• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quick World ATG XI draft- No Bradman

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Good team rvd, especially your openers (batting and bowling, both brilliant) and Murali.

Jager

International Debutant
Especially Macartney, WAG. Great combinations in your side though rvd, Jardine as captain is a fantastic choice too.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Very strong batting line-up kyear! I do fancy getting Langer early with Ambrose and Akram via some short pitched stuff though. After then it's all up hill.
Thanks Watson.

Great team yourself.

Apart from mine (of course :) ), yours is my favourite team, covers everything, great middle order, best bowling attack, good openers and best cordon with 5 legitimate options.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Have to say Kyear, your team would be brutal to play against. Pulverising batsmen in Viv and Pollock, tough no nonsense openers (Langer and Morris) and a dynamic middle order of Worrell and AB Devilliers.

Also, a brutal pace attack. Hard to imagine much respite against Lillee, Holding and Bishop, and easy to imagine the bruises we'd wear! Laker is the best off spinner ever IMO.

Only weakness I can see is a slightly brittle tail. Russell at 7 has a sub 30 average, then you're in to the quicks, none of whom were particularly good batsmen.

watson

Banned
Thanks Watson.

Great team yourself.

Apart from mine (of course :) ), yours is my favourite team, covers everything, great middle order, best bowling attack, good openers and best cordon with 5 legitimate options.
Thanks kyear, but I don't think that Lillee, Holding, Bishop and Laker is any less potent as a frontline 4. Probably lacks a little variation that's all. Someone who can bowl swing at pace would have capped off Lillee and Holding nicely. But really...

Red

And rvd: I think your team lacks a bit of the batting brutality of kyear's, but it's a more balanced combo. Good selections with Woolley and Rice as all rounders, and Lindwall who was a very good batsman.

That bowling attack has some serious fire power with Lindwall and Larwood, and Murali's record speaks for itself. Must admit to not knowing much about Rice, and little more about Woolley apart from his stats. I think Woolley was an inspired pick who gives you nice flexibility. Good stuff!

smash84

The Tiger King
The Cornered Tigers

Matthew Hayden
Hanif Mohammad
David Boon
Tendulkar
Inzamam ul Haq
Aubrey Faulkner
Imran Khan*
Alan Knott
Saeed Ajmal
John Snow

Joel Garner

12th Man: Doug Walters

Write ups to follow later

Red

An interesting mix Smali, and a competitive unit. Good aggressive opener in Hayden, a guy who can stand up to pace in Boon, the little master at 4. I'd be inclined to play Walters instead of Inzi, but that's just me. If Walters had still been available I'd have taken him with one of my final two picks and fitted him in to my XI.

Keeper of the highest quality in Knott.

Bowling attack is potent, with Garner and Snow and Imran, and Faulkner is a great pick up. One of the surprisingly small amount of quality spinning all rounders in cricket history. Ajmal a bit left field, early days for him.

smash84

The Tiger King
yep....I had Walters in first but then with Imran as captain he should be able to get the best out of Inzy. But I definitely had Walters because he would be fantastic in the middle order. Depending on the type of wicket he would come in place of Inzy.

Solid opening with Hanif and Hayden. Boon to provided gut and bone to the top order. Tendulkar,Inzy, Walters, Faulkner, and Imran boosting a strong middle to lower order.

Arguably the finest keeper to grace the game in Knott.

Top class all rounders in Imran and Faulkner and then complementing them would be the pace of Garner and Snow. Ajmal to bamboozle people with the doosra and Imran to come back with the old ball and reverse the crap out of the opposition.

Pretty solid team and to be led by Imran, arguably the finest man manager to grace the cricket field.

watson

Banned
The Cornered Tigers

Matthew Hayden
Hanif Mohammad
David Boon
Tendulkar
Inzamam ul Haq
Aubrey Faulkner
Imran Khan*
Alan Knott
Saeed Ajmal
John Snow

Joel Garner

12th Man: Doug Walters

Write ups to follow later
I have to admit it - that's a good side with the main strength being the bowling.

Imran, Snow and Garner are very different fast bowlers and hence provide excellent variation. It would be very difficult for the batsman to settle. Then there is an offie and leggie to back them up. Just about perfect really.

I have no problem with Inzy who is brilliant against fast bowling, but Boon lacks class. I think that Inzi at No.3, Faulkner in his natural position at No.5, and then Walters at No.6 to thrash the bowling would be quite potent;

1. Hayden
2. Hanif
3. Inzy
4. Tendulkar
5. Faulkner
6. Walters
7. Knott
8. Imran
9. Snow
10.Ajmal
11.Garner

That team would beat Jager's team I think :p :devil2:

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
I have to admit it - that's a good side with the main strength being the bowling.

