• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rachin -The Kiwi wonderkid

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Wow pretty good. Technically excellent but there are other things that would impress me even more if I saw them. Still, I wish I was that good now, let alone at 6.

PY

International Coach
Jeez Louise, if he's 6 yrs old then he's pretty darn good.

As someone mentions, the shot after 97 seconds is unbelievable for a 6yo. Also the way he adjusts his wrist positions depending on deviation off the pitch is incredible.

Helps that it looks like he knew exactly where each ball was to be bowled and when, but still....wow.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
He is certainly special for his age.

Tho reading comments about him already being targeted for future International honours is laughable. People develop at different rates. Being good at that age means nothing in the long run, as impressive as it is.

BTW, what a strange world we live in now that a 6 yr old from the opposite side of the World (for me) is showing their ability and Im watching and commenting. Information age gone too far?

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Incredible but... ugh, can't believe people have put a video of him up online. It sickens me to see talk of 13, 14 year old footballers commanding huge (six-figure) transfer fees in the press over here, but to see a 6-year-old on YouTube, and then someone (his father?) discussing his cricket with other people from across the world is just plain wrong. Stupid amount of pressure.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dunno - it depends. I don't know how much pressure the kid has in his daily life. The father could have just posted the videos like people post spelling bees and such - it doesn't necessarily have to translate to any pressure. It all depends on the father obviously.

And yes, predicting any professional cricket, let alone international cricket is beyond crazy at such an age.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The issue when coaching young guys (even upto a lot older than this kid) is that you are not coaching them to be the best they possibly can be at that age but coaching them to develop and grow for the future.

I prefer the link (though still dont like the title) of the 5 year old. Its far more natural and free. There is a lack of structured play that I find more than a little sad and awkward in a 6 year old.

He is learning technique at 6 when that technique will have to be completely re-worked when he is in his teens.

PY

International Coach
Would it not become 2nd nature to him though if it is engrained now Goughy? Not done any coaching of kids through age groups so haven't any experience.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm guessing by the comments of those who know more about coaching than I do that this is indeed unusual, both the kids linked to by Xu and As.

I guess we'll have someone to look-out for in 10 years' time. Or maybe not, as they might both go off cricket completely in 4 years' time and start doing something else. :)

As said - interesting, certainly, but not neccessarily any big predictions.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Would it not become 2nd nature to him though if it is engrained now Goughy? Not done any coaching of kids through age groups so haven't any experience.
Thats the problem. He is learning technique at 6 which looks very impressive at 6 but that doesnt translate to batting when you get older.

Anything as structured as this gets out grown and it is difficult to readjust after you have been fed into this technique at such a young age.

Thats why we dont want kids (lets say a 10 year old) to be the best they can be at 10 as what it takes to look good and be successful at 10 is actually a hinderance in developing further as they get older. It stifles and leads to bad habits that are hard to kick.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Thats the problem. He is learning technique at 6 which looks very impressive at 6 but that doesnt translate to batting when you get older.

Anything as structured as this gets out grown and it is difficult to readjust after you have been fed into this technique at such a young age.

Thats why we dont want kids (lets say a 10 year old) to be the best they can be at 10 as what it takes to look good and be successful at 10 is actually a hinderance in developing further as they get older. It stifles and leads to bad habits that are hard to kick.
Goughy, that may be true for every other kid but maybe this kid is one of those special talents that come once in every 20-30 years.

When Sachin came in to the side at 16 he had a near perfect technique who knows maybe at a very young age he also batted like this kid since you have to remember he excelled in all age class competitions.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy, that may be true for every other kid but maybe this kid is one of those special talents that come once in every 20-30 years.

When Sachin came in to the side at 16 he had a near perfect technique who knows maybe at a very young age he also batted like this kid since you have to remember he excelled in all age class competitions.
Ok, put your money where your mouth is.

Avatar challenge. I bet you 1 week that he doesnt score 5000 Test runs :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I regret to tell you that it's unlikely both of you will be posting on CW in 2035. :( If you are, however, I shall naturally dig this thread.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I regret to tell you that it's unlikely both of you will be posting on CW in 2035. :( If you are, however, I shall naturally dig this thread.
With the batting stocks that the Kiwis usually have, if the lad keeps up the good work then I expect him to get in the team by 2014 and then to score 1000+ each year so expect this post digging to take place by 2019-2020:p

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Haha, so awesome. Loved it. Bit worried for the kid. Though apparently he does a bit of swimming and martial arts, but cricket is his passion and he wants to spend 24/7 playing it. So if he loves it, I reckon it's an awesome thing. :)