• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quiz Draft

Howe_zat

Audio File
GF submits the following for comment.

So given that the only criteria I was going with in the Quiz Draft was entertainers, I've would up with the following team:

1. Marcus Trescothick
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Brian Lara
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. David Gower
6. Mark Waugh
7. Andrew Flintoff
8. Jeff Dujon
9. Shane Warne
10. Michael Holding
11. Shoaib Akhtar

I think I've done not too badly.

weeman27bob

International Regular
When cricket was played by gentlemen XI

Playing XI

Bill Ponsford – RHB, 29 matches, 2122 runs @48.22 with 7 100’s (13819 FC Runs @65.18 with 47 100’s)

The only player in first class cricket to have exceed 400 twice, Ponsford was a run scoring machine, notching up four triple centuries alongside his two quadruples. The discrepancy in his average, 17 runs, is explained by a combination of illness, injury and Bodyline. On top form in 1934, his dismantled England’s bowling attack, topping the batting averages with 569 runs at an average of 95. Not only was he a superb batsmen he was a brilliant outfielder despite being red-green colour blind.

Bill Woodfull – RHB, 35 matches, 2300 runs @46.00 with 7 100’s (13388 FC Runs @64.99 with 49 100’s )

Ponsford’s partner in crime, Bill Woodfull, was a quality batsman in his own right. Despite being a defensive player by nature, he hit powerful shots all over the wicket. However he was at his best with Ponsford, with 23 three-figure partnerships in cricket, including one of 375. As a captain he was known as a gentleman, with the deepest respect for all players of the game, refusing to retaliate to Bodyline and happily moving round the batting order to accommodate other players.

Saeed Anwar – LHB, 55 matches, 4052 runs @45.52 with 11 100’s and 25 50’s.

Although an opener by trade, Anward fits into this team as an aggressive, stroke playing number three. A keen driver of the ball through the offside, he flourished whenever a bowler offered him any width. His game was completed with nimble footwork against spin, and a languish flick of a ball pitching outside off stump to the midwicket boundary.

Patsy Hendren – RHB, 51 matches, 3625 runs @47.63 with 7 100’s and 21 50’s (57611 FC runs @50.80 with 170 100’s)

Not content with being one of the best batsmen of his time, Patsy Hendren was an exceedingly popular cricketer famed for his flashing square cut, lofted on-drive and devilish hooking. At 170 first-class centuries he sits in second place behind Jack Hobbs. Despite arriving relatively late to the Test scene, he showed his prowess there too notching up seven centuries at an impressive average. His ability as a deep fieldsman is illustrated to some extent by the number of catches he brought off, 725, but the number of runs he saved cannot be gauged. His wit and charm made him a popular fellow on tour, but it is run scoring that most defines him, scoring 3,000 runs in three different seasons, as well as a further 12 seasons in excess of 2,000 runs.

Zaheer Abbas – RHB, 78 matches, 5062 runs @44.79 with 12 100’s (34,843 FC runs @51.54 with 108 100’s)

Abbas provides a further touch of class to the batting line-up. With a high back-lift he elegantly guided the ball to all areas of the pitch, more often than not the boundary. Dubbed the Asian Bradman, four of his twelve test centuries were doubles, including his maiden century against England. Zaheer was at his best against the Indian spin quartet of the late 70’s knocking up scores of 176, 96 and 235 in one memorable set of successive innings. His tally of 583 runs in a short rubber was then a world record. His 108 first class hundreds, the only Asian batsmen to achieve this milestone, show his class.

Les Ames – RHB, 47 matches, 2434 runs @40.56 with 8 100’s, 74 catches, 23 stumpings (37,248 FC runs @43.51 with 102 100’s, 703 catches, 418 stumpings)

Not many keepers could bat at six in an eleven like this, but as one of the greatest wicket-keeper batsmen of all time, if anyone can, it’s Les Ames. A fluent classical batsman with a magnificent drive, quick feet and a strong pull Ames was a quick run scorer, scoring at nearly 50 runs an hour throughout his career. His 102 first class centuries represent just what a strong batsmen he was. However, equally as strong a component to his game was his keeping. He saw the ball so early that he was invariably in the right position without having to throw himself about. His glovework was neat and economical, his stumpings almost apologetic. His 418 stumpings are the most by any player, and will prove very useful in complementing the strong spin attack. Like many members of the team, Ames was a quiet man, any flattery would see him unmoved: he could never understand what all the fuss was about. Perhaps the best all-round keeper ever, Ames provides that extra touch of greatness to the side.

