• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pura Cup

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Well we have a ING cup thread, so I thought that I might make this.

Two matches are on this at the moment, Victoria v Queensland and also South Australia v Tasmania.

The Queenslanders and the Vics are on about even terms currently, Queensland making 277 in their first innings, Victoria in to bat at 77/2. White took 4 wickets in the first innings for the Victorians.

The latter match has only just begun, with SA taking a bat against the Tassies in Hobart. They are at 22/0.

Post away....

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good to see SA took the smart option and didn't pick Trent Kelly. I've not heard fabulous reports about him in grade cirkcte, though the boy can bat, that's for sure.

I think Chris Davies should definately bat above Mark Higgs. Davies has been marginalised somewhat for a few years and that can't help his confidence, particularly since he's a pure batsman whereas Higgs is an allrounder. Also, SA have Manou batting too high if they bat him above John Davison.

Other than that, the bowling looks stronger with the inclusion of guys like Tait, Rofe and Cleary and the batting is MUCH stronger with the inclusion of less allrounders of the Mick Miller variety. I have no problem with Miller (I think he's quite good, in fact) but having him, Higgs Cleary AND Davison in the side was just too many allrounders for my liking, particularly with a talent like Chris in the wings. The selectors had to choose and I think this is a far better balanced side than that in Perth last week.

QLD's bowling looks threadbare right now and but I don't think Vic have the batting guns to really test them so this one will be close, I predict.

Mr. P

Tassie have SA at 137/3 after 51 overs. Blewett and Davies are in, on 23 and 10 respectively. For SA, Deitz made 40 whilst for the Tasmanians Doherty, Downtown and Griffith have one wicket a peice.:)

Mr. P

In the other match, Victoria have Queensland on the defence with the Vics currently on 202/4, Arnberger with 76*. David Hussey is on 37.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vic 6\351 Hussey 106 Arnberger 89. I cannot wait until the tour in India is over so we can get back Kaspa, Bichel, Symonds & Maher!

S.A. 236

Tas 1\39

Eclipse

International Debutant
David Hussey is impressive he was good when he played a few late games for Vic last year and aparently that 106 was a very good innings.

would have to be when it has 20x4 and 1x6 in it thats a high % of boundrys.

Mr. P

Wow 86 out of 106 in boundaries, would have been a treat to watch and yeah, he was supposed to have played some glorius shots. Pity Arnberger didnt stay in for longer though.:)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
would have to be when it has 20x4 and 1x6 in it thats a high % of boundrys.
I don't see how that necessarily makes it a good innings - it says nothing about how he worked the ball around or, even how many chances he gave up...

Mr. P

Marc apparently it was a great innings, don't think he gave many chances, although he could hardly have worked the ball around if 86 out of his 106 hit the fence or went over it.:P

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
I don't see how that necessarily makes it a good innings - it says nothing about how he worked the ball around or, even how many chances he gave up...
Because if you do an "Ally Brown" or "Adam Hollioake" as they are called round Surrey way, you have to be pretty damn good to hit the ball so well so often that most of the time it goes to the boundary...

Sometimes there's a need to work the ball around, but just as hitting the ball everywhere doesn't make a great innings, neither does one where the batsmen has worked the ball around. Both innings can be great in the right circumstances and not so in others.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hussey & Arnberger were both dropped, pretty simple chances to. But they were good enough to go on with it, from what I saw of the highlights they looked to be doing it pretty easy.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Tasmanian 153/1 at lunch

Watson on 66* and has played very well so far and Cox on 68* not looking quite so comftable.

Thast in reply to South Australia's 236 all out

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Well considering the innings came off 140 balls not 80 odd it suggests to me those strokes were well hit and the fact he has so many boundrys indicates he has a good range of strokes and was timing the ball well.

In a general sense players who can hit the boundry reguarly with good cricket shots not slogs are usualy fairly good players.

Craig

World Traveller
In saying that, Lance Cairns and Ian Blackwell have/had the ability to do the opposite.

I like the Victorians. They remind me of New Zealand. No real stand out players (face it, there just isn't beyond Warney ((less said, the better))), but they play very well as a team.

Don't like Queensland. They're boring. Congrats to the Vics! :D

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah White got MOTM in his first (as far as im aware) outing as 4d skipper :D:D:D good stuff

NSW are in trouble vs WA but Katich 101* and Pilon 70* have saved face :) still 100 runs behind though with 5 wickets remaining, maybe Nicholson can make a few against his old state:)

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
With Katich in excellent form & Pilon providing good support, I think that if they both are still batting for the best part of the 1st session on day three, the Blues should take 1st innings points.