• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quick World ATG XI draft- No Bradman

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Watched too much Sunday arvo county cricket during the 70s as a kid, so I'm going to let my heart rule my head;

EDDIE BARLOW

Which gives;

1.Bob Simpson
2.Eddie Barlow
3.Clyde Walcott
4.Greg Chappell
5.Steve Waugh
6.Clive Lloyd
7.John Waite
8.Richie Benaud
9.Wasim Akram
10.Curtly Ambrose
11.Glen McGrath
Excellent team top to bottom, ticks all of the boxes.

kingkallis

International Coach
Sir Alec Bedser to open the bowling with Fred Trueman. Walsh and Botham will follow!

CricZo XI

1. Sunil Gavaskar /
2. Gordon Greenidge /
3. Hashim Amla /
4. Denis Compton /
5. Allan Border ( c ) /
6. Adam Gilchrist ( + ) /
7. Ian Botham o /
8. Shane Warne o
9. Alec Bedser o
10. Fred Trueman o
11. Courtney Walsh o

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't disagree with that actually, although Kapil is undisputedly India's greatest ever quick bowler. I'll try an explain why I think he is fine as 1st change here.

I think that considering Kapil opened the bowling for India, his figures are somewhat skewed. If you look at his stats in Australia (average of 24) and the West Indies (average of 23) you get a more accurate picture of the quick bowler he was in environments that were conducive to pace bowling. Add to that the fact that he mastered bowling in India (averaged 26, SR 55) and it indicates a very good pace bowler.

I think his figures against the WIs (best team of his era) overall in that era indicate best how good he actually was. In 25 tests against them, he had an average of 25 and a SR of 52. When you analyse that data, you see what a good bowler he was.

I know I'm being a bit selective defending my man here, but I really think he's another guy whose figures don't reflect his ability.

Finally, coming in to the attack after Hadlee (miserly master bowler) and Donald (attacking venom), he can tie down an end effectively with Hammond until O'Reilly comes on to destroy the rest!
I always find it amusing that Indian conditions are always used as an excuse for Kapils stats (not saying that it isn't) but never seen as a help to Sachin's, Sunny's and Co's stats.

watson

Banned
I posted my team because KK had posted his full team, but then obviously changed his mind and deleted it temporarily.

I don't think KK will be putting Barlow in at No.8 anyway's, so;

EDDIE BARLOW

1.Bob Simpson
2.Eddie Barlow
3.Clyde Walcott
4.Greg Chappell
5.Steve Waugh
6.Clive Lloyd
7.John Waite
8.Richie Benaud
9.Wasim Akram
10.Curtly Ambrose
11.Glen McGrath

PS. Go with your initial choice KK - it was a goodun IMO.

watson

Banned
10 mins guys..
Sir Alec Bedser to open the bowling with Fred Trueman. Walsh and Botham will follow!

CricZo XI

1. Sunil Gavaskar /
2. Gordon Greenidge /
3. Hashim Amla /
4. Denis Compton /
5. Allan Border ( c ) /
6. Adam Gilchrist ( + ) /
7. Ian Botham o /
8. Shane Warne o
9. Alec Bedser o
10. Fred Trueman o
11. Courtney Walsh o
Mind, you still lose nothing with Sir Alec!

It's an interesting attack KK. Nothing brutal about it, just all craft and "never-say-die".

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
KYEAR XI:

Arthur Morris
Justin Langer * / Bruce Mitchell
Vivian Richards (6) *
Graeme Pollock
Frank Worrell (c) (5)
A.B De villiers *
Jack Russell (+)
Michael Holding (2)
Dennis Lillee (1)
Ian Bishop (3)
Jim Laker (4)

Last edited:

watson

Banned
KYEAR XI:

Arthur Morris
Justin Langer * / Bruce Mitchell
Vivian Richards (6) *
Graeme Pollock
Frank Worrell (c) (5)
A.B De villiers *
Jack Russell (+)
Michael Holding (2)
Dennis Lillee (1)
Ian Bishop (3)
Jim Laker (4)

Very pleased with my selections.
Richards and Pollock batting together, plus Holding and Bishop/Lillee bowling together are worrisome combinations indeed.

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Almost done fellas, do a bit of a write up on your selected squad if you are able...