Hedley Verity, RHB/SLA, 40 matches, 669 runs @20.90, 144 wickets @24.37 (1,965 wickets @14.90)

The war deprived him of perhaps the prime of his career, but more importantly his life. Verity was never a great spinner of the ball, instead relying on impeccable accuracy and variety for his wickets, which were never in short supply. Verity took Bradman’s wicket more times in tests than any other bowler, and the great man considered him one of the best spinners the world has produced saying “Undoubtedly he was one of the greatest slow left-handed spinners of all time”. His first class average was by far the best of his time, but could perhaps have been better. He often let up when his team was in a winning position, much preferring to bowl on the frequent batsmen friendly surfaces of the time, working for his wickets. That didn’t prevent him from taking 10 wickets in an innings for just 10 runs in 1931, before repeating the ten-wicket haul in 1932. He succeeded at test level too, at the time he reached 100 wickets he was the fastest England bowler to do so and his 15 for 104 at Lord’s ranks among the top bowling performances of all time. Verity was no mug with the bat either, often being mistaken for an out of form Sutcliffe, by no means a bad comparison.

Merv Hughes, RHB/RF, 53 matches, 1033 runs @16.64, 212 wickets @28.38

Merv Hughes. A crowd favourite, he was a lively character armed with an imposing run-up and delivery action, a classic fast bowlers' glare down the pitch, a mischievous sense of humour and a moustache of such incredible proportions it was insured for £200,000. Equally as effective as a stock bowler and a spearhead, Hughes is the third seamer in this impressive line-up, but his quality is not to be sniffed at, especially once he added accuracy and variation to his raw pace by the middle of his career.

Fred Trueman, RHB/RF, 67 matches, 981 runs @13.81, 307 wickets @21.57 (2304 FC wickets @18.29)

T'greatest bloody fast bowler that ever drew breath. The first man to take 300 test wickets was truly one of the world’s great bowlers. Raw pace was combined with consistent outswing and great stamina. He could move the ball both ways and possessed a potent yorker. His fiery charisma often got him into trouble off the pitch, but on it he was a wicket taking machine, helping to reduce India to 0-4 and then taking 8-31 in his first series. His impressive average was combined with a staggering strike right. Batsmen didn’t last long at the wicket when Fred was around. A fine fielder, especially in close but also in the deep with the ability to throw from both hands. As a new ball bowler he brings a lot to the team and would be a handful for any batsman.

Curtly Ambrose LHB/RF, 98 matches, 1439 runs @12.40, 405 wickets @20.99

“Curtly talk to no man”. And he didn’t need to, he let his bowling do the talking. Releasing the ball from higher than ten feet he was always going to get lots of bounce, but this was combined with accuracy and subtle seam movement. 2 in every 7 overs that he bowled was a maiden, tying the batsmen down before taking their wicket. Two spells in his career stand out: 6 for 24 that hustled England out for 46 in Trinidad in 1993-94, and his series-clinching burst of 7 for 1 in 32 deliveries against Australia at the WACA the previous season. A fiery competitor on the field, but a gentle giant off the field, Ambrose will form an impressive new ball partnership with Fred Trueman.

Tich Freeman RHB/LB, 12 matches, 154 runs @14.00, 66 wickets @25.86 (3776 FC wickets @18.42)

If ever there were a bowler who’s test career didn’t do him justice, it was Tich Freeman. 66 wickets at 26 apiece is hardly a bad return, but he deserved far more. Only Rhodes has taken more first class wickets, but his extra 421 wickets took him 515 games more. Freeman’s 3776 wickets came in just 592 games. Between 1928 and 1934 he took over 200 wickets a season, including 304 in what was otherwise a batsmen’s season of 1928. No other bowler has taken 10 wickets in an innings three times. No other bowler has taken 17 wickets in a match twice. His legbreaks, googlies and top-spinners were combined with careful variation of flight and speed. He was aided in his phenomenal wicket-taking by Les Ames behind the stumps, taking dismissal after dismissal. While not always at his best at the great batsmen, wickets were never hard to come by when Tich Freeman was around,

Strengths

Runs and wickets – The team has a massive amount of runs and wickets behind them. They’re clearly not lacking any experience, probably having played more games than any other team in the draft.

Woodfull and Ponsford batted fantastically together and provide a solid start at the top of the order. Tailenders often went off to work when these two were batting, knowing they wouldn’t get out quickly.

Attractive stroke play in the middle order – There's three or four quick scoring batsmen in the middle order, able to take the game away after Woodfull and Ponsford have opened things up.

Quality bowling. Two all-time great seam bowlers. Arguably the best left-arm spinner of all time. A man who took wickets for breakfast. And then Merv Hughes and his fabulous facial hair.

Weaknesses

Tail – Verity really isn’t a test number 7. Certainly not in an all time line up. Once you’re through the top order, the tail isn’t going to last long at all.

Lacking an ATG batsman – While lots of the batsmen were fantastic domestically, and very good at test level, there’s a lack of a really great player at test level.

Lack of seamer variety – No left armer is perhaps a probem.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Michaelf7777777 appears to have been skipped for no reason. He has another three hours to pick, and if in that time he comes online and wants Paynter or Freeman, he can pick them.

Draft Round 1

1. honestbharani - Don Bradman
2. kyear2 - Garry Sobers
3. morgieb - Imran Khan
4. KingKallis - Malcolm Marshall
5. GingerFurball - Shane Warne
6. marc71178 - Muttiah Muralitharan
7. Spikey - Adam Gilchrist
8. weeman27bob - Curtly Ambrose
9. rvd619323 - Alan Davidson
10. Pothas - Keith Miller
11. Eds - Richard Hadlee
12. Michaelf7777777 - Viv Richards
13. Somerset - WG Grace
14. Blakus - Sydney Barnes
15. Cabinet96 - Glen McGrath
16. Agent Nationaux - Jacques Kallis
17. zaremba - Matt Prior
18. Himannv - Wally Hammond

Draft Round 2

1. GingerFurball - Brian Lara
2. kyear2 - Dennis Lillee
3. Michaelf7777777 - Sachin Tendulkar
4. Spikey - Ian Botham
5. KingKallis - Jack Hobbs
6. weeman27bob - Fred Trueman
7. morgieb - Joel Garner
8. honestbharani - Waqar Younis
9. Somerset - George Lohmann
10. rvd619323 - Len Hutton
11. Blakus - Ray Lindwall
12. zaremba - KS Ranjitsinhji
13. Pothas - Bill O'Reilly
14. Eds - George Headley
15. Cabinet96 - Andy Flower
16. marc71178 - Shaun Pollock
17. Agent Nationaux - Wasim Akram
18. Himannv - Allan Donald

Draft Round 3

1. honestbharani - Aubrey Faulkner
2. Michaelf7777777 - Sunil Gavaskar
3. KingKallis - Graeme Pollock
4. GingerFurball - Micheal Holding
5. rvd619323 - Frank Worrell
6. morgieb - Herbert Sutcliffe
7. Eds - Courtney Walsh
8. kyear2 - Barry Richards
9. Spikey - Clarrie Grimmet
10. Himannv - Frank Tyson
11. Pothas - Dale Steyn
12. weeman27bob - Hedley Verity
13. zaremba - CB Fry
14. Blakus - Greg Chappell
15. Agent Nationaux - Ken Barrington
16. Somerset - Victor Trumper
17. Cabinet96 - Jim Laker
18. marc71178 - Ricky Ponting