Imran, Snow and Garner are very different fast bowlers and hence provide excellent variation. It would be very difficult for the batsman to settle. Then there is an offie and leggie to back them up. Just about perfect really.

I have no problem with Inzy who is brilliant against fast bowling, but Boon lacks class. I think that Inzi at No.3, Faulkner in his natural position at No.5, and then Walters at No.6 to thrash the bowling would be quite potent;

1. Hayden
2. Hanif
3. Inzy
4. Tendulkar
5. Faulkner
6. Walters
7. Knott
8. Imran*
9. Snow
10.Ajmal
11.Garner

That team would beat Jager's team I think :p
haha.....now that you have rearranged my team it does indeed look better.

I think I'll go with this one and Boon as 12th man who will be great at short leg

1. Hayden
2. Hanif
3. Inzy
4. Tendulkar
5. Faulkner
6. Walters
7. Knott
8. Imran
9. Snow
10.Ajmal
11.Garner

12th man Boon

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
CricZo XI

Sunil Gavaskar / ( 125 | 10122 @ 51.12 | 34 / 45; 108 )
Gordon Greenidge / ( 108 | 7558 @ 44.72 | 19 / 34; 96 )
Hashim Amla / ( 59 / 4464 @ 46.98 | 14 / 23; 54 )
Denis Compton / ( 78 | 5807 @ 50.06 | 17 / 28; 49 )
Allan Border ( c ) / ( 156 | 11174 @ 50.56 | 27 / 63; 156 )
Adam Gilchrist ( + ) / ( 96 | 5570 @ 47.60 | 17 / 26; 379 / 37 )
Ian Botham o / ( 102 | 4200 runs @ 33.54 | 14 / 22; 383 wickets @ 28.40 | 4 / 27; 120 )
Shane Warne o ( 145 | 3154 runs @ 17.32 | 0 / 12; 708 wickets @ 25.41 | 10 / 37; 125 )
Alec Bedser o ( 51 | 236 @ 24.89 | 5 / 15; 26 )
Fred Trueman o ( 67 | 307 @ 21.57 | 3 / 17; 64 )
Courtney Walsh o ( 132 | 519 @ 24.44 | 3 / 22; 29 )

12 th man : Maurice Tate o / ( 39 | 1198 runs @ 25.48 | 1 / 5; 155 wickets @ 26.16 | 1/7; 11 )

Team Statistics

Total Tests : 1119
Total Runs ( Top 8 ) : 52,049 ( Players with 3000+ runs at least )
Batting Average ( Top 6 - avg or avgs ) : 48.50
100s & 50s : 142 & 255
Total Catches : 827
Total Wickets : 2153
Bowling Average ( All 5 ) : 24.94
10s & 5s : 25 & 118

ATG XI Positions

World XI : Adam Gilchrist & Shane Warne ( Hell, yeah!!! )
Team 2 : Sunil Gavaskar
Team 3 : Alan Border & Fred Trueman
Team 4 : Ian Botham
Team 5 : Gordon Greenidge & Denis Compton
Team 7 : Courtney Walsh
Team 8 : Alec Bedser
Team 9 : Maurice Tate
Team 21 : Hashim Amla ( Its a surprise, really )

NOTE : 8 out of my playing XI are in TOP 5 ALL -time Teams and 10 of playing XI are in TOP 9 ALL-time Teams

Team composition

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
haha.....now that you have rearranged my team it does indeed look better.

I think I'll go with this one and Boon as 12th man who will be great at short leg

1. Hayden
2. Hanif
3. Inzy
4. Tendulkar
5. Faulkner
6. Walters
7. Knott
8. Imran
9. Snow
10.Ajmal
11.Garner

12th man Boon
:thumbs_up

watson

Banned
Of course Inzy never made any runs batting at first drop, but he bloody well should have. He had a very solid technique. Give him a good go there I say :thumbup1:

(BTW my apologies to David Boon. I hope he doesn't visit this forum)

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Of course Inzy never made any runs batting at first drop, but he bloody well should have. He had a very solid technique. Give him a good go there I say :thumbup1:
With Imran at the helm we should be able to get the best out of inzy

Eds

International Debutant
I don't think Smali should ever be allowed to get Imran in a draft, again. Bored of every other post being about Imran. :p