• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quiz for the MASTER CRICKET BOOK BUFF

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I have always felt that the game never attained such heights as in the Thirteenth Century B.C., when one of Nausicaa's maids fumbled what could only have been a scorching cover drive. Admittedly, the game was afflicted by cretins even then: a streaking Odysseus provided the first example of "match abandoned".
:laugh:

archie mac

International Coach
Of all the English athletic games, none, perhaps, presents, so fine a scope for bringing into full and constant play the qualities both of mind and body as that of Cricket. A man who is essentially stupid will not make a fine cricketer; neither will he who is essentially non-active. He must be active in all his faculties - he must be active in mind to prepare for every advantage, and active in eye and limb, to avail himself of those advantages. He must be cool tempered, and in the best sense of the word, MANLY; for he must be able to endure fatigue, and to make light of pain; since like all atheltic sports, Cricket is not unattended with danger, resulting from inattention or inexperience; the accidents most comonly attendant upon the players at cricket arising from unwatchfulness or slowness of eye. A short-sighted person is as unfit to become a cricketer, as one deaf would be to discriminate the most delicate gradations and varieties of tone; added to which, added to which he must be in constant jeopardy of serious injury.
This is a passage from a famous cricket book written by a legend.

This particular bit is from the introduction and not written by the author of the book.

As usual, you have to guess the name of the book, the author and the subject of the book.
Is Cardus involved?

neville cardus

International Debutant
My brass, limited though it is, is on William Hamilton Maxwell, the Scottish-Irish author of O'Hara and Stories from Waterloo. Please don't keep me waiting; I am (as is my wont when humiliation is eminent) holding my breath.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Of all the English athletic games, none, perhaps, presents, so fine a scope for bringing into full and constant play the qualities both of mind and body as that of Cricket. A man who is essentially stupid will not make a fine cricketer; neither will he who is essentially non-active. He must be active in all his faculties - he must be active in mind to prepare for every advantage, and active in eye and limb, to avail himself of those advantages. He must be cool tempered, and in the best sense of the word, MANLY; for he must be able to endure fatigue, and to make light of pain; since like all atheltic sports, Cricket is not unattended with danger, resulting from inattention or inexperience; the accidents most comonly attendant upon the players at cricket arising from unwatchfulness or slowness of eye. A short-sighted person is as unfit to become a cricketer, as one deaf would be to discriminate the most delicate gradations and varieties of tone; added to which, added to which he must be in constant jeopardy of serious injury.
This is a passage from a famous cricket book written by a legend.

This particular bit is from the introduction and not written by the author of the book.

As usual, you have to guess the name of the book, the author and the subject of the book.

Q1. Is Cardus involved?.......NO

Q2. Was it written before 1950?........YES

Q3. William Hamilton O'Hara ? ........ NO

Sorry for keeping you waiting for a couple of days NC. I had gone up to the Lake District and returned last night.
:)

neville cardus

International Debutant
No idea, then, because it appears in my copy of O'Hara's The Field Book (published, significantly, in 1833) with no byline.

EDIT: Quite how I am typing this I do not know, for I suffocated more than 24 hours ago.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
No idea, then, because it appears in my copy of O'Hara's The Field Book (published, significantly, in 1833) with no byline.

EDIT: Quite how I am typing this I do not know, for I suffocated more than 24 hours ago.
Well I can only comment that this wasn't a bad try :)

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I originally thought WG must be involved somewhere but if its pre 1833 I am baffled - that rules out Felix, The various Lillywhites, Wisden, Pycroft and Denison

pre 1833 I can think of Bentley, Britcher and Epps but little or no narrative in their work.

That leaves Nyren and Boxall

Anywhere near?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I originally thought WG must be involved somewhere but if its pre 1833 I am baffled - that rules out Felix, The various Lillywhites, Wisden, Pycroft and Denison

pre 1833 I can think of Bentley, Britcher and Epps but little or no narrative in their work.

That leaves Nyren and Boxall

Anywhere near?
The writer of the book is Nyren. So you have that correct.

That bit I quoted was from the introduction to the book and was by C.C.C. (Charles Cowden Clarke).

neville cardus

International Debutant
My turn, presumably:

"I should have hit the perisher!" (or, according to another version, "I should have hit the flaming thing!")

Who said this and of what was he speaking?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thats a moving target if ever there was one - has any man who has wielded the willow in anger not uttered one or other of those ?

stumpski

International Captain
Complete stab in the dark - first thing that comes to mind is Cliff Gladwin's famous leg-bye off the last ball to win a Test against South Africa. No idea what book that would've come from though.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
My turn, presumably:

"I should have hit the perisher!" (or, according to another version, "I should have hit the flaming thing!")

Who said this and of what was he speaking?
You have to give a big, continuous quote (150-200 words) from the book, Rodney.