Round 12

kyear- Justin Langer

watson

kingkallis

rvd619323

Monk

zaremba

smalishah84

Jager

Himannv

Red

Round 1

Himannv- Garry Sobers

Jager- Keith Miller

smalishah84- Imran Khan

zaremba- Malcolm Marshall

Monk- Richard Hadlee

rvd619323- Jack Hobbs

kingkallis- Shane Warne

watson- Glenn McGrath

kyear- Viv Richards

Round 2

kyear- Dennis Lillee

watson- Curtly Ambrose

kingkallis- Adam Gilchrist

rvd619323- Muralitharan

Monk- Wally Hammond

zaremba- Jaques Kallis

smalishah84- Sachin Tendulkar

Jager- Brian Lara

Himannv- Sydney Barnes

Round 3

Himannv- Alan Davidson

Jager- Waqar Younis

smalishah84- Joel Garner

zaremba- Len Hutton

Monk- Bill O'Reilly

rvd619323- Barry Richards

kingkallis- Fred Trueman

watson- Wasim Akram

kyear- Graeme Pollock

Round 4

kyear- Micheal Holding

watson- Greg Chappell

kingkallis- Ian Botham

rvd19323- Ray Lindwall

Monk- Allan Donald

zaremba- Mike Procter

smalishah84- Aubrey Faulkner

Jager- Herbert Sutcliffe

Himmanv- George Headley

Round 5

Himannv- Shaun Pollock

Jager- Clarrie Grimmett

smalishah84- Allan Knott

zaremba- Ricky Ponting

Monk- Les Ames

rvd619323- Javed Miandad

kingkallis- Sunil Gavaskar

watson- Steve Waugh

kyear- Jim Laker

Round 6

kyear- Bruce Mitchell

watson- Richie Benaud

kingkallis- Allan Border

rvd619323- Harold Larwood

Monk- Neil Harvey

zaremba- Wilfred Rhodes

smalishah84- Matthew Hayden

Jager- Andy Roberts

Himannv- Ken Barrington

Round 7

Himannv- Dale Steyn

Jager- Rahul Dravid

smalishah84- Hanif Mohammed

zaremba- Matt Prior

Monk- Kapil Dev

rvd619323- Charlie McCartney

kingkallis- Gordon Greenidge

watson- Bob Simpson

kyear- Frank Worrell

Round 8

kyear- Arthur Morris

watson- Clyde Walcott

kingkallis- Dennis Compton

rvd619323- Clive Rice

Monk- Kumar Sangakkara

zaremba- Archie Jackson

smalishah84- Saeed Ajmal

Jager- Everton Weekes

Himannv- Andy Flower

Round 9

Himannv- Victor Trumper

Jager- Dennis Lindsay

smalishah84- Doug Walters

zaremba- Shiv Chanderpaul

Monk- Bill Ponsford

rvd619323- Frank Woolley

kingkallis- Courtney Walsh

watson- John Waite

kyear- Ian Bishop

Round 10

kyear- AB DeVilliers

watson- Clive Lloyd

kingkallis- Hashim Amla

rvd619323- Douglas Jardine

Monk- Bill Lawry

zaremba- Graham Gooch

smalishah84- John Snow

Jager- Hugh Tayfield

Himannv- WG Grace

Round 11

Himannv- Dudley Nourse

Jager- Sid Barnes

smalishah84- David Boon

zaremba- Bruce Reid

Monk- Ian Chappell

rvd619323- Godfrey Evans

kingkallis- Alec Besder

watson- Eddie Barlow

kyear- Jack Russell

Round 12

kyear- Justin Langer

watson- Roy Fredericks

kingkallis

rvd619323

Monk

zaremba

smalishah84

Jager

Himannv

Last edited:

Red

My FINAL TEAM is;

1.Bob Simpson
2.Roy Fredericks
3.Clyde Walcott
4.Greg Chappell
5.Steve Waugh
6.Clive Lloyd
7.John Waite
8.Richie Benaud
9.Wasim Akram
10.Curtly Ambrose
11.Glen McGrath

12. Eddie Barlow

Note: Barlow will play if the pitch is flat and another bowler is therefore required. Fredericks is a better choice when the pitch has some juice in it. As a general rule its Simpson to open with Fredericks.
I like this team a lot, particularly powerful through the middle order with Walcott being super aggressive at 3, Chappell at 4, then Waugh, Lloyd and Waite. Benaud at 8 is great, and then Akram is capable.

Pace attack is deadly, you prioritised it in the first three rounds, and it shows. Ambrose and McGrath are possibly the two most economical yet deadly bowlers ever (Marshall aside). Akram provides great variety, skill and pace, and I think a lot of people forget what a great spinner RB was. Waugh and Chappell could both bowl medium pace a bit as well, and Simpson was a good leggie.

Gun team in the field, with Benaud, Lloyd, S. Waugh, Chappell and Simpson great fielders. Simpson and Chappell and Benaud in gully make an extremely cordon for your pace attack.

Plenty of leadership too, with Simpson, Chappell, Waugh, Lloyd, Benaud and Akram being good captains. I'd imagine you'd choose Benaud as captain?

Last edited:

watson

Banned
Thanks Monk. Here is my short description as requested;

'THE MEAN MUTHERS'

1.Bob Simpson (6)
2.Roy Fredericks
3.Clyde Walcott
4.Greg Chappell (7)
5.Steve Waugh (5) (vice captain)
6.Clive Lloyd
7.John Waite (keeper)
8.Richie Benaud (4) (captain)
9.Wasim Akram (3)
10.Curtly Ambrose (1)
11.Glen McGrath (2)

12.Eddie Barlow

1.Bob Simpson (Batting Average: 46.81, Bowling Strike Rate: 96.9)
Reliable and orthodox opening batsman capable of batting through an innings. Possibly the best slip fieldsman of all time. Was an allrounder who bowled leg spin and googlies before he began to focus on his batting. Useful spinning partner to Richie Benaud on a wearing pitch.

2.Roy Fredericks (Batting Average: 42.49)
The original Brian Lara but with a technique good enough to be an opener. Possibly the best exponent of the hook-shot in modern cricket as his masterpiece against Lillee and Thommo at Perth in 1975 suggests. His 169 runs came off only 145 balls. Knick-named “Kid Cement” by his team mates for good reason – he feared no fast bowler. Partly included in this team because I would like to see him open against Larwood and Lindwall.

3.Clyde Walcott (Batting Average: 56.58)
Batted 23 times at No.3 and averaged 51.86. The best of the ‘3 Ws’ at first drop, power-packed, and the 1950s answer to Vivian Richards. Does what a No.3 should do – dictate terms to the bowlers and set the tempo of the innings.

4.Greg Chappell (Batting Average: 53.86, Bowling Strike Rate: 113.3)
Australia’s premier batsman of the 1970s. Arguably the best player of fast bowling in the world during that decade. Averaged 117.00 against the West Indian quartet in 1975-76. A classic No.4 and the pivotal batsman of the team.

5.Steve Waugh (Batting Average: 51.06, Bowling Strike Rate: 84.8)
Puritanical batsman and the backbone of the middle-order. Sits comfortably between the stroke makers but also capable of counter-attacking when necessary. Wonderful gully fieldsman. Useful and competent medium pacer.

6.Clive Lloyd (Batting Average: 46.67)
A highly flexible batsman capable of punishing the bowling or batting with the tail. Clever against the spinners with a top score of 242 against Bedi , Chandra, and Prassana, but also able to average 46.9 runs against Lillee and Thommo in 1975-76.

7.John Waite (Caught: 124, Stumped: 24, Batting Average: 30.44)
Held all the South African wicket-keeping records before Mark Boucher came along. Good enough with the bat to score centuries against Tyson and Bedser, then Davidson and Meckiff. Stubborn and pugnacious.

8.Richie Benaud (Bowling Strike Rate: 77.0, Batting Average: 24.45)
One of the best classical leg-spinners in history, and possibly the best captain in history. Scored 3 centuries with the bat too.

9.Wasim Akram (Bowling Strike Rate: 54.6, Batting Average: 22.64)
Possibly the greatest left-handed fast bowler of all-time. Bowls everything bar the kitchen sink. Highest Test score of 257 runs.

10.Curtly Ambrose (Bowling Strike Rate: 54.5)
Definitely one of the top three West Indian fast bowlers of all-time and helped keep the West Indies ‘great’ for longer than they should have been. A mean and nasty miser with the ball who is the spear-head of the attack.

11.Glen McGrath (Bowling Strike Rate: 51.9)
Assessed by some experts to be the greatest quick bowler of all-time. Absolutely relentless.

12.Eddie Barlow (Batting Average: 45.74, Bowling Strike Rate: 75.5)
Gives the team added balance and motivation. Very good medium pacer and 5th bowler, superb slip fielder, and would rather die than give his wicket away. A classic case where the sum of the parts is greater than the whole.

SUMMARY

This is a merciless team without a breaking point. It is superbly led by Benaud (c) and Waugh (vc), and expertly advised by Lloyd and Chappell. If the teams IQ could be measured then it would be a genius.

There is more than ample batting depth and 4 front-line bowlers who are capable of devastating any batting order. The fast bowlers strike often, but are also complete misers. They will be just as difficult to score off as they are to defend against. The part-time bowlers Waugh and Simpson are also capable of taking wickets. Chappell is very accurate.

Importantly, the bowlers will be backed up by some superb fieldsmen. Indeed it could be argued that there has never been a greater cordon than Waite, Simpson, Chappell, Waugh, Fredericks, and Benaud. They are really that good.

In short, if a Test Match happens to be bitter, bloody, and on a knife edge, then this team will be in its absolute element.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
My FINAL TEAM is;

1.Bob Simpson
2.Roy Fredericks
3.Clyde Walcott
4.Greg Chappell
5.Steve Waugh
6.Clive Lloyd
7.John Waite
8.Richie Benaud
9.Wasim Akram
10.Curtly Ambrose
11.Glen McGrath

12. Eddie Barlow

Note: Barlow will play if the pitch is flat and another bowler is therefore required. Fredericks is a better choice when the pitch has some juice in it. As a general rule its Simpson to open with Fredericks.
A fantastic bowling attack. Has everything you could ask for. Pace, bounce, seam swing conventional and reverse, yorkers etc

kingkallis

International Coach
Mind, you still lose nothing with Sir Alec!

It's an interesting attack KK. Nothing brutal about it, just all craft and "never-say-die".
I would have gone with Monty Noble as his record as No.4 is decent but couldnt find his picture with bowling action and thats something I needed to complete my 'write-up' :p

And yeah I am pretty happy with my bowling line up :

Trueman
Bedser
Walsh
Botham
Warne

kingkallis

International Coach
I'll take Maurice Tate as the 12th man!

CricZo XI

1. Sunil Gavaskar /
2. Gordon Greenidge /