• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Racial Slur or Misunderstanding?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty simple isn't it? Obviously cricketers with Asian background are much more likely to represent England, Australia or New Zealand because so many immigrate there. Relatively speaking much fewer white people immigrate to India, Pakistan or Sri Lanka as far as I'm aware so that would explain why there aren't white cricketers playing for those countries.

Not sure about the West Indies but they have had Brendan Nash since then
Exactly, so I don't understand the issue about racism here.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Marlon Vonhagt looks partially white - represented Sri Lanka in 1 ODI
Duncan Sharpe is Anglo - represented Pakistan in 3 Tests

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Graeme Labrooy and Michael Vandort, who both played tests for Sri Lanka, are classed as Burghers, suggesting they're of at least partial Anglo ancestry.

Chubb

International Regular
Graeme Labrooy and Michael Vandort, who both played tests for Sri Lanka, are classed as Burghers, suggesting they're of at least partial Anglo ancestry.
Happened speak to Ruchira Palliaguruge on an NZ domestic flight during the 2015 world cup. I mentioned that I’d always rated Michael Vandort as a test opener and asked why he hadn’t played for SL as much as he could have done. I asked if him being a Burgher had anything to do with it – Ruchira said that it wasn't and race/religion was not really an issue in Sri Lankan selection.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Pretty simple isn't it? Obviously cricketers with Asian background are much more likely to represent England, Australia or New Zealand because so many immigrate there. Relatively speaking much fewer white people immigrate to India, Pakistan or Sri Lanka as far as I'm aware so that would explain why there aren't white cricketers playing for those countries.

Not sure about the West Indies but they have had Brendan Nash since then
India has about a million anglo-indians though and it used to be higher, still not a huge percentage, but typically being better off one might expect somewhat higher representation of them.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Happened speak to Ruchira Palliaguruge on an NZ domestic flight during the 2015 world cup. I mentioned that I’d always rated Michael Vandort as a test opener and asked why he hadn’t played for SL as much as he could have done. I asked if him being a Burgher had anything to do with it – Ruchira said that it wasn't and race/religion was not really an issue in Sri Lankan selection.
Vandort was one of the weirder looking units out there. Like a gangly 4-limbed spider. Would have been about 6'5 and 70kg

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah pretty sure that was in Melbourne. Hilarious innings. Came in early and showed no will to score runs at any stage.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
India has about a million anglo-indians though and it used to be higher, still not a huge percentage, but typically being better off one might expect somewhat higher representation of them.
The school I went to in Bangalore had a decent number of them, their sport of choice tended to be hockey or football. Roger and Stuart Binny are the only ones I believe to have played test cricket, not sure if Connor Williams or Jacob Martin or Sheldon Jackson are of similar heritage.

Barrington Rowland was considered a promising opener when playing for Karnataka before emigrating to NZ (a common practice among the community I think). TN's Reuben Paul was sort of seen as a contender for the keeper's spot in the 90's, but given that Saba Karim, MSK Prasad and Vijay Yadav all acted as replacements for Mongia at some point in that decade, doubt he was ever really in the frame.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In a country of 1.3 billion, 1 million is about 0.0008% of the population though.

Given both the Binnys played for India, Anglo-Indians are probably over-represented as a demographic even if they're the only Anglo-Indians to play for their country.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Brian labrooy played for Sri Lanka when it was still named Ceylon, he is a member at my club in enfield London. He's a good family friend and been with us for 25 years, was the best bat I have seen in club cricket and a very funny man too. He is about 80 years old now.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
In a country of 1.3 billion, 1 million is about 0.0008% of the population though.

Given both the Binnys played for India, Anglo-Indians are probably over-represented as a demographic even if they're the only Anglo-Indians to play for their country.
what? it's 0.08%

still over-represented though based on those numbers unless more than 2600 people have played for India

Last edited:

srbhkshk

International Captain

It's 0.08%. about 1 in 1300, you are probably right anyway I suppose.

Edit - Chewie beat me to it. It's still over-represented but not grossly so I suppose.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting dig - I'd completely forgotten about this - one of my regrets in life is having offered Mr Henderson a right of reply, but I was young and idealistic back then