• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool D - Fiji, Nambia, Samoa, South Africa, Wales

centurymaker

International Captain
Yeh wasn't a great dropkick attempt, I'll admit that. Going for the three points was the smart thing to do though - a "good position" to score a try is a little bit misleading given South Africa possess one of the best defences in international rugby, and Wales only needed a score of any sort to take the lead.
i feel these euporean teams aren't ruthless enough. they opt for a penalty kick whenever they can regardless of how difficult it is. they should at least attempt to score a try when they are close enough to the line. The aim of the game is to score tries, not turn into a kicking contest between the two fly-halfs.

imo all penalties and kicks etc should be reduced to 2 points to encourage more positive play.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
i feel these euporean teams aren't ruthless enough. they opt for a penalty kick whenever they can regardless of how difficult it is. they should at least attempt to score a try when they are close enough to the line. The aim of the game is to score tries, not turn into a kicking contest between the two fly-halfs.

imo all penalties and kicks etc should be reduced to 2 points to encourage more positive play.
Pretty sure it'd just mean teams would be even more inclined to infringe at the breakdown myself.

One positive move that could be made would be to do away with conversions and make tries worth a flat 7 points.

centurymaker

International Captain
Pretty sure it'd just mean teams would be even more inclined to infringe at the breakdown myself.

One positive move that could be made would be to do away with conversions and make tries worth a flat 7 points.

yellow cards could be used to prevent/minimize that.

thats a good idea.

Retox

State Vice-Captain

The 2003 world cup winners say hey :p

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
The 2003 world cup winners say hey :p
:laugh: Exactly - in fact, the 2007 winners also might have something to say about that...

I actually have no real issue with the way points are currently distributed. If teams cheat and conceed penalties, then they deserve to conceed points. I feel 2 points for a penalty compared to a potential 7 for a try is too much incentive for a side to infringe. You could argue for more yellow cards but the issue with yellow cards is that theres often far too much subjectivity between referees as to when to issue them.

ripper868

International Coach
Stupid imo.

EDIT - just play the game as it is. If you give away a stupid amount of penalties you deserve to be kicked off teh park.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd say it's far too easy for sides to give away tactical penalties in defence. I wouldn't say the points structure needs changing but if I was a ref I'd be waving yellows all over the place and letting the attacking side's advantage run for hours.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Two tries to Tuilagi in the first half of Samoa's match against Namibia. Looking good to be the first side to post 50 points in the tournament. :)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Just short of 50 as it turned out, but thats a great start for Samoa. A few early injuries the only concern for their upcoming matches. Hattrick for Tuilagi the standout. Thought Namibia played a bit better in the second half to grab a couple of consolation tries.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
In league it is 6 for a converted try and two for a penalty and I don't see teams infringing too often. But yes when it was 4 points for a try in rugby - it used to be stink. Your tactics were to get into opposition territory and hope like hell you won a penalty. Get Foxy to kick it over and then repeat.

I have a number of pet peeves about rugby - but the point system isn't one of them.

ripper868

International Coach
Quite a few less rules in league tbh - hard to infringe really.

1. Stay back 10 metres
2. Don't lay on a bloke for too long.

Thats it isn't it?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
SA aren't playing the percentages this game - passed up an easy chance to go 6-0 up - to chase a try instead.

They need to show Fiji RESPECT.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
1) they are playing 15 man rugby - /shockhorror

2) SA players are fabulous tacklers

I spoke to a SA person about the tackle and he said to make the school 1st 15 tackling was the first priority.

Would value a SA perspective on rugby culture and tackling,

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Top performance from the Boks. Frans Steyn looks so much better at centre and how good was Dinosaur? Just bullied the Fijians.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Surprisingly brilliant performance from the Boks. Who needs Matfield when Roussouw plays like that?! Lack of Habana hardly hindered them either. I still think they're missing a trick not starting with Bismark and Houggard but even so, Fiji were absolutely no match for them this evening.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
What a game! South Africa played 'mans' rugby. I dont think Fiji were poor. Coming into the game the reports out of their camp were that they were worried about the size and strength of South Africa. They were right to be concerned. Powerful rugby and then the class to be able to make line breaks and gain yards.

The final try was amazing. 3 Fijians olé'ed Rossouw. To be fair, I don't blame them. He was immense today.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Really physical encounter between Wales and Samoa, Perenise's try in extra time in the first half giving Samoa a first half lead - hopefully that'll fire Samoa up to see the game out in the second 40.