 1999. Not one of the best in the world though. 2003 he was in god mode. He made 3 Test double centuries in 2003. No one came close to him

I am very surprised that he was ranked as high as 6 in 1999 though
Would you be surprised if I told you Ricky only scored 61 more runs in his '03 WC campaign then '99 WC

As well as scoring more runs combined across the 98-99 calendar years then 02-03 ones

I feel like there's a tiny bit of conflating his 90s up and down test career with his ODI one

mr_mister

Oh and since you had Bevan as equal 99-03 I would like to say '99 Bevans career average was almost 10 runs higher than 03 Bevan

1999 reigns supreme

TheJediBrah

Oh and since you had Bevan as equal 99-03 I would like to say '99 Bevans career average was almost 10 runs higher than 03 Bevan

1999 reigns supreme
No Bevan won 2 low-scoring games in 2003 off his own bat

1999 has no argument. Vastly inferior to 2003. At least 2007 is close and have an argument

mr_mister

No Bevan won 2 low-scoring games in 2003 off his own bat

1999 has no argument. Vastly inferior to 2003. At least 2007 is close and have an argument
Warne got MOTM in the SF and Final

Steve Waughs 120* was arguably the GOAT WC innings at the time

Mark Waugh is considered on CW to be a moderate upgrade on Hayden as an opener generally

It's not as clear cut as you're making it seem

TheJediBrah

Warne got MOTM in the SF and Final

Steve Waughs 120* was arguably the GOAT WC innings at the time

Mark Waugh is considered on CW to be a moderate upgrade on Hayden as an opener generally

It's not as clear cut as you're making it seem
Mark Waugh isn't an upgrade on Hayden

Steve Waugh played a great innings but isn't much of an upgrade on Martyn. In fact Martyn probably has him covered as an ODI bat.

I'll accept saying Warne > Hogg on WC performance but I don't think the difference is that much

So all those differences in favour of 1999 are debatable or minor at best. Whereas 2003 has Symonds > Moody and Lee/Gillespie > Reiffel/Dale/Julian which are huge improvements

mr_mister

Mark Waugh isn't an upgrade on Hayden

Steve Waugh played a great innings but isn't much of an upgrade on Martyn. In fact Martyn probably has him covered as an ODI bat.

I'll accept saying Warne > Hogg on WC performance but I don't think the difference is that much

So all those differences in favour of 1999 are debatable or minor at best. Whereas 2003 has Symonds > Moody and Lee/Gillespie > Reiffel/Dale/Julian which are huge improvements

Junior made the 2nd All time XI team, Hayden the 5th, if you value CW consensus at all (post 725)

Junior just faced such harder bowlers than Haydos for pretty similar career stats

TheJediBrah

Junior made the 2nd All time XI team, Hayden the 5th, if you value CW consensus at all (post 725)

Junior just faced such harder bowlers than Haydos for pretty similar career stats
I don't

But you keep ignoring the huge differences to push the minor ones

none of that comes close to making up for Symonds and Lee replacing Moody and Reiffel

mr_mister

But okay, I'll give you Dale and Julian were pretty meh. Though barely featured beyond a group stage game or two

Moody actually had a pretty impressive tournament, averaged 100 or something

mr_mister

I don't

But you keep ignoring the huge differences to push the minor ones

none of that comes close to making up for Symonds and Lee replacing Moody and Reiffel
If I can make up enough ground on the minor differences it can negate Symonds and Lee

TheJediBrah

If I can make up enough ground on the minor differences it can negate Symonds and Lee
Not even close
But okay, I'll give you Dale and Julian were pretty meh. Though barely featured beyond a group stage game or two

Moody actually had a pretty impressive tournament, averaged 100 or something
Between Dale, Julian and Reiffel they played a full tournament as the 4th bowler

They are competing with Lee in 2003

Burgey

I can't remember in 2007 if the lower middle order ever got to bat. They just demolished every single team. On performance alone they're the best
There was one game in 2007 where they changed the batting order to give Mike Hussey a hit ffs. It was a walk in the park for that side

Redbacks

International Captain
I think M Waugh was better than Hayden, but Hayden 06/07 was in God mode near the end of his career which makes memories of him better.