• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player Ratings - As We Go By....

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I just can't help but twitch when I see Gillespie and Broad's name in the same sentence...I reckon when Gillespie was in his prime he'd have gone alright on his own. I don't think he had prolonged periods where he looked to be bowling well and just didn't take wickets, unlike Broad. Remember talking to a few blokes back at the beginning of the 2000's and they said they thought he was the hardest bowler to face in SS cricket at the time, got good bounce off a decent length apparently.
India's tour here in '03 is a decent example. Was a foot short all season.

Hard to say for sure because he rarely had to play without McGrath in the side but, as ridiculously talented as he was, he took the same number of 5-fers in Tests as Broad has now in 10 fewer and Broad's on the way to beating him in FC cricket too which tells you a little about how much more willing Broad is to throw them up there. Don't get me wrong, when Gillespie bowled fuller, he was incredibly good (his bowling in India in the '04 win was ****ing ridiculous) and he's the more talented bowler. He just didn't do it as often as he should have, much like Flintoff.

Last edited:

morgieb

Imagine if Gillespie did bowl as full as he should've. He may have been as good as McGrath, then again he probably would've ended up like Bishop/Bond....

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Broad's actually been a fair enough performer for the team, one could extend the argument to match winning (not outright) even in the case of TB, as in he performed both with the bat and got that crucial breakthrough with the LBW of Watson, and also maybe match saving in this last test as he helped England avoid the follow on after KP fell. So, he has performed, but his role has much been that of the strong underrated supporter, not the far-and-away match saviour.

And no one can deny he's a good actor, so stop dismissing him for ****'s sake, cos he won't walk away. :unsure:

morgieb

Overall rankings:

Watson 4 - getting a lot of starts, but hasn't gotten a 50, and bowling has lost its punch recently. Not good, probably should be dropped.
Rogers 5.5 - probably needs a daddy hundred, and should stop getting out to nothing deliveries. However, at his best he can knock the stuffing out of the England lineup.
Cowan 2 - was poor in the only test he played. Not much to write home about.
Clarke 7.5 - Lethal at best, poor at worst. We need more of the good Clarke.
Smith 7 - good series from the People's Champ, has made some form of contribution in every test.
Hughes 4 - one extremely crucial innings, 3 failures. Arguably unlucky to be dropped but still looks rank awful against spin.
Khawaja 4 - in some ways has been on a hiding to nothing particularly in the Third Test. Little to write home about but worth persistence.
Warner 4 - meh. Wait and see what else he can deliver.
Haddin 6 - keeping has been meh in general, but can take some screamers. One extremely crucial innings, one innings that came when the pressure was off (though I don't think we can punish him for his side scoring runs), poor otherwise. Better than Prior though.
Pattinson 5 - generally very good without luck (after the first morning) in the First Test, poor in the Second Test. Probably let down somewhat by health problems.
Siddle 9 - for the most part, excellent. Can only think of one innings where he didn't inspire.
Starc 6 - somewhat flattering figures, but he hasn't been bad.
Agar 4 - was very meh with the ball. Batting was awesome but he's not in the side for that.
Harris 9 - hardly bowls badly at all doesn't he? Every innings he makes at least some form of contribution.
Lyon 4 - only one test, bowled brilliantly at times, but was exploited at other times.

Cook 5 - couple of decent 50's, not much else. England are lucky he hasn't cost them more.
Root 7 - bonus points for his bowling. One really insane innings, but even then he was dropped, has looked a terrible starter.
Trott 4 - has looked in form, but hasn't made any big scores and hasn't even made many starts.
Pietersen 6.5 - like seemingly always, when he gets a score, it's when it's required of him to do so.
Bell 9.5 - near imperious. When he did get out, it was often due to some brilliant deliveries. Have to admit, I was very wrong here.
Bairstow 4 - fairly forgettable series, did make a 50 I suppose.
Prior 4 - largely awful with the bat, OK with the gloves.
Broad 6 - unlucky with the ball, played one crucial innings although was lucky.
Bresnan 7 - hasn't really starred, but hasn't really felt like he's let England down either.
Swann 8 - figures have arguably flattered him, but has still been England's most consistent bowler.
Anderson 7.5 - Unplayable at best, ineffective at worst. Won England Trent Bridge, but his ineffectiveness at Old Trafford rubbed off with the rest of the attack.
Finn 1 - awful. Could have easily cost England the match he played.

Feels like a lot less players at the top of the grade than usual. But there's still two games to go.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Cook - 6. Out of nick but his 1st innings runs proved very important, alas he's got a touch of the Watsons this series
Root - 3. Bowled economically.
Trott - 5. As with Cook, first dig was important but should have scored more.
Pietersen - 5. See Cook/Trott but in the second.
Bell - 10. Yes.
Prior - 2. Took a couple of catches.
Bresnan - 8. Vital contributions with bat and ball.
Broad - 10. Amazing.
Swann - 7. Not his best test but did enough, very useful runs
Anderson - 4. A point for each wicket, one for his batting at close on Friday and one for having the safe hands that won the series

Yes I am far too generous...sue me

Rogers - 9. I like this bloke, proper opener. Deserved to be on the winning side.
Warner - 8. Burgey's prediction nearly bore fruit. Laid the platform; not his fault that the middle order couldn't build on it.
Khawaja - 0. A poor man's Ravi Bopara.
Clarke - 4. Took a diamond of a ball to get rid of him. Used his bowlers well.
Smith - 0. Can't remember if he scored any first innings so giving him zero to be on the safe side
Watson - 5. Played his best innings of the series. If he'd hung about longer then it's probably 2-1.
Haddin - 4. Average.
Siddle - 2. Quiet.
Harris - 10. Injury has robbed cricket of what could have been an ATG.
Lyon - 7. Very good.
Bird - 4. Figures probably didn't do him justice.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Alastair Cook - 6 - Crucial first dig fifty. Kept cool in the field.
Joe Root - 2 - Go back to six please.
Jonathan Trott - 5 - Stop getting out please.
Kevin Pietersen - 5 - Important second innings knock.
Ian Bell - 9 - Hero
Jonny Biarstow - 4 - Fought hard, but not really good enough in my eyes.
Matt Prior - 2 - Hmm..
Tim Bresnan - 8 - Really solid throughout the game. Bowled well and got valuable runs.
Stuart Broad - 10 - What. A. ****ing. Gun.
Graeme Swann - 7 - Crucial wickets and crucial runs
James Anderson - 4 - Meh for the most part. Important wickets on the third morning.

Chris Rogers - 9.5 - Deserved to be on the winning side.
David Warner - 7 - It's taken until the fourth test, but Australia have finally got their best opening combination going.
Usman Khawaja - 2 - Got caught leaving one and missed a throw down second time around. 'nough said.
Michael Clarke - 4 - Got a jaffa, but would be helped if he moved his feet a bit more when facing Broad.
Steve Smith - 3 - A couple of failures, but it was tough going in the first innings.
Shane Watson - 6 - Really good first innings fifty, and bowled well until his injury. Wasted a review again though :ph34r:
Brad Haddin - 5 - Didn't get many runs, but kept pretty well.
Peter Siddle - 6 - A tad disappointing perhaps, but I thought he kept pressure up throughout the game, especially in the first innings.
Ryan Harris - 9 - World Class.
Nathan Lyon - 8 - Bowled really well throughout.
Jackson Bird - 6 - See Siddle.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Watson was amazing this Test. Got to 50 and chucked it away, injured himself bowling, whinged about his batting position and got out lbw in the 2nd innings, wasting a review in the process. I missed the WattoBingo Full House by 1, if only he'd slashed to gully after a break.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I forgot to give Bairstow a rating which I feel summarises his performance quite well

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I didn't do the last match, but I'd like to mention Rogers innings on the first day which I thought almost changed the entire impetus of the series, didn't work out but was almost game-changing, anyway this match:

Rogers 8: gritty opener has really done a job for Oz
Warner 6: fine performance, needed to go on both times though, job half done
Khawaja 1: feel a bit sorry for him, hapless
Clarke 5: Really good pro-active captaincy, bowling too good for him
Smith 1: Honestly poor I'm guessing all his support is ironic.
Watto 6: really gritty top innings in the first dig, bowled okay in that too. injury meant he did nowt after.
Haddin 2: Didn't bat or keep well
Siddle 2: Really disappointing after some sterling performances
Harris 9: what a bowler, decent innings first up
Lyon 8: was the best spinner on show
Bird 3: don't want to do a FJ and dismiss him out of hand, but perfect conditions for his style of bowling, and he really wasn't good second go.

Cook 5: good 60 and he made some de4cent decisions in the last throes of the match
Root 2: not good really
Trott 5: scored 70 odd runs, not looking brilliant, took some good catches
KP 5: scored 80 odd good runs
Bell 9: Terrible first innings, second one was great though.
Bairstow 4: scored some runs fielded okay
Prior 1: batted terribly kept averagely
Broad 9: What a bowler what a man
Bresnan 8: bowled well, batted well
Swann 7: decent bowling, vital innings'
Anderson 2: not a great performance from him.

morgieb

Rogers 9.5 - loses half a point for not getting a 50 second dig. World-class.
Warner 7 - almost put Australia in a winning position, if the middle order was stronger we would've won.
Khawaja 2 - looks abysmal.
Clarke 3.5 - captained well I guess. Did take a lot to get him out mind you.
Smith 1.5 - two failures, and dropped a catch.
Watson 6 - finally scores some important runs, but then gets out, and then injured. Oops.
Haddin 4 - kept well, did nothing with the bat though.
Siddle 2 - quiet. If this is another back-to-back test he probably should be rested.
Harris 9.5 - world-class, particularly in the second innings.
Lyon 8.5 - great performance. Maybe not Harris-esque but well deserved figures.
Bird 3.5 - mediocre. Imagine the **** Starc would get if he took Bird's figures.

Cook 5.5 - couple of starts.
Root 2 - err....stayed out there for a while.
Trott 5 - see Cook.
Pietersen 5.5 - useful knock in the second innings.
Bell 9 - nothing needs to be said about the first innings but was amazing in the second innings.
Bairstow 4 - fought hard I guess.
Prior 3 - horrid with the bat, OK with the gloves.
Bresnan 7 - crucial all-round contributions.
Broad 10 - wow.
Swann 7 - see Bresnan.
Anderson 5 - took some key wickets on the third morning, but looks out of sorts and arguably should be rested.

Cooky Monster

U19 12th Man
Abysmal really is a great word, just look at it, strange looking word but a brilliant word, still having a chuckle at it, heinous is the one i usually go for but abysmal is definately in from now on.

Thanks for that.

Burgey

Only saw Khawaja's dismissal for the first time this morning. Kid looked like he was batting in Braille.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
England:

Cook: 5/10 - Fifty in first innings + Good start in the second
Root: 2/10
Trott : 5/10 - ditto Cook
Pieterson : 6/10 - Important contribution in the second innings.
Bell: 9/10 - Match winning contribution #1 .
Bairstow : 4 - Batted okay in the second innings.
Prior : 3/10
Bresnan : 7.5/10 - Important second innings batting, gave England a total they could defend and also gave the ever important breakthrough
Broad : 10/10 - Match Winner #2 & overall best player of the match
Swann - 7.5/10 - Got two quick wickets on day 3 and good batting on day 4.
Anderson : 2/10 - Not great.

Australia:

Rogers - 9/10 - Great show of grit on day 2, very good as well on day 4.
Warner - 7.5 - Bad first innings, a completely different animal in the second. Looked like he had taken the game away from England at one point
Khawaja - 0.5/10 - A bit of leniency here.
Clarke - 3 - Played a **** shot to get out first innings, was victim of a sizzling delivery in the second.
Smith - 2 - Looked good until he got out first innings, second was not that good
Watson - 5.5 - Played well enough in the first innings
Haddin - 5/10
Siddle - 3/10 - Uneventful
Harris : 9.5/10 - Like Broad, inspired respect among the batsmen by unleashing some seriously dangerous bowling.
Lyon - 7/10 - underrated and kept it tight often.
Bird - 4/10 - Decent start to his Ashes career I guess, but didn't look particularly fearsome.

91Jmay

International Coach
Cook: 6 Getting starts but not going on. Throwing Bresnan the ball despite bellend Warne clamoring for Broad before he got Warner is brilliant.
Root: 3 Struggling hugely against the new ball. Big ? still remain about him as an opener.
Trott : 3 Sick of him getting himself out when he looks totally set and comfortable.
Pieterson : 6 Good runs in the 2nd innings that stalled the Aussies momentum.
Bell: 9 Yet again was quality. World class middle order bat.
Bairstow : 5 Was an important knock in the 2nd innings as it put us into the driving seat. He clearly has talent, but has looked so bad at times its scarcely believable.
Prior : 1 Nothing with the bat again and crap with the gloves again. Having a horror.
Bresnan : 8 Showed his value with the bat, and bowled pretty well first innings and excellently 2nd innings.
Broad : 10 11 wickets, and a couple of the best spells of bowling you can wish to see.
Swann - 7 Good with the bat, and took 4 important wickets.
Anderson : 3 Pretty poor with the ball for second game in a row.

Australia:

Rogers: 9 Brilliant from Rogers, only loses a mark for getting out at quite crucial times. Just before the new ball first dig and just as he and Warner were really starting to get on top 2nd.
Warner: 8 Looked all at sea first innings but in the seconds he looked solid, watchful and powerful on anything loose.
Khawaja:1 Not a test match player. Hopeless against Swann.
Clarke: 2 Dreadful shot from a player of his class first innings and depite some lol comments otherwise got an unplayable one from Broad.
Smith: 2 Doesn't really look good enough, struggles against most of the bowlers. Only bright spot is he sometimes looks ok against Swann.
Watson: 6 Good innings first dig, but compounded the collapse by getting out LBW again.
Haddin: 3 Kept well but no runs.
Siddle: 2 Not very threatening with the ball.
Harris: 10 Brilliant in both innings, and a solid contribution with the bat to give Australia a lead.
Lyon: 6 Bowled well, kept it tight and bowled very few four balls. Didn't spin it and a fair few of his wickets were give aways but certainly he is a test quality spinner. No reason to be dropped.
Bird: 4 I thought he looked good first innings, but second innings he looked county standard. Something about him I like though.

Burgey

I thought your ratings for England would have been:
Cook 7
Root 7
Trott 7
Pietersen 7
Bell 7
Bairstow 7
Prior 7
Broad 7
Bresnan 7