• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool C - Australia, Ireland, Italy, Russia, United States

centurymaker

International Captain
What a game!! :D

England could well lose to scotland, who may finally find form
that will put england too in the same draw as the others... haha would be epic.
best 4 playing-off against each other so early in the knockouts.

actually scrap that. we'd have to play england then in the quarters. nah ****

go england! :ph34r:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I fear France in a knock out game but not in the group stage.
Yep ditto, and certainly its hard to fear the current French side who struggled to dispose of Japan, who we beat by more than 70 points. Regarding the loss against France in 2009, that was our first test of the year and we had a slightly experimental looking side. France on the other hand were far more settled on their combinations, so its a bit difficult to make comparisons. Although to be fair, maybe we'd get a more favourable draw for the rest of the tournament should we lose to France... :ph34r:

Last edited:

centurymaker

International Captain
I expect SA to conveniently lose one of the games now.
they can't possibly lose to namibia, so probably somoa?

it sucks that england's game against scotland and SA's game vs samoa are last, while our match vs france is next week. :@

which means we can't really FIX the draw!

James

Cricket Web Owner
Yep ditto, and certainly its hard to fear the current French side who struggled to dispose of Japan, who we beat by more than 70 points.
Remember this Irish team struggled to put away the USA. Who knows what the French could do to us. Especially if it's a wet night like it was for the Aussies here.

Great to see the Irish get up and win the match. What an atmosphere it appeared to be at the ground. For O'Driscoll to say it felt like they were playing in Dublin certainly said something for the crowd.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great result for Ireland, and they earned it.

I was at a party and felt a bit guilty about putting the game on at first, but by the end everyone had crowded around the TV.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Excelllent performance from the Irish - fully deserved victory as they looked to be the only team that turned up with a game plan and executed it perfectly.

The Australians were embarassing - totally inept performance that smacked of arrogance

Alongside certain players, Deans head should be firmly on the chopping block as the team, for all its talent, has not improved one iota since he's been in charge and his tactics (or lack thereof) are totally bewildering

Why the **** wasnt Polota Nau dragged at half time and allowed to play like an amateur for the whole 80 minutes (let me guess, he needs match fitness :wacko:)

Why the **** werent changes made when it bacame obvious that whatever it was we were trying to do (and I have no idea what that was) wasnt working

Why did we suddenly resort to short restarts and pathetic chip kicks when the entire Irish game plan was based upon territory in the hope of kicks at goal - they didnt make a clean break for the entire 80 minutes so how the **** were they going to run it back 75 metres?

All in all, this performance was the one we feared (world-beaters one week, hopeless the next) but knew was inevitable. After all, it only being going on for 10 ****ing years

End of rant

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Remember this Irish team struggled to put away the USA. Who knows what the French could do to us. Especially if it's a wet night like it was for the Aussies here.

Great to see the Irish get up and win the match. What an atmosphere it appeared to be at the ground. For O'Driscoll to say it felt like they were playing in Dublin certainly said something for the crowd.
Thats true re. the Ireland vs USA match. Ireland's pre-tournament form had been terrible too (lost four matches on the trot I believe). And after all, France seem to strike when you least expect them to so you never know. I hear the crowd was about 58,000 (in other words just short of a sell-out) which is absolutely fantastic.

JBH001

International Regular
Need to get past the Boks in the QF first, I think.

The Australian forwards are simply just not up to it. Their tight 5 was outmatched in the set-piece and their back three in the loose. The lack of Pocock and Moore was an issue, but I think missing Moore had more of an impact as he has had a stellar year, is good at the graft and a good and combative runner. I don't think Pocock would have made too much difference at the breakdown given the dominance of the Irish forwards (although, that said, he would certainly have been streaks better than his replacement). A lot of work seems to have gone into the forwards but they seem to crumple against muscular/physical opposition.

It's a pity that Berrick Barnes was out most of the year with injury, but even if he has not had much test play he needs to come back for the USA/Russia games, and then, all going well, play against SA. He has the brains and composure to direct play when things are not going well which Cooper, at the current time, lacks. The Australian mid-field with McCabe/Faingaa also offer little, and Barnes/ACC would offer more on attack and defense.

Deans should really have rung the changes early in the second half, but he has always been reluctant to use the bench throughout his tenure. I can understand that sometimes, but last night, Higginbotham needed to be on earlier as did S Faingaa and maybe Palu (I don't really rate Palu, he is a little reminiscent of Kefu but not really a patch on him). Simmons went alright and should start in the final group games.

But yeah, given the Bok performance against Fiji, I think a QF exit for the Wallabies is on the cards.

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm guessing it's Wishful thinking, but would anyone give Italy much chance of upsetting Ireland?

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm guessing it's Wishful thinking, but would anyone give Italy much chance of upsetting Ireland?
Italy are pretty woeful. But then again a lot of the lesser teams have been putting up some top performances so it isn't completely out of the question.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, I'd like to say I'm surprised that a pack of poncy GPS Silver Spooners didn't stand up when it was time to roll the sleeves up, but it's been Australian rugby culture since, well, forever really.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Need to get past the Boks in the QF first, I think.

The Australian forwards are simply just not up to it. Their tight 5 was outmatched in the set-piece and their back three in the loose. The lack of Pocock and Moore was an issue, but I think missing Moore had more of an impact as he has had a stellar year, is good at the graft and a good and combative runner. I don't think Pocock would have made too much difference at the breakdown given the dominance of the Irish forwards (although, that said, he would certainly have been streaks better than his replacement). A lot of work seems to have gone into the forwards but they seem to crumple against muscular/physical opposition.

It's a pity that Berrick Barnes was out most of the year with injury, but even if he has not had much test play he needs to come back for the USA/Russia games, and then, all going well, play against SA. He has the brains and composure to direct play when things are not going well which Cooper, at the current time, lacks. The Australian mid-field with McCabe/Faingaa also offer little, and Barnes/ACC would offer more on attack and defense.

Deans should really have rung the changes early in the second half, but he has always been reluctant to use the bench throughout his tenure. I can understand that sometimes, but last night, Higginbotham needed to be on earlier as did S Faingaa and maybe Palu (I don't really rate Palu, he is a little reminiscent of Kefu but not really a patch on him). Simmons went alright and should start in the final group games.

But yeah, given the Bok performance against Fiji, I think a QF exit for the Wallabies is on the cards.
Since we don't have a "like" button - let me say good post mate.