• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players you hated at first, but now love?

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Curtly Ambrose. Maybe I didnt hate him but I didnt appreciate his greatness or look forward to seeing our guys facing him, especially in the early 90's. He became a little less hostile in the 2nd half of his career but still had great numbers. Now ehen I watch him bowl it puts the recent lot of fast bowlers to shame, Curtly was awesome. Just goes to show how bloody excellent those years of fast bowling really were with Waqar/Wasim, Donald/Pollock, McGrath/Gillespie etc all firing around the world, no wonder batting was hard in the 1990's!!! These days there really is only guy who is great to watch bowl, Steyn obviously, pretty sad indictment of current cricketing times.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You know what? There's just something I like about him. The way he played in the 2009 T20 WC really won me over I think, I watched almost every game in that tournament and he was one of the stars. And I found the ball-biting hilarious - there's something to be said for someone who has the balls to do that.

Sure he's braindead and bats like a moron but he's a joy to watch bat and bowl and an admirable figure in difficult times for the Pakistan team. If we don't win the WC I'd love to see Afridi lead them to victory.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You know what? There's just something I like about him. The way he played in the 2009 T20 WC really won me over I think, I watched almost every game in that tournament and he was one of the stars. And I found the ball-biting hilarious - there's something to be said for someone who has the balls to do that.

Sure he's braindead and bats like a moron but he's a joy to watch bat and bowl and an admirable figure in difficult times for the Pakistan team. If we don't win the WC I'd love to see Afridi lead them to victory.
awta

It's similar to Shoaib. Sometimes you think they are a cancer for Pakistani cricket but then you see them on the field and you just want them to do well. Plus they are both so damn entertaining. They put bums on seats.

Have definitely loved the new captain and bowling allrounder Afridi.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
awta

It's similar to Shoaib. Sometimes you think they are a cancer for Pakistani cricket but then you see them on the field and you just want them to do well. Plus they are both so damn entertaining. They put bums on seats.

Have definitely loved the new captain and bowling allrounder Afridi.
Like the way Afridi wears his heart on his sleeve. Not the most cerebral guy out there, but otherwise he's quite likable. Can't quite say the same for Shoaib though.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I guess I can understand how you all like him. He is one of those enigmatic characters who just electrifies people. But sometimes I just want to bash his head :laugh:. However if he wins us the cup I will never say anything bad about him ever again. Also agree that he always says what is on his mind just like Sehwag.

Thanks GIMH for supporting Pak after England despite all the crap the English team and fans had to suffer at the hands of big buttocks. My second team in this WC is England and I really hope that if we don't win, then they bring the cup home. It would be nice to see some applause for the cricketers rather than those overpaid footballers.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pakistan have always had more than their fair share of genuine entertainers - when I was but a lad and didn't understand patriotism I used to support Pakistan - I thought Majid Khan, Mushtaq and Sadiq Mohammad, Zaheer and Asif Iqbal were the best batsmen in the world - the bowling was a bit iffy but even then Asif Masood was like a poor man's Dennis Lillee, and Wasim Bari was a terrific keeper

qarishahg

Cricket Spectator
Adam Gilchrist.

he just had that look on his face behind the wickets, giving lip to the batsmen here and there. God i'd be annoyed!

Warne at one end bowling and him behind you, your bound to be heading towards the pavilion in a matter of a few balls.

But he is one of the best role model wicket keepers ever to be seen in the game. :happy:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I guess I can understand how you all like him. He is one of those enigmatic characters who just electrifies people. But sometimes I just want to bash his head :laugh:. However if he wins us the cup I will never say anything bad about him ever again. Also agree that he always says what is on his mind just like Sehwag.
I have no doubt I would like Afridi and Shoaib less if I was a Pakistani cricket fan.

But being a neutral means their box office appeal makes them awesome, and their brain explosions or lack of commitment or whatever doesn't take away from that as much as it would if you were a dedicated Pakistani cricket fan.

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
In my youth I had a steady dislike for the entire West Indies cricket team. They were just too good. Have developed a more than healthy appreciation for them now.

For a while the New Zealand cricket team under Fleming had me red with rage. They always punched above their weight and were like that proverbial itch you just couldn't stretch. Respect for them now. They certainly showed me that a team can be greater than the sum of the individuals.

Also the Indian team of 2001/2002. Tendulkar, Laxman, Dravid etc. Not so much hate, more resignation as you know they were going to be a difficult proposition for anyone.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
:laugh: How can anyone love afridi.
He is a fine bowler. Nothing wrong with his action, nice high arm, if he displayed half the brains with the bat that he does with the ball, he'd be an absolute gun player.

Likeable as he's so eccentric. The ball-biting thing was hilarious.:laugh: