• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Philander, Ashwin and George Lohmann

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Played South Africa in 3 tests when they were absolute minnows and made merry.

Also, almost every test he played against Australia was played in very favorable conditions for bowlers, and during the 1880s Australian batting was generally dire.

The average first innings score for the oppositon when Lohmann played was 113, ffs.
Much of that may have come down to Lohmann though. Circular logic?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why isnt Lohmann rated that highly when talking of ATG bowlers despite having a phenomenal average mimicking the statistical superiority of Bradman in batting?

The next best was Sydney Barnes IIRC who averaged at 16 a piece.
I think it might have had something to do with the fact that he played before historians/journalists started taking great interest in the game.

However, that didn't stop W.G. Grace....

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
basically every argument that has been used to try to devalue bradman has instead been applied to lohmann

Shri

Mr. Glass
If India pick 3 seamers for every test against england he will take 80 wickets in the series and cross the mark for sure.

Heboric

International Debutant
Well Vernon will be playing 3 tests against Australia then 2 against New Zealand. But it will be a tall order 7 a match is a tough ask.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Philander would have to take more than 6 wickets every match to tie. Highly unlikely.
And yet he has 63 in his first 10 tests.

If Morkel keeps blowing hot and cold, and they keep picking Tahir, I think Vernon will have a reasonable shot at it.

Valer

First Class Debutant
Philander need to do slightly worse than he did in his first 5 tests (7.2 wpm) to beat Lohmann.

Possible but unlikely.

Ashwin I think is likely as others have mentioned given the other Indian bowling at home.

On Lohmann

If we exculde him from the dataset the average runs/wicket is ~21 (19.9 without)
For all time we have ~32

This adjust the average to 16.4 /17.3 . (Note he benifits from home/ away / SA bashing as well).

Bradman does 33.4 // 32

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The South Africans who fell like lemmings to Lohmann didn't have a clue what was coming - the biggest disadvantage that Philander and Ashwin have is that their future opponents will have the chance to examine them minutely - I don't think they will necessarily fall quite as spectacularly as Mendis did, but the batsman they have to face in the coming months will certainly be ready for them

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
If Ashwin comes within a bull's roar of that record it would be an utter ****ing indictment and make a mockery of the game.
Lohhmann's record is one of least important records considered he bowled to a set of **** batsmen.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Philander need to do slightly worse than he did in his first 5 tests (7.2 wpm) to beat Lohmann.

Possible but unlikely.

Ashwin I think is likely as others have mentioned given the other Indian bowling at home.

On Lohmann

If we exculde him from the dataset the average runs/wicket is ~21 (19.9 without)
For all time we have ~32

This adjust the average to 16.4 /17.3 . (Note he benifits from home/ away / SA bashing as well).

Bradman does 33.4 // 32

If you take Lohmann's bowling out of all the matches he played, the other bowlers in the team still took wickets at 14.13.

Also, what is important in terms of wicket taking, is that in Lohmann's 18 matches, all 10 wickets were taken in all but one of the 36 innings, and in that one innings, 9 wickets fell. Pretty handy when you looking to get to 100 wickets as quickly as possible. I can't think of any other bowler that was blessed with such favorable conditions.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
if indian curators create spin pitches ( Dhoni has been talking about it as well) Ashwin might break it..6 wickets/test puts him at 97.. ..I think he will do it..

Arachnodouche

International Captain
All these super old timers being touted up..it's like the first wheel was a bit square but hey, it got you around the block so it must've been great! Even looking at stills of a few of the oldies makes me wonder whether bowling biomechanics had evolved to a certain optimum in terms of maximizing output.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Played South Africa in 3 tests when they were absolute minnows and made merry.

Also, almost every test he played against Australia was played in very favorable conditions for bowlers, and during the 1880s Australian batting was generally dire.

The average first innings score for the oppositon when Lohmann played was 113, ffs.
You are right about the difficult batting conditions in that era and matches against relative minnows, but he still was head and shoulders above his peers who played in the same conditions.

Just feel he is hard done by cricket historians when W.G Grace and Ranji (in India) of that era have been accorded due status.