Draft Round 4

1. KingKallis - Alan Knott
2. honestbharani - Clyde Walcott
3. Michaelf7777777 - Kumar Sangakarra
=4. GingerFurball - Virender Sehwag
=4. Pothas - Kapil Dev
6. morgieb - Everton Weekes
7. kyear2 - Rahul Dravid
8. rvd619323 - Mike Procter
9. Himannv - Allan Border
10. marc71178 - Andy Roberts
11. zaremba - John Snow
12. Spikey - Harwood Larwood
13. weeman27bob - Les Ames
=14. Eds - Javed Miandad
=14. Agent Nationaux - Steve Waugh
16. Blakus - Denis Compton
17. Cabinet96 - Alec Bedser
18. Somerset - Fred Spofforth

Draft Round 5

1. honestbharani - Neil Adcock
2. KingKallis - Shane Bond
3. GingerFurball - David Gower
4. Spikey - Geoff Boycott
5. Michaelf7777777 - Wilfred Rhodes
6. kyear2 - Neil Harvey
7. morgieb - Dudley Nourse
8. Eds - Charlie Turner
9. zaremba - Maurice Tate
10. Somerset - Frank Woolley
11. Blakus - Wes Hall
12. marc71178 - Matthew Hayden
13. rvd619323 - Charlie Macartney
14. Pothas - Richie Benaud
15. Agent Nationaux - Rohan Kanhai
16. Himannv - Peter Pollock
17. weeman27bob - Bill Ponsford
18. Cabinet96 - Mohammad Yousuf

Draft Round 6

1. Michaelf7777777 - Arthur Morris
2. Spikey - Gordon Greenidge
3. honestbharani - Hugh Trumble
4. KingKallis - Clive Lloyd
5. kyear2 - Ian Bishop
6. zaremba - Ted Dexter
7. Pothas - Stan McCabe
8. GingerFurball - Shoaib Akhtar
9. rvd619323 - Doug Walters
10. marc71178 - Michael Hussey
11. Himannv - Peter May
12. weeman27bob - Patsy Hendren
13. Eds - Bruce Mitchell
14. Blakus - Mahela Jayawardene
15. Somerset - Monty Noble
16. morgieb - Charlie Blythe
17. Agent Nationaux - Alastair Cook
18. Cabinet96 - Graeme Smith

Draft Round 7

1. Michaelf7777777 - Fazal Mahmood
2. Spikey - Ian Chappell
3. honestbharani - Bob Simpson
4. KingKallis - Chris Cairns
5. kyear2 - Derek Underwood
6. zaremba - Tony Greig
7. Pothas - Inzamam-ul-Haq
8. GingerFurball - Kevin Pietersen
9. rvd619323 - Brian Statham
10. marc71178 - Desmond Haynes
11. Himannv - Bill Lawry
12. weeman27bob - Saeed Anwar
13. Eds - Warwick Armstrong
14. Blakus - Eddie Barlow
15. Somerset - Archie McLaren
16. morgieb - Shivnarine Chanderpaul
17. Agent Nationaux - Jason Gillespie
18. Cabinet96 - AB de Villiers

Draft Round 8

1. marc71178 - VVS Laxman
2. Spikey - Bob Willis
3=. GingerFurball - Andrew Flintoff
3=. kingkallis - Craig McDermott
5. honestbharani - Michael Clarke
6. Michaelf7777777 - Bill Johnston
7. kyear2 - Colin Croft
8. rvd619323 - Bobby Peel
9. Somerset - Johnny Briggs
10. Eds - Anil Kumble
11. Pothas - Alec Stewart
12. weeman27bob - Merv Hughes
13. Blakus - Vijay Merchant
14. morgieb - Bruce Reid
15. Cabinet96 - James Anderson
16. zaremba - Mushtaq Ahmes
17. Agent Nationaux - Mohammed Asif
18. Himannv - Hugh Tayfield

Draft Round 9

1. marc71178 - Terry Alderman
2. Spikey - Vijay Hazare
3=. GingerFurball - Marcus Trescothick
3=. kingkallis - Graeme Swann
5. honestbharani - Trevor Goddard
6. Michaelf7777777 - Jack Gregory
7. kyear2 - Justin Langer
8. rvd619323 - Denis Lindsay
9. Somerset - Herbie Taylor
10. Eds - Clem Hill
11. Pothas - Younis Khan
12. weeman27bob - Zaheer Abbas
13. Blakus - Martin Crowe
14. morgieb - Thilan Samaraweera
15. Cabinet96 - Ian Bell
16. zaremba - KS Duleepsinhji
17. Agent Nationaux - Graham Gooch
18. Himannv - Conrad Hunte

