• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who performed well in limited opportunities for their country...

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
Just it's not always a good performance...
dude what is your beef? lol... youre obviously one of these bias englishmen who is thinking they are all high and mighty just because they are starting to win a couple of matches (wait till the ashes for a proper game)... the fact is, i doubt you have seen alot of macgill in the one day arena, domestic or international... englands along way away (thank god) and the fact is he is one of the best strikers in world cricket in both forms of the game... cut him some slack!

lol sorry if i sound like a tool but im passionate about sticking up for stu because he cops alot of unwarranted flack and he is my personal favourite

C_C

International Captain
players who did excellently with limited opportunities ?
there are a fair number of them.
Narendra Hirwani, Stuart Law, Mohammed Nissar, etc etc.

But if i was to pick one who shone like a star with very limited opportunities-limited not because of ill health, loss of form, usurping his spot, etc etc. but simply because they didnt play enough cricket in his time- it has to be the Atlas- George Alphonso Headley.
Aka, the black bradman......or as his supporters would like it to be known.....Bradman the white Headley.

bryce

International Regular
C_C said:
players who did excellently with limited opportunities ?
there are a fair number of them.
Narendra Hirwani
17 matches is hardly limited opportunities, especially when in his last 13 test matches he got 30 wickets@48.70, IMO he was given too many matches

C_C

International Captain
17 is a fairly small number mate...when seen from a career perspective.
You need to differentiate between a fluke(andy ganteume) and a decent/good/great chap missing out...and you need SOME minimum number of matches played with a max cap.......in my opinion,5-10 matches min and 20-30 matches max fit the bill.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
benchmark00 said:
dude what is your beef? lol... youre obviously one of these bias englishmen who is thinking they are all high and mighty just because they are starting to win a couple of matches (wait till the ashes for a proper game)...
Erm no, I would dispute that.

MacGill's record is far from great when you look beyond the numbers.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Langeveldt said:
A.Ganteaume (sp?)
Was about to suggest him. 112 on debut then sacked for scoring it too slowly.

Dinanath Ramnarine is my input.
45 wickets in 12 Tests at 30.73. He really looked a find for the spinner's spot... then Hooper intervened.

C_C

International Captain
i think George Headley is one of the strongest contenders for this category.

C_C

International Captain
only person apart from Braddles to averaeg 60+ in FC and Test cricket and its 'just' okay ?

OKAY!!!!!
:D

benchmark00

marc71178 said:
Erm no, I would dispute that.

MacGill's record is far from great when you look beyond the numbers.

haha if anything his career is better without numbers... but the only thing you can base it on is numbers.... i thought you would know of all people how he can rip teams apart... need i say the word 'ashes'... he obsolutely destroyed england in the last two series that were played in Aust.. and i fancy to say he'll do it again...

The fact is you havent seen him play a single one day match... he is a strike bowler and if you dispute that you are a tool... the figures and EVERYTHING show it.... when he has got his chance he has performed excellently... if he was an englishmen there would be no doubt you would be saying 'oh macgill is the best spinner in the world'... If he played in an era without warne he would be up there in the highest wicket takers of all time... and we wouldnt be having this discussion...

Mr Mxyzptlk

benchmark00 said:
haha if anything his career is better without numbers... but the only thing you can base it on is numbers.... i thought you would know of all people how he can rip teams apart... need i say the word 'ashes'... he obsolutely destroyed england in the last two series that were played in Aust.. and i fancy to say he'll do it again...
Destroyed as in 12 wickets @ 40.50 in 2002/03? Get informed.

Mr Mxyzptlk

MacGill has had two outstanding series in his career. One was against England in the mid-90s and the other was managed somehow against Bangladesh. In other series where he's played more than 1 match, he's only averaged under 30 twice and that's probably why his Test average is a lot closer to 30 than Warne's.

Mr Mxyzptlk

benchmark00 said:
If he played in an era without warne he would be up there in the highest wicket takers of all time... and we wouldnt be having this discussion...
And you know this because? What evidence suggests that he's anywhere near the quality of Warne?

C_C

International Captain
Umm McGilla took wickets agianst teams that have no clue about playing spin..no offence but i would take the likes of Harbhajan singh,Mustaq Ahmed,Anil Kumble, Murali and warne from HIS era any day of the week before him.
Lets not even get into the alltime stakes here.

The absence of Warne in the team resulting in McGill becomming the highest wicket taker of alltime is just as likely as the possibility of Greg Blewett scoring more runs than Allan Border if Hayden/Langer wernt around.
Which is close to nil.

benchmark00

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Destroyed as in 12 wickets @ 40.50 in 2002/03? Get informed.
oh im sorry i ddnt look up the statistics...................... pfft.... and im sorry i just thought that 12 wickets was a good game? i guess not, i guess to play an awesome match you have to take 21 wickets????? and a test avg of 29 should not be sneezed at, especially the type of bowler he is, a huge spinner..

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
And you know this because? What evidence suggests that he's anywhere near the quality of Warne?
If you compare the statistics comparitavely it will clearly show macgill has taken more wickets for the matches his played AND his average would be close to the same..... THIS IS FACT! i have statistics to back up my point.. at one stage, having played the same amount of tests macgill had taken 40 more wickets!! hhahahahhahahahahha is that evidence enough??????? ofcourse there are alot of unknowns but there is clearly evidence showing that macgill could have become an all time GREAT...

C_C said:
Umm McGilla took wickets agianst teams that have no clue about playing spin..no offence but i would take the likes of Harbhajan singh,Mustaq Ahmed,Anil Kumble, Murali and warne from HIS era any day of the week before him.
Lets not even get into the alltime stakes here.

The absence of Warne in the team resulting in McGill becomming the highest wicket taker of alltime is just as likely as the possibility of Greg Blewett scoring more runs than Allan Border if Hayden/Langer wernt around.
Which is close to nil.
14 wickets in a couple of tests against india suggest otherwise... oh can they play spin or not????????????????? hmmmmm..................... the fact is that he hasnt played alot against what you call traditional spin playing teams,...... is that his fault? no... just a victim of poor timing...

READ THE THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!! HE HAS TAKEN HIS CHANCES WHEN HE HAS HAD THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND PERFORMED WELL!!!! the thread isnt: is macgill the best spin bowler ever to play.... noone is suggesting that he is!!!!

and btw.... originally i was referring to macgills brief ODI career

C_C

International Captain
# of wickets taken is relevant when put in perspective with the average.
IIRC, he took 14 wickets at 50+ average against the Indians.......thats 1 wicket per 50 runs........thats simply.......horrid.

benchmark00

C_C said:
# of wickets taken is relevant when put in perspective with the average.
IIRC, he took 14 wickets at 50+ average against the Indians.......thats 1 wicket per 50 runs........thats simply.......horrid.

ummm warne had an average of 100+...... umm is that relative enough?

EDIT: umm sorry.... i meant 300+!!!!

Last edited: