• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quiz for the MASTER CRICKET BOOK BUFF

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am reading a Thomson now about Hirst and Rhodes
Yes. its very nice. One of my favourite passage is early in the book where he talks of Hirst's fabulous bowling in 1901, particularly against Essex where he took 7 for 12 and 5 for 17 in the two innings. The whole year was great and Thomson writes of Hirst's reaction on being reminded of those "triumphs"....

"Ah", he said,"you should have seen my figures in that Somerset match - one for 189!"

Thomson does not dwell on the fabulous memory of the great left hander in remembering the exact number of runs scored off him so readily half a century ago and goes on to tell about the match in which he was so 'maltreated' by Somerset in their second innings, after the miserable 87 in their first essay (and a lead to Yorkshire of 238). Open up the cricketarchives and you find the score card to see that they scored 630 in the second knock and then rubbed iot in by bundling Yorks out for 113.

But Thomson does not give us that much of stats. He just tells how.....

.....when the last Yorkshire wicket fell, Sammy Woods, usually a loquacious character, did not speak, but rushed out of the Headingley ground, leaped into a cab, set off furiously towards the hotel where his team was staying, rushed into the bar and finally broke silence with one resplendent word: 'Champagne!'

The period you will remember, was that of the Boer War and many a cricketer was soldiering on the South African veldt. FS Jackson...was an officer in the Yorkshire Yeomanry, and....was inspecting his lines. The barbed wire suddenly twitched and from its lowest strand crawled a scrubby, unshaven figure in ragged khaki. who was plainly either a scarecrow or an escaped prisoner of war.

Inside the wire the scarecrow scrambled upright and saluted.

"Colonel Jackson, sir?"
"Thats so."
"Then excuse me, sir." The scarecrow's voice, speaking in the rich tones of the West Riding, expressed the grave conditions demanded by a military situation. "How did Yorkshire get on again' Somerset"
"It was a bad do. Yorkshire lost by 279 runs"
"Well, by gow ------"
"Here, where are you off to?"
"I'm off back to t'Boers !"

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I think I should write some reviews for you to increase the proportion of old books in your list. :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Does the title contain the words Philadelphia and/or cricket ?

If not, does it contain the words annual or manual?

archie mac

International Coach
I can understand that people want reviews of new books because they dont find any interest in old books which is a shame because there is some great literature in the game.

WE should put up more reviews of older books for two reasons I feel, one their is some fabulous stuff waiting to b e read and secondly they are still available to those who are willing to look for them and mostly for a fraction of what you have to pay for a new book.

Most of all because I am convinced the game of cricket in its best form (read Test matches) has its best chance of surviving if people understood the game better than the young people do nowadays and understanding cricket and loving it has a lot to do with knowing its past.
You have to give them what they want, and just slip in the occasional bit of history:)

Yes. its very nice. One of my favourite passage is early in the book where he talks of Hirst's fabulous bowling in 1901, particularly against Essex where he took 7 for 12 and 5 for 17 in the two innings. The whole year was great and Thomson writes of Hirst's reaction on being reminded of those "triumphs"....

"Ah", he said,"you should have seen my figures in that Somerset match - one for 189!"

Thomson does not dwell on the fabulous memory of the great left hander in remembering the exact number of runs scored off him so readily half a century ago and goes on to tell about the match in which he was so 'maltreated' by Somerset in their second innings, after the miserable 87 in their first essay (and a lead to Yorkshire of 238). Open up the cricketarchives and you find the score card to see that they scored 630 in the second knock and then rubbed iot in by bundling Yorks out for 113.

But Thomson does not give us that much of stats. He just tells how.....

.....when the last Yorkshire wicket fell, Sammy Woods, usually a loquacious character, did not speak, but rushed out of the Headingley ground, leaped into a cab, set off furiously towards the hotel where his team was staying, rushed into the bar and finally broke silence with one resplendent word: 'Champagne!'

The period you will remember, was that of the Boer War and many a cricketer was soldiering on the South African veldt. FS Jackson...was an officer in the Yorkshire Yeomanry, and....was inspecting his lines. The barbed wire suddenly twitched and from its lowest strand crawled a scrubby, unshaven figure in ragged khaki. who was plainly either a scarecrow or an escaped prisoner of war.

Inside the wire the scarecrow scrambled upright and saluted.

"Colonel Jackson, sir?"
"Thats so."
"Then excuse me, sir." The scarecrow's voice, speaking in the rich tones of the West Riding, expressed the grave conditions demanded by a military situation. "How did Yorkshire get on again' Somerset"
"It was a bad do. Yorkshire lost by 279 runs"
"Well, by gow ------"
"Here, where are you off to?"
"I'm off back to t'Boers !"
Yes great stuff, I love the bit about poor Booby Peel and his last match for Yorkshire

I think I should write some reviews for you to increase the proportion of old books in your list. :)
That would be great SJS, anything you like, although we try to keep them to 500 words, but with your quality writing we can stretch it to 600:cool:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, it is not an especially scholarly work either, more in the spirit of Cardus and Thomson than Stoddart and Birley.
Is it Ian Peebles ramble round the realm of cricket?