• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players of some other country you would want in your side.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Which cricketer from another country would you want in your national side? There are just two conditions though, a)That player should not be an important cricketer of his respective nation b) He should be quite useful for your country.

For e.g. India has always wanted a pace bowling all rounder after Kapil Dev retired, we would have loved to pick someone like Andrew Hall in our team who was not such an important part of the SA set up(for tests) for whatever amount of cricket he played.

Any similar examples of guys you would want in your team.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Andrew Hall would have been useless for you guys IMO. Indian pitches would have destroyed him.

smash84

The Tiger King
yeah, Andrew Hall is a bad example. You would have been better off with somebody like the two Ws who could bowl well in the SC

Athlai

Not Terrible
yeah, Andrew Hall is a bad example. You would have been better off with somebody like the two Ws who could bowl well in the SC
They're important though so can't be counted for this exercise.

Reckon India would have gotten more out of most of our allrounder stocks from the 2000s than we would have. Cairns and Vettori probably the exception but I see Oram finding a niche in the Indian team going 18 overs a day at 30 runs for a wicket.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
I selected Hall because he could swing it well and also get reverse swing with the older ball. In Indian conditions, the bowler is anyways more or less supporting the spin bowlers and keeping it tight, so Hall fits in perfectly. And he could also give us the much needed balance and the luxury of 4 pacers in away matches where he would be much more important.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
oops missed out on the first condition

They can have Mohammad Sami :ph34r:

They could do with Umar Gul I suppose which would be a bit of an improvement of their current lot I suppose

Athlai

Not Terrible
Rogers/Alam
McCullum
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Anderson
Watling (+)
Jadeja
Southee
Onions/Bollinger
Boult

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
NZ would take:

Pragyan Ojha from India. Despite being their best spinner, he's largely un-utilised. We'll have him, thanks.
Jackson Bird from Australia, or any of Kyle Abbott, Lonwabe Tsotsobe or Rory Kleinveldt from South Africa. We need a half decent third seamer. Any of these would fit the bill.
Gautam Gambhir from India. We need a decent opener. He's a ****, but he can bat.

Think that's it, pretty much. A spinner, a third seamer, and an opener. The middle order is pretty stacked right now and the opening bowlers and potential allrounders are coming along nicely.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
They're important though so can't be counted for this exercise.

Reckon India would have gotten more out of most of our allrounder stocks from the 2000s than we would have. Cairns and Vettori probably the exception but I see Oram finding a niche in the Indian team going 18 overs a day at 30 runs for a wicket.
Oram is a good pick. Even Ian Harvey in our test team sounds cool.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Or alternatively you could get rid of Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and the associates to fill out your side.

Tamim
McCullum/BTaylor
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Anderson
Watling (+)
Shakib
Southee
Rankin
Boult

^ would be a top 4 team IMO

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I like this team:

Gambhir
McCullum
Williamson
Taylor
Ryder
Anderson
Watling
Southee
Ojha
Boult
Bird

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Andrew Hall would have been useless for you guys IMO. Indian pitches would have destroyed him.
To be fair, Andrew Hall reverse swung the ball like a banana at times. More the old white ball than the old red ball, but that's arguably just because he played more ODI cricket than Test cricket for South Africa. He was a very adaptable cricketer; I think if you told him you needed him to bat seven and bowl first change on abrasive, dry wickets, he could've done a good job of that. He was never going to be a star at anything he did at Test level but I think he would've contributed something.