• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool C - Australia, Ireland, Italy, Russia, United States

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Well done Australia - Italy simply a less skilled team - dropped passes - the occassional poor kick - no attempt to open the game up when down by 10 points in the 2nd half.
Yup that was probably the most disappointing aspect. Japan chanced their arm last night when they trailed by a couple of coverted tries, and it very nearly caused a major upset but for the French kicking back into gear. Italy didn't look like creating a try scoring opportunity until the scrum pushover attempt, at which point they were down by more than 20 points anyway.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
USAs wing is the fastest wing I have ever seen.
I'm assuming you don't mean James Paterson, but are talking about Ngwenya - he was the one that scored perhaps the best try of RWC 2007 by outpacing Habana to finish off about a 90 metre effort from the USA. They've been good so far against Ireland tonight and pressured the Irish into far too many errors. I'm beginning to see why Ireland's pre-WC form was so poor with the way they've performed so far against a side ranked well below them.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, fantastic try by Emerick at the end. USA deserved that - top effort from them.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Pleased they scored a try, definitely deserved it for their contribution to the match. Lots to work on for Ireland though - besides their set pieces they were well below par in all areas.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, encouraging signs from all the "minnows" so far.

Unconvincing stuff from the Micks today. I don't think any Irish side can use the conditions as an excuse either.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
UTV were trying to be positive about "getting the win under the belt" and all that but the RTE pundits absolutely tore into the side after the game this morning. We still don't look any good.

ripper868

International Coach
Not Good at all.

Not so much as far as attacking wingers goes - still have JOC and Drew for that - but more the defending in the #10 Channel - Digby has been a bit of a revelation in that role.

Hopefully back for the quarters.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Thats really disappointing to hear Ioane's going to be missing. From my perspective anyway, hes one of, if not the most, dynamic winger in world rugby right now. I doubt it'll hurt Australia providing he returns for the knockout stages, though the worry then is, like Kieran Read, he might be a bit underdone.

ripper868

International Coach
good fight by the ruskis but terrible execution at the lineout cost them. Would have been fantastic if they stole a draw at the death there.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
American captain is a ****.
(disgraceful behaviour)
I think Clever's great, his shoulder charge was a bit unnecessary but I've seen a lot worse. He had another very impressive match in leading his side, and the tight five of the US was excellent. They seemed to struggle in the set piece against Ireland on the weekend but really put the Russians under huge pressure, particularly at the lineout. Bit surprised that the Russians chose not to start with Adam Byrnes, their only player with Super Rugby experience.

centurymaker

International Captain
I think Clever's great, his shoulder charge was a bit unnecessary but I've seen a lot worse. He had another very impressive match in leading his side, and the tight five of the US was excellent. They seemed to struggle in the set piece against Ireland on the weekend but really put the Russians under huge pressure, particularly at the lineout. Bit surprised that the Russians chose not to start with Adam Byrnes, their only player with Super Rugby experience.
well I missed the first 60 mins of the game.

ripper868

International Coach
Thought the American scrum was average tbh - Russia obviously forgot aout the lineout at training. Looking forward to The game against the Paddy's.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hmm, spot the ringer.

I guess it's because he's a hooker and the Ruskies' captain is a rake too.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good suggestion in the Dom Post this morning. Take the teams that finish 3/4 in the group stages and let them have their own knock-out "Shield" competition. You've brought these smaller teams all the way over here, why not? Reckon you'd get a full house for a Shield final.

Would give the little teams a bit more to play for in the last couple of round robin games. 5th placed team goes home.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Don't the 3rd place teams qualify for the next World Cup as it stands so they do have something to play for?