• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player Ratings - As We Go By....

Furball

Evil Scotsman
There's some incredibly generous marks for a batting lineup dismissed for 128 on an absolute road, particularly when the overwhelming consensus is that England didn't bowl particularly brilliantly.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
There's some incredibly generous marks for a batting lineup dismissed for 128 on an absolute road, particularly when the overwhelming consensus is that England didn't bowl particularly brilliantly.
Not surprising that different people have different ratings criteria. Looking at your ratings, you gave a batsman (Khawaja) a 0 for making a good 50. That's incredibly harsh despite his shocking first innings dismissal.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Not surprising that different people have different ratings criteria. Looking at your ratings, you gave a batsman (Khawaja) a 0 for making a good 50. That's incredibly harsh despite his shocking first innings dismissal.
His 50 was inconsequential because the batsmen **** the bed 1st innings.

And when Australia needed to bat 5 sessions to save the game I'm not giving marks to a player who bats a couple of hours to make 50.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well it's better than nothing. If they'd all done that they would have at least come close to saving the game.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Sure it was a 2nd innings 50 but it was a positive in my mind. We have some young bats and I'll take a couple of positives from the game (Uzis 50 and Harris) given all the negatives.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Its your choice obviously Furball, but I think the selectors and anyone supporting Australia would be more pleased with Khawaja's performance compared to say Agar who you rated as a 2.

Khawaja performed in one of the innings, while Hughes was terrible in both so its natural to give them different marks.

Flametree

International 12th Man
It's a joke to give Khawaja a zero or a token 2/10. Root's second innings 180 was entirely inconsequential to the result as well but I don't see anyone marking him down for it... If anything Khawaja faced the hardest batting conditions of the test and got 50. It's gotta be worth something.

91Jmay

International Coach
It's a joke to give Khawaja a zero or a token 2/10. Root's second innings 180 was entirely inconsequential to the result as well but I don't see anyone marking him down for it... If anything Khawaja faced the hardest batting conditions of the test and got 50. It's gotta be worth something.
You just compared a 180 to a 50. Hardest batting conditions of the test? Not really - pretty much the same as day 4.

morgieb

Even Root's 180 is dumb to call inconsequential. What happened if England's struggles early in the second innings turned into a full blown collapse? Then the game would've looked very interesting.

Daemon

congrats on getting trolled by gingerfurball you dumb ****s.

I'm a huge fan but Khawaja deserves a 3, maximum 4 if you're the generous types.

morgieb

congrats on getting trolled by gingerfurball you dumb ****s.

I'm a huge fan but Khawaja deserves a 3, maximum 4 if you're the generous types.
Haha yeah, a lot of his Australia ratings at least was at least semi-joking.

Spark

Global Moderator
Even Root's 180 is dumb to call inconsequential. What happened if England's struggles early in the second innings turned into a full blown collapse? Then the game would've looked very interesting.
we might have lost by 150 instead of 350!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If Khawaja had batted for more than a day and scored 180 then I'd be praising his efforts.

edit: I'd also probably have given him 5 if he'd scored his 50 in the first dig then played a lolbad shot in the 2nd.

Last edited:

Swingpanzee

International Regular
England:

Cook : 2
Root : 9
Trott : 4
Pieterson : 1
Bell : 9
Bairstow : 6.5
Prior : 2
Bresnan : 8
Broad : 7
Swann : 8.5
Anderson : 7.5

Australia:

Watson : 3
Rogers : 1
Khawaja : 4
Hughes : 1
Clarke : 4.5
Smith : 4.5
Haddin : 1
Agar : 1
Siddle : 6.5
Pattinson : 5.5
Harris : 8.75 - 9

Last edited:

morgieb

Watson 4 - couple of starts, tight but ineffective bowling. Typical Watson.
Rogers 7 - great knock in the first innings to put the platform for the team to dominate.
Khawaja 3 - unlucky in the first innings, but still not good. Arguably as bad as Hughes against spin.
Clarke 10 - could lose a point for dropping a catch, but the rain made that kinda moot anyway.
Smith 6.5 - loses points for not converting despite all that luck.
Warner 4 - hiding to nothing first innings, decent aggressive knock second innings. In many ways was a parody.
Haddin 7.5 - kept solidly with a couple of screamers, not the hardest time to play his game but still did well.
Siddle 8.5 - very good. Shouldn't be batting 8 though.
Starc 7 - fine aggressive knock, bowled decent.
Harris 8 - very good, particularly on Day 5.
Lyon 5 - took a clattering from some bowlers at times, was very good on Day 2 though.

Cook 6 - good, tough knock in the first innings.
Root 4 - should have bowled more. Tough knocks, though little runs were scored.
Trott 2 - bad.
Pietersen 8 - the innings England wanted, he delivered. Arguably lucky to still be out there, but was unlucky to get out when he did.
Bell 6.5 - good little 50, though somewhat down on the last two Tests.
Baristow 4 - was OK. Showed a little fight.
Prior 5 - average. Showed a little fight with the bat, but didn't look very solid with the gloves.
Bresnan 4 - took occasional wickets, wasn't much to write home about though.
Broad 4 - better than his figures suggest.
Swann 6 - England's best bowler here, only one that made any inroads on the first day.
Anderson 3 - poor. Showed that England need him to do....well...anything.

Uppercut

Clarke loses a point for declaring the first innings too soon imo. Just a handful more runs and they would have been able to make England follow on and given themselves a chance of forcing the win.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Rolling series ratings

Australia

Watson 4
Rogers 5
Khawaja 3.5
Clarke 7.5
Smith 6.5
Warner 3.5
Haddin 5.5
Siddle 8.5
Starc 6
Harris 8.5
Lyon 3
Agar 3.5
Hughes 4
Pattinson 4.5
Cowan 2

England
Cook 4
Root 7
Trott 3.5
Pietersen 6.5
Bell 9
Bairstow 4.5
Prior 3.5
Bresnan 6
Broad 4.5
Swann 7.5
Anderson 7.5
Finn 3

EDIT - Forgot Bairstow..

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
Hmm Starc 6, Broad 4.5? not sure about that. I think Broad has bowled pretty well in this series so far without much luck at all. Starc has been ok, but definitely the weak link amongst our bowlers. Broad has made a good deal more runs too.

Can totally understand if you deducted points off Broad for being a **** though