• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Placing our bets on "Test Cricket's Young Fab Four"

Which of these "Young Fabbies" will make it the biggest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Probably. Needs to deliver away from home more especially in the subcontinent
Needs to do it more often when there's matches and series on the line imo. If Australia bats again today, watch him make a 70 ball ton with a first innings lead of 300 or so behind him, and the press yap him up as something incredible again.

He ****s me, frankly. Early career de Villiers level of slalom going on.

Zinzan

I know their age was a big part of the 'fab four' label, but Warner has slipped right up into that group, even if we're purely talking test cricket.

If we're talking all forms, then is there any reason Warner isn't behind Kohli and AB as the 3rd best bat across the 3 forms currently.

My top 5 across all forms of cricket would be;

1.Kohli
2.AB
3.Warner
5 = Root/Smith

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I know their age was a big part of the 'fab four' label, but Warner has slipped right up into that group, even if we're purely talking test cricket.
No. If anything he has slipped away from the pack mate. Davey's test form this year is way below the standard the others have set.

All formats combined though, yes I probably agree with your ratings.

Zinzan

No. If anything he has slipped away from the pack mate. Davey's test form this year is way below the standard the others have set.

All formats combined though, yes I probably agree with your ratings.
Well yeah that was specifically combining the formats remembering Warner's been a total freak at ODI & T20 (and yes I include IPL :p) levels,

Zinzan

smith and kohli turning this into a fab 2 tbh.
Root's up there with those two, he just came off a series averaging 50 in Indian conditions against Ashwin & co. Unfair comparing that to what Smith does on flat Australian wickets that suits his style down to the ground & Kohli does at home against very ordinary English and New Zealand attacks.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
root averages a century every 5 matches. until that improves i don't see how you can compare him to those guys.

he needs to be utterly dominant. enough of the breezy, attractive but ultimately meaningless half centuries.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Root's up there with those two, he just came off a series averaging 50 in Indian conditions against Ashwin & co. Unfair comparing that to what Smith does on flat Australian wickets that suits his style down to the ground & Kohli does at home against very ordinary English and New Zealand attacks.
I agree with you Zinzan, Root is most definitely in the group. But one question, what attack could Kohli score runs against in India which you'd not describe as "very ordinary"?

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just flat out wrong. Arguing based on the outcome.

Zinzan

I agree with you Zinzan, Root is most definitely in the group. But one question, what attack could Kohli score runs against in India which you'd not describe as "very ordinary"?
Good question, none compared with Ashwin, Jadeja and co, but the next best on those wickets i'm guessing would be Sri Lanka, Pakistan, & even West Indies and Bangladesh, before you get into the other non-continental sides.

What would be interesting is people's best current world Test XI to take on India in India.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Good question, none compared with Ashwin, Jadeja and co, but the next best on those wickets i'm guessing would be Sri Lanka, Pakistan, & even West Indies and Bangladesh, before you get into the other non-continental sides.

What would be interesting is people's best current world Test XI to take on India in India.
Personally I feel any bowling line-up with Broad and Anderson in it, who have previously done well in Asia and UAE, can't be "very ordinary". I do think England didn't bowl well, but that's different to whether their actual attack was "very ordinary" I think its a little unfair on Kohli as basically any runs he get in India will be against a bowling attack that won't be deemed to be good. Even Lanka people would say its Fatty or bust.

Zinzan

Just flat out wrong. Arguing based on the outcome.
You're deluded if you think they had a good attack for Indian conditions compared to the other sides I mentioned above. Rashid was quite good, but unlikely as good as Herath or Shah on those tracks & the other English spinners were terrible. Even with Rashid doing quite well, West Indies and Bangers have more depth in the spin department for those tracks.

vcs

best current world Test XI to take on India in India
Azhar Ali
Root
Amla
Smith
Younis Khan
De Kock (wk)
Stokes
Philander
Shah
Herath
Starc

Steyn if fit over Philander obviously

Last edited:

Zinzan

Personally I feel any bowling line-up with Broad and Anderson in it, who have previously done well in Asia and UAE, can't be "very ordinary". I do think England didn't bowl well, but that's different to whether their actual attack was "very ordinary" I think its a little unfair on Kohli as basically any runs he get in India will be against a bowling attack that won't be deemed to be good. Even Lanka people would say its Fatty or bust.
It's no insult to your mate Kohli at all, don't be so sensitive. I'm pointing out the obvious fact that out of the 3 batting scenarios, Smith vs Pakistan on Aust wickets, Kohli vs NZ & England on home tracks & Root against Ashwin & Jadeja in India, clearly the latter had the harder task.

With respect to Anderson and Broad, it's not being played in England, & having seen the sort of conditions NZ faced, I never expected the English seamers to pose much of a threat, it was always going to be the spinners for me, regardless what happen 4 years ago. Dion Nash bowled India out for 80 once, I'm talking about 2016.

Zinzan

Azhar Ali
Root
Amla
Smith
Younis Khan
De Kock (wk)
Stokes
Philander
Shah
Herath
Starc

Steyn if fit over Philander obviously
Jeez you'd be tempted to keep with Bairstow after that series wouldn't you?