Draft Round 10

1. KingKallis - Mark Taylor
2. GingerFurball - Mark Waugh
3. Spikey - Lindsay Hassett
4. honestbharani - Vernon Philander
5. Zaremba - Garth le Roux
6. Somerset - Arthur Shrewsbury
7. kyear2 - Colin Cowdrey
8. Pothas - Roy Fredericks
9. marc71178 - Norm O'Neill
10. Michaelf7777777 - Clive Rice
11. rvd619323 - Dennis Amiss
12. weeman27bob - Bill Woodfull
13. morgieb - Shane Watson
14. Eds - Hanif Mohammad
15. Himannv - Godfrey Evans
16. Blakus - Vinoo Mankad
=17. Cabinet96 - Stuart Broad
=17. Agent Nationaux - Brendon McCullum

Draft Round 11

1. KingKallis - Hashim Amla
2. GingerFurball - Jeff Dujon
3. Spikey - Mohammed Azharuddin
4. honestbharani - Simon Katich
5. Zaremba - Murray Goodwin
6. Somerset - Jack Blackham
7. kyear2 - John Waite
8. Pothas - Sanath Jayasuriya
9. marc71178 - Jack Russell
10. Michaelf7777777 -
11. rvd619323 - Eddie Paynter
12. weeman27bob - Tich Freeman
13. morgieb -
14. Eds -
15. Himannv -
16. Blakus -
=17. Cabinet96 -
=17. Agent Nationaux -

Last edited:

Eds

International Debutant
Fantastic write-up that. That bowling attack really is fantastic, and I don't think the lack of a left-armer would harm you too much considering.

I do think your main weakness is the batting though. As you say, Verity really isn't a 7. You can cover up that sort of lower order if you've got a couple of all-time greats in the middle/top order, and you've got a number of extraordinary First Class cricketers, but not sure they'd be able to hold it up. Still like the side overall though. Just a lot of pressure on all of the top 6 quite constantly without the tail to bail them out like some sides.

Again, though, gun write-up and awesome attack.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Fantastic write-up that. That bowling attack really is fantastic, and I don't think the lack of a left-armer would harm you too much considering.

I do think your main weakness is the batting though. As you say, Verity really isn't a 7. You can cover up that sort of lower order if you've got a couple of all-time greats in the middle/top order, and you've got a number of extraordinary First Class cricketers, but not sure they'd be able to hold it up. Still like the side overall though. Just a lot of pressure on all of the top 6 quite constantly without the tail to bail them out like some sides.

Again, though, gun write-up and awesome attack.
I mean, I could have picked an allrounder to fill in it 7, which would probably do more for the team than Freeman, but looking at the options available, I didn't find anyone particularly amazing. Because I've been consistently ranked in the bottom half of the order, I don't think I was ever in a position where I was going to assemble a winning team, so I decided I'd go for a gun bowling attack, and see where I ended up. I've also always wanted to pick Freeman, and this seemed like the best time.

Oh and for the write-up you can thank E.W Swanton, who's book I used to gather a bit of information about Woodfull, Hendren, Ames, Verity and Freeman, who I had pretty much no idea about.

Last edited:

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
He's an opener and I've already got 2 but Sid Barnes is the best unpicked batsman by a country mile so I'll pick him to bat at 3 in my team.

Charter 77 Final XI

Sunil Gavaskar
Arthur Morris
Sid Barnes
Viv Richards
Sachin Tendulkar
Kumar Sangakarra (+)
Clive Rice (*)
Jack Gregory
Wilfred Rhodes
Fazal Mahmood
Bill Johnston

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To finish off my side, I need a keeper. I'll take Rod Marsh.

