• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pat Cummins

Socerer 01

International Captain
Bang average. Did U watch the recent India series or the last two tests v England (incl this test)

No depth in batting or bowling (anymore)

This ashes series very disappointed. their weakest batter Crawley scored 189
you lost 2-1 to us and could have won the series if not for 1 braindead session of batting

this team isn’t average by any measure stop being an overreacting person

subshakerz

International Coach
They were all rounders in great teams. Stacked fast bowling depth and sheer depth in batting. Pak one of the best cricket sides of the 80s to 90s, and SAF one of the best cricket sides in the 90s to 2000s close 2nd to Aus.

Cummins is in a average team with little in the way of support. His team doesn't stack up in any era
Pak in the 80s had a shaky middle order and IK had to stabilize things. Fair to say no captain has shouldered his level of burden.

This is not an average Aussie side. They haven't played their best though and they are still leading England at their home.

subshakerz

International Coach
Expect this Aussie team to rebound next test. Cummins is made of tougher stuff but this England side has peaked.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Expect this Aussie team to rebound next test. Cummins is made of tougher stuff but this England side has peaked.
I expected them to rebound this test. They should have gone with normal selections (i.e.: pick a spinner) and just got on with it. Easy to say in hindsight I guess. We could have ended up in the same predicament, but the mindset was clearly defensive when we went with the team we did.

loterry1994

International Debutant
His never been this bad in his captaincy career think a lot of it has to do with him being absolutely cooked. It’s tough playing 4 tests in a row as a fast bowler as well as being captain

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
His never been this bad in his captaincy career think a lot of it has to do with him being absolutely cooked. It’s tough playing 4 tests in a row as a fast bowler as well as being captain
This is his 5th Test in a row with the WTC Final played a week before the Ashes

subshakerz

International Coach
I expected them to rebound this test. They should have gone with normal selections (i.e.: pick a spinner) and just got on with it. Easy to say in hindsight I guess. We could have ended up in the same predicament, but the mindset was clearly defensive when we went with the team we did.
Australia's drive is missing since getting 2-0 up compared to England who are in survival mode and treating every test like a semi.

subshakerz

International Coach
Cummins until this test was actually captaining pretty well. Led from the front in the first test, managed to keep his cool to prevent the run chase in the second test, and kept Australia competitive in the third.

2nd session of day 2 of this test caught him unawares completely and maybe the fatigue meant he wasnt proactive enough.

He is still a good captain on most days for me. His side is leading the Ashes in England against the best English team Australia have faced since 2005. If it was Tim Paine, guarantee Australia would already be trailing.

Last edited:

Saket1209

State Vice-Captain
Cummins should be rested for the fifth test match. He is already exhausted. 5 test in a row. Plus he is out of form in this whole tour. Really needs a break.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
He has rebuilt Australian cricket after the previous 2 captains finished ignominiously due to cellphones and sandpaper. He is the world's best allround bowler since Steyn, captained Australia to a fantastic series win in Pakistan with great bowling and leadership, led them to the WTC, inspired them to win the 1st Ashes test with guts and skill, and took a 6-fer in the 3rd.

He has lost his mother this year, lost 4 consecutive tosses in the Ashes, lost his key point of difference (Lyon), been let down by his top 7, and personally had a stinker of a test. I feel sorry for the bloke.

Richie McCaw was the best rugby player on the planet but many wanted him sacked as All Black captain after we lost in the 2007 RWC 1/4 finals to France. He came back better and became the GOAT. Obviously Cummins isn't in the McCaw tier but even if Australia get thrashed in the next 2 tests he should be given more time to develop in his leadership.

the big bambino

International Captain
Geez you're not resting your captain for the deciding Ashes test. Especially when he's arguably your best player. Cummins has not had much luck this summer as has been previously mentioned. He did lead us to 3 wins in a row and done well enough with bat and ball besides this match - which has been a stinker all round.

However some criticism is fair and it's been mentioned by Darren Berry. The bowling tactics have been horrid and he fairly cops the blame for that. Berry can't believe the bowlers are happy about the situation and he should know about these things. Cummins should stand up and tell whomever has hit upon these lengths to go take a jump. Unless he himself is the authour or main backer. In which case criticism would be fair on that at least.

the big bambino

International Captain
Btw the OP calling him medium pace and over the hill at 30 when he's one of the youngest bowlers in the match and amongst the youngest on the field is just plain stupid.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really wonder what the backroom staff are doing to help Cummins out. It doesn't feel like an awful lot if we're still seeing these tactics.
Despite not watching I have discerned that the horrible tactics have continued unabated. You'd think that there was someone in either the team or staff who could sum up the courage to say the long-hop strategy isn't working.