• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

players cheating hot spot....

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There are dozens of silicon preparations but I'd hazard the most obvious choice would be something like hexamethyldisiloxane. It's used in liquid bandages so it's easy to get a hold of for an athlete.

Whether it does dampen the heat signal of edges, I doubt but from what I remember of this stuff, provided the linseed oil didn't get in the way of the the stuff bonding to the wood (which it would) words such as 'dimensional stability' and 'durability' were used which seems somewhat in opposition to desirable words for a useful cricket bat like 'power' and 'spring'.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
So the incessant whinging about the DRS system wasn't enough; now we've got the Australian media whinging about tape on bats.

I'm off to kill Border, Chappelli and Waugh so they can spin in their graves at how poofy Australian cricket has become.

Uppercut

There are dozens of silicon preparations but I'd hazard the most obvious choice would be something like hexamethyldisiloxane. It's used in liquid bandages so it's easy to get a hold of for an athlete.

Whether it does dampen the heat signal of edges, I doubt but from what I remember of this stuff, provided the linseed oil didn't get in the way of the the stuff bonding to the wood (which it would) words such as 'dimensional stability' and 'durability' were used which seems somewhat in opposition to desirable words for a useful cricket bat like 'power' and 'spring'.
Sounds like it might even work further in the batsman's favour though, if the ball springs off the face off the bat but dies off the edge. Makes it seem even more cheat-ish.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
So the incessant whinging about the DRS system wasn't enough; now we've got the Australian media whinging about tape on bats.

I'm off to kill Border, Chappelli and Waugh so they can spin in their graves at how poofy Australian cricket has become.
From what I've heard this is from the icc rep who was sent to England to explain the drs system to the teams and to look at why there has been so many howlers. My first reaction was icc talking crap to scape goat the mistakes

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Just read it may be about Fibre glass coatings if so I don't think anyone puts those on to cheat
English press says icc preparing a statement to blame drs issues on this

Top_Cat

Sounds like it might even work further in the batsman's favour though, if the ball springs off the face off the bat but dies off the edge. Makes it seem even more cheat-ish.
I doubt the effect would be terribly dramatic for light edges and power in the bat comes from propagation of the impact wave all the way from where the ball impacts to the edges and back again so you'd imagine deadening the edges would also deaden the impact wave throughout the whole bat. But, of course, hard to say without testing it. Maybe there's a critical amount of of liquid bandages you could apply where the trade-off becomes worth it.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll be honest, missing the reference. Been a while. Explain?
Basically I don't have a ****ing clue what you're talking about but the post said petroleum jelly and MW and I'd just mentioned vaseline.

Science undoes me once again.

Top_Cat

Well I'm a ****ing nerd because I had no clue what you meant so went and spent whole minutes looking up industrial compounds with a molecular weight or any number which looked like 1304 and all I could find was aliphatic resins which confused the **** out of me because they're in glues.

Anyway, complete idiocy on my part aside, what I meant by what I said is that if you apply vaseline to your oiled-up bat, it will dissolve in the oil which has the added bonus of destroying its moisture-retaining properties which will (likely) mean a less powerful and more brittle bat.

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I smell Caroline Wilson's claw in this one, seems to have about as much concrete evidence as one of her usual stories.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I'm a ****ing nerd because I went and spent whole minutes looking up industrial compounds with a molecular weight or any number which looked like 1304 and all I could find was aliphatic resins which confused the **** out of me because they're in glues.
Haha aww I wish there had been, I'd have looked like a genius.

Which I still am ofc.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Now this is a good conspiracy theory, though I fear it must be bollocks, 'cos if its not I don't really see how it could have been done without the tacit approval/ connivance of the team's management, which would obviously make it even more interesting, but seems a tad improbable

outbreak

First Class Debutant
ICC say they weren't going to release a statement about this so it does seem like a conspiracy theory. I didn't think it was too far fetched considering teams have conspired to use bottle tops and lollies and the like to tamper with balls before.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kept seeing Usman Khawaj's dismissal on TV this morning when they were talking about this. Usman would've needed a wad of tape a couple of inches thick on the edge of his bat to even get near the ball.

Top_Cat

ICC say they weren't going to release a statement about this so it does seem like a conspiracy theory. I didn't think it was too far fetched considering teams have conspired to use bottle tops and lollies and the like to tamper with balls before.
Yes but those had a demonstrable effect (maybe less so the lollies). Sportsmen have tried all sorts of voodoo to get them through before, that someone's doing it shouldn't, in and of itself, give it creedence. You could fart on your bat every morning if you think it's going to have an effect but if it doesn't, there's little point in the ICC banning players from doing it.

Last edited: