• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool B - South Africa, Ireland, Scotland, Tonga, Romania

Who will qualify from the group?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
They can do what they like, but if they do get a couple of injuries in the backs, I'm pretty certain a team like Ireland will be good enough to expose a back row playing in the centre. It's a risky strategy if you ask me.
It is a risky strategy... but they can only do it because in an extreme circumstance they have Kwagga on the bench as well... and if needed Fourie can play as a loosie rather than hooker. Considering the number of times you find loosies in the centre field and wide nowadays, both on defence and attack its not as much of a risk as it is portrayed.

Most of the bitterness comes from the fact that the bench was extended from 7 to 8 to allow an extra forward because of front row issues and requirements. Now teams like SA who have incredible tight 5 depth can use it to further bully opponents without that much of a risk! Would SA dare a 7/0 split? And would the bomb squad even have occurred as a 6/1 split? Possibly not.

But thems the rules?!

Molehill

International Captain
It is a risky strategy... but they can only do it because in an extreme circumstance they have Kwagga on the bench as well... and if needed Fourie can play as a loosie rather than hooker. Considering the number of times you find loosies in the centre field and wide nowadays, both on defence and attack its not as much of a risk as it is portrayed.

Most of the bitterness comes from the fact that the bench was extended from 7 to 8 to allow an extra forward because of front row issues and requirements. Now teams like SA who have incredible tight 5 depth can use it to further bully opponents without that much of a risk! Would SA dare a 7/0 split? And would the bomb squad even have occurred as a 6/1 split? Possibly not.

But thems the rules?!
I'm not having a pop at all, you can do what you like with your bench. Really looking forward to this game, although if France have lost Dupont, all of a sudden the result seems slightly less important.

Dendarii

International Debutant
It is a risky strategy... but they can only do it because in an extreme circumstance they have Kwagga on the bench as well...
Kwagga is the player who gives them the ability to do it as he's a bit of a rarity in that most sevens converts are backs. And that sevens background means that he has the pace and skillset to play in the backline. It's true that he's not probably going to be as good as someone who regularly plays in those positions, but even a 5-3 split can result in backs playing out of position if there are injuries to the wrong players.

There's obviously still some risk even with him mitigating the risk, but South Africa will have assessed that risk and believe that it's one worth taking.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not having a pop at all, you can do what you like with your bench. Really looking forward to this game, although if France have lost Dupont, all of a sudden the result seems slightly less important.
I don't think you having a pop... the genuine bitterness you do see (not from you), which I can understand even if I don't agree with, is because of the change from a 7 bench to an 8 bench, to try prevent uncontested scrums. What it has done is give SA tight five depth a real impact on the game. Even a 6/2 bench was not an anticipated event generally because it was not expected for teams to be bringing props/hookers of almost equal or better calibre at the 60 min mark as the starting players. Particularly not as high calibre as SA consistently produce. This whole impact would be much much less if the bench had stayed as 7 only.

Kwagga is the player who gives them the ability to do it as he's a bit of a rarity in that most sevens converts are backs. And that sevens background means that he has the pace and skillset to play in the backline. It's true that he's not probably going to be as good as someone who regularly plays in those positions, but even a 5-3 split can result in backs playing out of position if there are injuries to the wrong players.

There's obviously still some risk even with him mitigating the risk, but South Africa will have assessed that risk and believe that it's one worth taking.
Its about probability, its unlikely that you have a problem with a 5/3 split. 6/2 is also unlikely, but most teams don't or can't do that because they don't have the depth. But change those ratios to 5/2 where you only carrier one lock or loosie, or 6/1 vs what used to be the standard 4/3 split... where you often ended up a prop/hooker short!

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I vastly prefer the Saffas, but would rather play the Irish in the 1/4ths. Weird game to watch as a neutral.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
One thing that's baffled me this Word Chp is teams turning down easily kickable penalties.

Ireland already guilty of it this game. Doubly baffling when you factor in it's 1 v 2 and likely to be a tight game. Get points on the board early and let the other team chase you.

Ali TT

International Debutant
One thing that's baffled me this Word Chp is teams turning down easily kickable penalties.

Ireland already guilty of it this game. Doubly baffling when you factor in it's 1 v 2 and likely to be a tight game. Get points on the board early and let the other team chase you.
Especially if their line out continues to malfunction. Won't win the cup, let alone this game, if they can't fix it.

Close there though

Ali TT

International Debutant
When you get into the opposition 22 in matches like this, you need to come away with points. South Africa failed earlier, Ireland get the maximum.

Those short in goals going to catch someone out this tournament though.

Ali TT

International Debutant
An epic encounter. The commentator suggested a South African charge down might be a pivotal moment but not sure in the way it materialised.

Crowd MotM

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Ironic that I moaned about this and South Africa lost by leaving points on the table by missing kicks.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
South Africa got the type of game they should be winning, but we just about managed to pull it out. It’s a huge win and we’re gonna badly need the rest week after that.