1. Herbert Sutcliffe
2. Shane Watson
3. Dave Nourse
4. Everton Weekes
5. Shivnarine Chanderpaul
6. Thilan Samaraweera
7. Imran Khan
8. Rod Marsh (+)
9. Joel Garner
10. Charlie Blythe
11. Bruce Reid

Pretty good side, although the bowling could be better. Watto's a little bit of a liability, but I needed an opener and a 5th bowler and he was the best one I could think of.

Eds

International Debutant
Ian Healy.

1. Bruce Mitchell (6)
2. Hanif Mohammad
3. George Headley
4. Javed Miandad
5. Clem Hill
6. Warwick Armstrong (5)
7. Ian Healy+
8. Richard Hadlee (1)
9. Anil Kumble (4)
10. Charlie Turner (3)
11. Courtney Walsh (2)

Whilst picking my team, I wanted to be sure I had depth in every area, and that reflects in the XI I’ve now got.

Openers
The opening pair of Mitchell and Mohammad were both named as one of five Wisden Cricketers of the Year, in 1936 and 1968 respectively. Both known as grafters, the pair are amongst the best batsmen produced by their respective countries. Mitchell was known for his consistency, whereas Mohammad was known for his ability to make big scores such as his 499 in a First Class fixture and a triple-century against West Indies which took almost 1000 hours. Mitchell is the only player in the top six to fail to hit a First Class triple-century, but is arguably the most consistent.

Middle Order
The combination of George Headley and Javed Miandad has everything. Again, both named as Wisden Cricketers of the Year, the two are also arguably the greatest batsmen their respective countries have produced. Headley, known as ‘the Black Bradman’ averaged a phenomenal 60.83 over a 24-year Test career. Miandad was almost equally as successful, averaging 52.57 with a Test high score of 280*. Clem Hill and Warwick Armstrong also provide solidity in the middle-order. Hill, a beautiful left-handed stroke-player contrasts to Armstrong’s destroyer-like attitude. In an era of bowlers’ dominance, Hill still managed to average an extraordinary 40, and created many Australian records that would only be matched by the great Don Bradman. The two also had numerous partnerships over the course of the ten years they were both in the Australian side, from 1902 to 1912.

Lower Order
The lower-order is also incredibly solid, batting down to number 10. Ian Healy is more known for his keeping ability than his batting prowess, but is more than capable of handling the #7 position as proven by his incredible 86 Tests in the position, as well as a number of Tests batting even higher, in one of Australia’s most successful sides ever. Hadlee at 8, averaged an excellent 27 in Tests whilst Anil Kumble has proven on more than a few occasions that he is able to bail the team out should the situation arise, whilst Charlie Turner managed a Test average of 12 in a heavily bowler-dominated era, and appeared in the middle-order for Australia on numerous occasions.

Bowling
The bowling is opened by the completely contrasting pair of Courtney Walsh and Richard Hadlee, who have collected almost 1000 test victims between them. Walsh’s action sent the ball down from ten-feet in the air which generally resulted in huge amounts of bounce, which means the West Indian would take the role of the enforcer. Hadlee, on the other hand, offers an incredible swing option. At first change is Charlie Turner, whose wickets were crucial to the success of the Australian side of the late 1890s. Then, on comes Anil Kumble with his right-arm leg-breaks and 600 Test wickets and Warwick Armstrong as the fifth option, who could offer right-arm fast-mediums or leg-breaks should the situation necessitate. Should those five not succeed, however unlikely, South African Bruce Mitchell, who claimed 250 First Class victims at an average of approximately 25. Javed Miandad was also known to be able to roll the arm over, claiming 200 First Class wickets at 34.

Fielding
The fielding unit is also more than solid. Behind the stumps is a man more known for his keeping than his batting in Ian Healy. Alongside him is South Africa’s greatest ever slip fielder, Bruce Mitchell. Should Healy injure himself, Javed Miandad and Hanif Mohammad are more than capable of filling in, having both kept more than enough times in Tests.

Captaincy
Captaincy-wise, there are a whole host of options. The only members of the XI not to have captained their country are experienced Kiwi paceman Richard Hadlee, outstanding opening batsman and slip-fieldsman Bruce Mitchell, and round-arm Australian bowler Charlie Turner. Between the rest of the team, there is more than enough experience, determination and influence. The likes of Miandad, Mohammad, Armstrong, Kumble, Walsh etc. can flip a coin for captaincy for all I care.

