• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting on Lara and Tendulkar

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
"How to Hypnotise Chooks" was his greatest work, but it's pretty highbrow, demanding reading.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
You will find conflicting opinions on both from various players. McGrath has described Tendulkar as the most mentally tough player he's played against, however he never felt like he'd take the game away from him to a huge degree, and he could generally control him to a certain extent. He found Lara mentally weak, but once Lara was in and playing well, he was harder to control.

Murali just flat out found Lara more difficult to bowl to and believes he was the better batsman against him.

Warne I think favours Sachin but correct me if I'm wrong.
McGrath, in another interview, clearly opined that while both had equally good attacking technique, Tendulkar had the better defensive technique.

Among other bowlers, Donald clearly puts Tendulkar on top.

Wasim too, though he thinks Viv was better than both..

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
viv scared the **** out of bowlers in a era with no helmets. im sure he would have fared so much better now.
this makes me rate him as the 2nd best ever.

we can also safely add 5-10 points to his avg when we compare him to players of today.

smash84

The Tiger King
Wasim is somewhat unique in that sense

He has bowled to Viv and Lara and Tendulkar.

Wasim debuted in 1984 so he probably was around before Viv became total ****

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McGrath, in another interview, clearly opined that while both had equally good attacking technique, Tendulkar had the better defensive technique.

Among other bowlers, Donald clearly puts Tendulkar on top.

Wasim too, though he thinks Viv was better than both..
Doesn't Wasim always gush about Martin Crowe?

smash84

The Tiger King
yes....Wasim does rate Martin Crowe very highly.

At one time (and in his autobiography published in 98) rated Crowe as the best

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasim is a strange case...well then again I guess not..like most people...these days he says that which the audience want to hear.

I think back in the 90s..when he rated Crowe and Richards..those were his real opinions and it is totally understandable as India and Pakistan did not play test cricket back then and Lara had failed in the few test matches WI played against Pakistan..Crowe on the other hand was the only one who knew how to play reverse swing..and Viv is just Viv!

These days..Crowe is obviously not as popular a player and is not talked about as much..
Wasim is mostly in India doing shows and commentary..so these days he mentions Tendulkar without blinking an eye lid..

But then I watched another segment on TV where he was in a show with Shastri about great knocks and one segment was about Lara's 400..and on that show Wasim said Lara is the best he has ever bowled to..

I have seen McGrath, Warne, Murali do the same thing..recently Murali said he had no issues against Tendulkar but I remember a couple of years back he was in India and he said Tendulkar is the one batsman he had never managed to deceive..

So I wouldn't take their answers too seriously :p
Most of the time they are playing to the crowd..

Last edited: