• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool A - New Zealand, France, Italy, Uruguay, Namibia

Who will qualify from the group?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ali TT

International Regular
I'm seeing chest contact and then the French 9 head butting the Italian shoulder, and if this was a try to win a knockout round with the team being penalised wearing a different colour jersey, I don't think that's even a penalty.
Couldn't work it out. Was the clear out itself a penalty (looked like it came from the side) or penalised for being dangerous (but incidentally so)?

ripper868

International Coach
Couldn't work it out. Was the clear out itself a penalty (looked like it came from the side) or penalised for being dangerous (but incidentally so)?
The penalty was for the apparent head contact, which the ref in middle was going to give a yellow for, but was talked down by the assistant refs and the tmo - tbh I don't think any angle showed clear head contact, and there was nought wrong with the clean out either as the 9 was looking to compete at the ruck imo.

So, the penalty was given for head contact, but mitigated down to penalty only, despite the lack of clear evidence of actual head contact.

I could of course be wrong :)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Is it just me or from a scrum close to the posts would it not be incredibly easy to set up a drop goal attempt if the game situation called for it?

ripper868

International Coach
I Ramos 8/8 from the boot with conversions (and the 1 pen) so far? Some haven't been the easiest of nudges either.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Fair ****s to Italy, would be easy to go in a huff and allow France to stick on 3 tries in the last 10 but that's a really good try.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
91 and 99 were the 2 best tournaments and the hardest to win :ph34r:
More than a grain of truth in that, actually.

England in 91 were coming off a Grand Slam and would repeat it the following year, Scots had one of their own in 1990, NZ held the Bledisloe and were reigning world champs.

& NZ in 99 were considered shoo ins before the tournament too, had a literal ATG in practically every position.

Ali TT

International Regular
Probably what stands out is just how far those top 4 teams are from the others. They play at such a high intensity but also immaculate, mistake free rugby (and when they do make mistakes it's from the pressure of their opponents) in contrast to the unforced errors the teams in Pools C and D make time and time again.

I think in prior tournaments there's been less of a drop off from 2-6 say.

Molehill

International Captain
I think in prior tournaments there's been less of a drop off from 2-6 say.
2015 was a really poor tournament. NZ were so much better than anyone else, and there was a big drop off after SA and Aus too (even though Scotland ran them close). Europe was a bit of a mess.

I still have a feeling that whichever 2 teams make it to the semis from Pools C and D will be more competitive than we think.

Ali TT

International Regular
2015 was a really poor tournament. NZ were so much better than anyone else, and there was a big drop off after SA and Aus too (even though Scotland ran them close). Europe was a bit of a mess.

I still have a feeling that whichever 2 teams make it to the semis from Pools C and D will be more competitive than we think.
Wales maybe - Gatland has finally coached them into a complement side. England are terrible are terribly coached. Fiji only just beat the Aussies so can't imagine they'd give one of the big 4 a challenge.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
World Cup semis are just almost always tight games, even when there’s a big gap in quality.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I can't really have an opinion before 2003 as I was too young before. I do remember aus having Michael lynagh the sarries player who was fantastic. Also gregan for some reason was always my favourite ever player

Tom Flint

International Regular
Looking back at the England players 95 I don't see them back near any of these 4 sides but its an unfair comparison as the game was only just turning pro then. Also I was only 6 so can't comment!

Ali TT

International Regular
2003 England were the strongest side, think they'd beaten everyone in the previous year including Australia and NZ away. However, NZ, Australia, SA and France were all good sides but with obvious flaws.

2011 was odd. NZ massive favourites but got progressively worse as the tournament wore on and the years of failure started to weigh down on them. Everyone else misfired. Wales should've got to the final but France, who barely scraped into the QFs, ground their way though, thanks to playing a pissed up England and then Warburton's red.

Ali TT

International Regular
Looking back at the England players 95 I don't see them back near any of these 4 sides but its an unfair comparison as the game was only just turning pro then. Also I was only 6 so can't comment!
That was a good England side - the QF win over Australia a classic match. There wasn't any shame in getting literally run over by Lomu.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2011 was odd. NZ massive favourites but got progressively worse as the tournament wore on and the years of failure started to weigh down on them.
Tournament-ending injuries to four first-fives (Carter, Slade, Cruden, Weepu) didn't help!