• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players Speak Out!

Dean

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I was so impressed to hear a couple of the South African players speak out openly in a recent interview on 94.7. Kallis made some EXCELLENT points:

1) why is all the time wasted on refering to the third umpire on whether or not the ball has gone for four or two, when deciding on a contreversial LBW or catch behind could be far more influencial on the match!?

2) Why were the rules changes for Murilitheran's bent arm and no such concession for Johan Botha. (Okay, so Kallis may be a bit bias on this one, but he has a point doesn't he!?)

Did you know, due to the match fixing scandals, players are no longer allowed to share rooms... (ICC regulation)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dean said:
Did you know, due to the match fixing scandals, players are no longer allowed to share rooms... (ICC regulation)
They're not allowed to have a mobile phone switched on whilst they are in the dressing room either.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dean said:
Interesting, but sad!
I don't think it's sad at all. The cricketers are doing a job, and the "boss" says no cell phones, which is not an alien concept. It's perfectly understandable.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dean said:
2) Why were the rules changes for Murilitheran's bent arm and no such concession for Johan Botha. (Okay, so Kallis may be a bit bias on this one, but he has a point doesn't he!?)
Because the rule-changes weren't for Murali's bent arm, his bent arm is just a fact of life.
Botha's arm isn't bent - he straightens his arm in delivery and has been proven to chuck. Murali has been proven not to.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dean said:
I was so impressed to hear a couple of the South African players speak out openly in a recent interview on 94.7. Kallis made some EXCELLENT points:
Unusual for Kallis to do much talking.
Maybe he could say something to dispel this "selfish" rubbish.

Dean

Richard said:
Unusual for Kallis to do much talking.
Maybe he could say something to dispel this "selfish" rubbish.

RUBBISH being the operative word. Kallis was often caught between a rock and a hard place. If he went hard at the ball and lost his wicket, he would have been called irrational. He used to play the anchor role that Dippenaar has taken over now, so he can afford to be more attacking (especially with AB in the mix)...

I'm off the point.

And by the way, players like Klusner and Kallis who are supposedly quite and shy, are quite vocal in the South African Media. (The interview I refered to on 94.7 also involved Smith, Nel, Ntini and Auther)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
However Kallis plays, I think he'll always be stuck with the "selfish" label, until he talks more and gives the reasons (which people like me can see, and people like Ian Chappell can't) for his slowness-of-scoring and apparrent lack of willing to up the pace.

Dean

Richard said:
However Kallis plays, I think he'll always be stuck with the "selfish" label, until he talks more and gives the reasons (which people like me can see, and people like Ian Chappell can't) for his slowness-of-scoring and apparrent lack of willing to up the pace.

An Englishman with common sense!!

Where have you been!?

Don't you want to take a job as a commentator!?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dean said:

Where have you been!?

I'd love to...
Must be a surprise to find an Englishman who's not prejudiced against everything South African, I know...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Dean said:
It's difficult here at the end of Africa, we get underrated!
Not by Pat Symcox, all South Africans walk on water according to him. Im so desperate with his commentary I considering hurting myself by watching SABC's coverage.

SA media coverage is unrealistic and this places so much pressure on players to perform above their ability.

This SA team aint that great (its decent) but people expect guys like Amla, Steyn, Botha, Van derWath to walk in and be world beaters.

I had to laugh, SA Sports Illustrated ran an article virtually comparing Johan Botha to the second coming of christ whilst at the same time he was fighting for his career with the chucking thing. Ah, how long lead times can make journalists look silly

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dean said:
1) why is all the time wasted on refering to the third umpire on whether or not the ball has gone for four or two, when deciding on a contreversial LBW or catch behind could be far more influencial on the match!?
Possibly because the one can be proven with far more certainty than the other (and is far less of a negative impact if its wrong)

Since Hawkeye has recently shown a bowled dismissal as missing the stumps I guess that's a fairly major flaw.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dean said:

Where have you been!?

So to have common sense one just has to love South Africans then?

howardj

International Coach
Dean said:

Yeah, Ive made that point a few times myself. I mean, it's ok to hold up the game for a trivial thing (like checking replays to see whether the ball has gone for four etc) but as soon as the idea is put forward to check replays to see if they can shead some light on something important (ie whether a batsman is out or not) it's howled down because it takes up too much time. The world's gone mad.

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:
Possibly because the one can be proven with far more certainty than the other (and is far less of a negative impact if its wrong)

Since Hawkeye has recently shown a bowled dismissal as missing the stumps I guess that's a fairly major flaw.

It should be brought in for outside the line LBW decisions.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I assume you mean where the ball pitches?

That's a fair call (although alternatives would include lines down the pitch wicket to wicket or giving the 3rd umpire no balls so the field man is always looking down the wicket)