• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Placing our bets on "Test Cricket's Young Fab Four"

Which of these "Young Fabbies" will make it the biggest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

watson

Banned
Why has Steven Smith only got one vote to date? Underneath that baby face of his lurks a cricketer as determined as Steve Waugh, and he wasn't pretty to watch either. So don't be fooled.

I also think that he is the most complete batsman of the four;

Initially he looked anxious and fidgety, lacking a still position when watching the ball. But on realising that footwork and body position are the cornerstones to successful batting, he now seems comfortable playing home or away, against pace or spin, off front or back foot.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/774705.html

Smith by some distance.

Last edited:

watson

Banned
At 216 for 6 after the fall of Clarke's wicket Smith walks out to the middle and basically says "**** you all" under pressure in the second innings. Not a bad temperment to have.

Last edited:

GGG

State Captain
I haven't seen enough of Steven Smith so can't really compare him to the others and I don't want to incur the wrath of dingdong by speculating.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Joe Root becomes a better test batsman than Kohli as a test batsman I'll leave this forum.

Bad news for you blokes is this question won't be answered for another 5-10 years. So you'll have to deal with me til then.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Joe Root becomes a better test batsman than Kohli as a test batsman I'll leave this forum.

Bad news for you blokes is this question won't be answered for another 5-10 years. So you'll have to deal with me til then.
Kohli to retire from test cricket following the Australian tour to focus on WC, IPL, and his Bollywood career alongside Ms Sharma :ph34r:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!

He already is, close the door on the way out.

Burgey

Toss up between Williamson and Root for me. Williamson's phenomenal work ethic the tie-breaker.

I don't rate TPC at all and don't think he should be on the list. Bravo should be there instead.
TPC's exponential improvement has been off the charts since his recall. He plays spin well and has scored runs against SA away as well. Barring a tragic gallon away he'll end up captaining Australia and averaging 45-50.

Think he belongs in the argument.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Root's average away to Johnson et al Bradmanesque when compared with Kohli in the series just gone :ph34r:

Burgey

Why does Joe Root have votes? He is a good player but better than the others in the list?

He has more technical issues than Kane and Virat.

As for TPC - I wouldn't mention the word technique and him in the same sentence :ph34r:
I think TPC's fidgetting and awkwardness count against him. He looks peculiar at times, particularly before the ball is released, but check out where he's at at te point of release. It's not dissimilar to Chanders and Katman in that they have these weird looking set ups but at the point of delivery they are in line, head still and balanced.

Not saying TPC's movements are as exaggerated as those two, but rather using them as more extreme examples. Smitteh used to stay leg side of the ball which is the single thing which ****s me most in a batsman because it implies lack of testicular fortitude, but he's remedied that.

Last edited: