• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Placing our bets on "Test Cricket's Young Fab Four"

Which of these "Young Fabbies" will make it the biggest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shri

Mr. Glass
Given time, he'll get back down to earth. Will still have this awesome peak but I don't think he'll finish off like a god that he is now.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
and he is becoming too cautious a batsman. which is affecting him in other formats.

He used to be a free flowing free scoring batsman, but now he seems like he is hell bent on eliminating all remaining possibilities of getting out even if it means considerably lower SR. It is working in tests atm, especially at home but he has to adapt in other formats.

Gob

International Coach
I can't give a flying **** about other formats as long as he keeps doing this in tests

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I think his form in ODIs at the moment is a truer gage of where he's at right now. He's not hitting them cleanly and he's not even seeing them all that well. It's just that he's in an amazing place mentally right now which is why he's doing so well in tests.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith's technique is so heavily reliant on his hand and eye coordination, the way he covers the stumps and moves across and then flicks everything to the leg side with minimum error is a testament to his excellent hand and eye ability
How is this garbage still perpetuated?

Burgey

I was listening to the radio the other week and they were talking about TPC's movements before the ball is bowled. They were saying one of the former internationals who's now heavily into coaching goes around with this side-by-side video of all these great players with their different movements, yet at the point of release they're all pretty much in exactly the same position - head still, well balanced and largely side on. I can't for the life of me remember who the coach is they were talking about, but it would be a good video to watch.

The lesson in it really is that your trigger movements don't really matter a hell of a lot provided you're in line and in position as the ball is bowled. They matter more to us from an aesthetic POV than I think they do to the players.

Edit: have remembered that it's Phil Jaques who's done the video apparently.

Last edited:

Burgey

I don't get how not missing balls off your pads, which is a basic skill for any Test batsman, is somehow incredibly unique.

Smith's technique is no weirder on that front than Katich, GSmith or Chanderpaul. What makes Smith unique is almost entirely mental: the **** just refuses to play shots which he judges as too risky, and therefore is near impossible to get out once set.
He's an Aspy Steve Waugh.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Not missing balls on your pads is about balance and keeping your head still, not eye. If you simply miss balls on your stumps because you don't have the hand-eye coordination to hit them then you should probably do something other than be a Test batsman with your life. The main reason most batsmen don't like to go that far across is because they overbalance and their head falls to the offside when they do so, because all their momentum is already going in that direction.
Yep. Plus it's difficult to take evasive action if you want to leave a shorter delivery. And you progressively close down the offside as a scoring area.

Standing on off stump is nothing new. The worst batsmen at my club did it. None of them scored like Smith. Steve, Graeme, Robin, Will or Jayden

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, if there is one genuinely freakish thing about the technique it's that he is still so strong through the offside, and especially driving quite square on the offside, despite his technique and his backlift. If you think about the other notable batsman who used a similar setup, none of them were exactly noted for their square or cover driving.

Actually the one other batsman who I can think of who also takes an off-stump guard and is kind of legside dominant, especially off his pads, but has developed into an incredible square of the wicket driver is... Virat Kohli. So again, not really unique in that respect either.

Last edited:

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
One thing in Root's favour is that he's already got 3 scores above 150. Williamson has just scored his first 150+ score and it wouldn't surprise me to see him get several in the years to come, but at this stage Root is easily the winner of making it count, when set.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Daemon

I dont think there is much worse posting than loling at a call made 4 years previous when you have the benefit of hindsight on your side.
There's definitely much worse posting than that. Just look at all his other ones.