• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pura Cup

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Queenlsander a very quiet and with good reason, we are well and truely behind the 8-ball. The reason we bowled first was because it gave us the best chance to take 20 wickets. Dropped catches by the Queenslanders could have seen a very different scoreline, we only have ourselves to blame. Two early wickets this morning of the overnight batsman has been a good start to Day 2 for the Bulls. Remember the game is played over 5 days and not 1.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
If this game is drawn, Victoria win anyway, don't they? or have the rules changed for that one?

I don't think Queensland can get it from here......

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Can someone tell me the point of this final?

One team needs a draw so just need to pack the batting and bat as long as possible.

Boring Cricket or what?

marc71178 said:
Can someone tell me the point of this final?

One team needs a draw so just need to pack the batting and bat as long as possible.

Boring Cricket or what?
What would you do if it was drawn?

Mister Wright

furious_ged said:
What would you do if it was drawn?
I guess the only other option would be to play the game until it is won. IMO it is unfair, if your team finishes first over the regular season, you reserve the right to be beaten on home soil in the final. AFAIK the current situation is just about right.

The only problem that I have with the current system is that r/r is the deciding factor for finalist who finish on the same points. IMO r/r should be second to who was the better team between the two. It happens in ING, why not Pura Cup? For example this year Qld got in the final ahead of Tassie because they had a better r/r however Tassie beat Qld outright and Qld only got first innings points in the return fixture. IMO, no matter how 'dodgy' the Tassie tactics during the season, Tassie should have been the finalists due to being the better of the two sides during the regular season.

You would just have the table toppers win the shield?

I dunno, that kinda takes away the prestige of it. I mean, this year Victoria were runaway winners. I don't know how anyone would have retained interest if Victoria were clear winners with 3 rounds to go. At least come the last round, 4 teams still had a chance of getting it. There would have been 5 if WA weren't so slow with their over-rate in an unnamed match :!( .

Mister Wright

marc71178 said:
I wouldn't play it!
Maybe fair enough in England where you have to beat 9-50(?) teams to top the table. In Australia we only play 5 other teams, the idea of the comp is to play for the final, then if you're not good enough on the day, too bad.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I agree with the current system, seems to be the only fair way to do things.

Queensland have been totally outplayed these last 4 days, I bet they are just wishing it was over. Tassie wouldve been a better opponent thats for sure.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
I hate to say this as a Croweater......but.......well done to the mexic...I mean Victorians for winning the Pura Cup. Bast****!:P

chris.hinton

International Captain
The Final should stand but it should without Boring cricket, and also have Semi finals so you can have the Pura League and Cup

Mister Wright

chris.hinton said:
The Final should stand but it should without Boring cricket, and also have Semi finals so you can have the Pura League and Cup
Why would you need a semi final? You already have 10 rounds to reduce the teams from 6 to 2. It would be like the ridiculous system in the NRL where you have 26 rounds to reduce the competition from 15 to 8 - more than half the teams make the semies.