*sigh* I really need a life.

kingkallis

International Coach
CricZo XI

Sir Jack Hobbs
Mark Taylor
Hashim Amla
Graeme Pollock
Clive Lloyd ( c )
Alan Knott ( + )
Chris Cairns
Graeme Swann
Malcolm Marshall
Craig McDermott
Shane Bond

Players in CW's TOP 50 Ranking :

Malcolm Marshall - 6
Sir Jack Hobbs - 10
Graeme Pollock - 38
Clive Lloyd - 47

Tests : 725
Runs : Top 5 - 27,170 @ 51.01 | All-rounder + keeper - 7709 @ 33.14
Wickets : New ball pair - 463 wickets @ 21.52 with the SR of 42.12 | 4/26, 5/27, 10/5 | 3,4,5 - 691 wickets @ 28.66 with the SR of 55.7 | 4/38, 5/40, 10/5
Catches : 435

Wickie performance : 250 catches & 19 stumpings

Captain's record : 74 tests | 36 / 12

Openers - Sir Jack Hobbs & Mark Taylor
Jack Hobbs was cricket's most prolific batsman. He finished with 61,237 first-class runs and 197 centuries, most of them stylishly made from the top of the Surrey or England batting orders. Hobbs was known as "The Master". Half his hundreds came when he was over 40, and he remains, at 46 in 1928-29, the oldest man to score a Test century.

Mark Taylor was such a masterful opening batsman, slip fielder and captain for Australia that he was looked upon as an allrounder. A heavily built left-hander who played classically late, Taylor made 839 Test runs on his first England tour (1989) and for most of his 104 Tests remained reassuringly solid. He was equally dependable at first slip, where he cradled most of his world-record 157 catches.

Middle Order - Hashim Amla, Graeme Pollock & Clive Lloyd

An elegant, stroke-filled player blessed with the temperament to make the most of his talent, Hashim Amla is the first South African of Indian descent to reach the national squad.

Perhaps the finest left-hand batsman the game has ever produced - Donald Bradman certainly thought so. Graeme Pollock was an extremely powerful batsman, although his timing was perhaps his most obvious natural asset. Another deprived of greater exposure by South Africa's isolation, Pollock showed in his 23 Tests what an awesome talent he possessed; his highest score of 274 was for many years the South African Test record.

6'5" with stooped shoulders, a large moustache and thick glasses, Clive Lloyd was the crucial ingredient in the rise of West Indian cricket. He was a hard-hitting batsmen and one of the most successful captains in history. An almost ponderous, lazy gait belied the speed and power at his command and the astute tactical brain that led the West Indies to the top of world cricket for two decades.

Wicketkeeper - Alan Knott

In the ten years up to the Packer-split in 1977, Alan Knott played in 89 of England's 93 Tests - nearly 20 more than any other Englishman - and hardly missed a chance that anyone remembers. Yet to see his wicketkeeping at its most spectacular, you had to catch him standing up to Derek Underwood on a rain-affected pitch for Kent in county cricket. As a batsman he learned to put a high price on his wicket. He could attack or defend with equal skill as the position of the match demanded: with five Test hundreds to his name, he was a genuine all rounder.

New ball bowling attack - Malcolm Marshall & Shane Bond

Malcolm Marshall slithered to the crease on the angle, pitter-pat feet twinkling as if in dancing shoes. It was reminiscent of a sidewinder on the attack. Allied to a massive cricket intelligence, stamina and courage, Marshall had all the toys and he knew how and when to play with them. His strike rate of 46.22 was phenomenal, his average of 20.95 equally so. Arguably he is the best fast bowler ever stepped onto the cricket ground.

If you've watched Shane Bond you know it already why I have picked him. For someone who has only played 18 tests, it is still not surprising that he keeps getting picked in World XIs by readers and experts alike. It is, for one, the way he moves, with sleek, intense, contained force. He just looks it. It's not too bad after the ball comes out either: close to express, with an inswinger able to whoosh through the merest fissure between bat and pad.

No.3, an all-rounder & the spinner - Craig McDermott, Chris Cairns & Graeme Swann

After bursting onto the scene as a 19-year-old in England in 1985, when he took 30 wickets in six Tests, Craig McDermott had a stop-start, injury-ravaged career but fought back to become Australia's leading wicket-taker for a time, establishing himself as Australia's premier strike bowler in the early 1990s.

One of the more colourful characters in the New Zealand side, Chris Cairns developed from something of a rebel to a more senior statesman, especially after the part he played in ending the players' strike in 2002. He was one of the finest allrounders in the world, and he became only the sixth man to achieve an allrounder's double of 200 wickets and 3000 runs.

As England looked to avoid the Ashes hangover that infected their 2005 success, Graeme Swann proved pivotal. He helped England to a memorable innings victory in the second Test against South Africa in Durban in December 2009. Swann collected nine wickets in the game, including 5 for 54 in the second innings, which took him to 54 wickets in 2009, the first time an England spinner has managed more than 50 in a year. The performance also propelled him to No.3 in the world, the highest ranking for an England spinner in decades and Swann is now one of the first names on the team sheet.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The XI:
  1. Sir Leonard Hutton (vc)
  2. Dennis Amiss
  3. Charles Macartney [6]
  4. Sir Frank Worrell [7] (c)
  5. Eddie Paynter
  6. Doug Walters [5]
  7. Denis Lindsay (wk)
  8. Mike Procter [1]
  9. Alan Davidson [2]
  10. Bobby Peel [4]
  11. Brian Statham [3]

The Batting:
  • Hutton is an ATG batsman, averaging 56 over a significant period.
  • Amiss is a fighter, and his career figures are afflicted by being selected in the middle order for too long.
  • Macartney is an aggressive, unorthodox and successful batsman, and a handy bowler.
  • Worrell averaged a shade under 50, and had every shot in the book.
  • Paynter took on Australia and succeeded, averaging in the 80s against them, and is renowned for his innings in Brisbane while suffering from tonsillitis.
  • Walters could bat explosively and counterattack when needed. Can also break partnerships with his medium pace.
  • Lindsay is another counterattacker, capable of scoring big hundreds quickly, if the rest of the order fails, or driving home the advantage if they make runs.
  • Procter helps form an explosive lower order - he was good enough to bat at 7 in test match cricket.
  • Davidson could hit out as well, and also batted at 7. He also has the maturity to dig the team out of any holes they find themselves in.
  • Peel has a first class double century to his name.
  • Statham was useful occasionally, and can hold up an end if needed.

The Bowling:
  • Procter bowled fast and with extreme inswing, and averaged 15 in Tests, 19 in FC.
  • Davidson was as accurate as they come, hitting a stump-to-stump line, taking wickets at 20 each and only conceding 2 runs per over.
  • Statham took his FC wickets at 16, and Test scalps at 24. He was, for a period, the world's leading wicket taker.
  • Bobby Peel averaged 16 in FC and Tests, and could run through any line-up at any time. He was unplayable on a wet surface.
  • Walters fills the fifth bowler role, and can break any partnerships that form.
  • Macartney was a successful spin bowling all-rounder prior to the War, before returning with a much lessened bowling workload afterwards.
  • Worrell was good enough to open the bowling for the West Indies, albeit when spin dominated their attacks.
  • Hutton was a decent leg spinner in his younger days, and could be used in desperation.

The Fielding and Leadership
  • Lindsay is a very good keeper, at one point holding the South African dismissal record for a single series.
  • Everybody in the team can field to a high standard. There are no weak links in the field. The fast bowlers are good in the field, Peel was one of the best of his day, and the batsmen are all highly capable fieldsmen.
  • Worrell will captain the XI, as one of the greatest unifying captains of all-time. Hutton also has international captaincy experience, and has been named vice captain.

Full write-ups available from this download link (unfortunately I couldn't attach the document direct to CW): http://www.2shared.com/file/B4bT2Gqn/Quiz_Draft_Profiles.html

Last edited: