• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Looked like there might be a good attempt at a fightback for a while there but this last ten minutes has been embarrassing.
I think that the decision to take the penalty shot when 10 points down was crucial. England had all of the momentum, that was the time to score a try. 20-17 down at home with 15 or so on the clock and it is a completely different game.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I think that the decision to take the penalty shot when 10 points down was crucial. England had all of the momentum, that was the time to score a try. 20-17 down at home with 15 or so on the clock and it is a completely different game.
Yeah agree, same mistake as we made in the last match when Wales just had their injury problems.

91Jmay

International Coach
Breakdown killed us, as predicted. Robshaw is not an international 7. No athleticism, first try shows it. Foley ran at him like he would a front row. Congratulations to Aus, better side won. Awful World Cup for us, as per for English teams.

Niall

International Coach
Weird decision to card Farrell there. Does this TV ref understand rugby? Farrell was coming up in a straight line in defense and Giteau ran in front of the ball carrier, potentially shepherding. You can't be expected to just get out of the way of the attacking player in that situation.

The TV ref clearly basing his decision on a camera angle that wasn't in line with play.

However, Sam Burgess with a clear high tackle so I suppose justice done?

Definitely,that was an absolute certain yellow card for Burgess, heck some could argue it was a red.

Yep it was a tough group, but England should have cruised past a half dead Welsh side last week and messed it up.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Can someone explain to me why Sam Burgess is in the team anyway? Doesn't appear to have enough skill to play in the backline. Would be better off at 6.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Not exactly justice though. England would have preferred Farrell on the park for the final 10 instead of plodder Burgess.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not exactly justice though. England would have preferred Farrell on the park for the final 10 instead of plodder Burgess.
England didn't exactly have enough of the ball in the last 10 minutes for it to make any difference.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
England didn't exactly have enough of the ball in the last 10 minutes for it to make any difference.
Yeah that's probably true - My point was more a dig at Burgess and the fact that it isn't justice having a decent player in a crucial position leave the field over someone who just doesn't look up to it and is a liability.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well played Australia.

England have got the results they deserve this competition. No complaints from me.

Lancaster and Robshaw should both resign immediately.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
that's the most complete performance by a wallaby team in years, wouldve beaten anyone in the world playing like that

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Well done Australia. Foley's performance by the best by a no10 since Carter vs the Lions while the forward pack was immense

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Fan's are agreeing on the net with FP. Some calling Foley's performance a masterclass. And others saying it is one of the better performances of the last 20 years by a fly half.

I do rate the performance as well, the positional and tactical kicks he did were amazing early in the game.

Also tough to argue with a 28 point performance.

Seems hard to comprehend with the benefits of hindsight why he didn't start the second Bledisloe match at Eden Park.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think McMahon did get on the field in the end. He might in the next if Hooper gets sanctioned for no arms in the clean out on Brown.

ripper868

International Coach
McMahon wasn't on the bench so hard to get on the field.

Foley didnt play the second test at Eden Park as its a world cup year and Cheoka was still working out hi best 1p. Its auite clear now thay it's Foley after last night. You can keep the Bledisloe for another year, I'll take that win last night above beating the ABs in a shortened series. Seems Cheika either really knows what he's doing, or England just had no answer.

A pleasure to be there last night. Was near the only gold jersey in my section but the crowd was excellent and good natured. Majority near me were telling the booers during kicks to go back to NZ...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fan's are agreeing on the net with FP. Some calling Foley's performance a masterclass. And others saying it is one of the better performances of the last 20 years by a fly half.

I do rate the performance as well, the positional and tactical kicks he did were amazing early in the game.

Also tough to argue with a 28 point performance.

Seems hard to comprehend with the benefits of hindsight why he didn't start the second Bledisloe match at Eden Park.
One of 6 changes to a team that had beaten the ABs

Priority was made clear and it wasn't the Bledisloe - pissed most of the Oz RU community off but a RWC win will see him forgiven

Owe an apology to Foley as I didn't rate him but that was a great performance

Mind you, it was the first match under pressure where he hasn't stood further and further back so credit to him and the coach

Still laughing at people that are surprised at Pocock's genius - best player in the world by some distance IMO (doesn't mean we will win anything mind you)

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Weird decision to card Farrell there. Does this TV ref understand rugby? Farrell was coming up in a straight line in defense and Giteau ran in front of the ball carrier, potentially shepherding. You can't be expected to just get out of the way of the attacking player in that situation.

The TV ref clearly basing his decision on a camera angle that wasn't in line with play.

However, Sam Burgess with a clear high tackle so I suppose justice done?
There was a case for obstruction but still doesn't excuse a shoulder charge on a guy that didn't have the ball

Could've been a red and a yellow with no grounds for complaint

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
re: Pocock.

His running game has improved so much. Perhaps it was those knee reconstructions holding him back earlier as he was a bit of a one-dimensional player in my eyes but he's been massive lately. Consistently breaking the advantage line which is something I hadn't seen from him.

Certainly a form player.