• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pat Cummins

Spark

Global Moderator
Despite not watching I have discerned that the horrible tactics have continued unabated. You'd think that there was someone in either the team or staff who could sum up the courage to say the long-hop strategy isn't working.
Not only have they contained unabated, they got even worse.

Shady Slim

International Coach
An average team? Far from it. It's a team suffering from average selections and average on-field captaincy under pressure.
i agree with first point re selections but i really can't agree with this bit - as i've said before it's my firm belief a lot of this stuff that we are seeing on field that has been heavily questioned seems to be decisions taken by all in the war room rather than bad line ball calls in the ringer sort of thing

EDIT: the use or rather misuse of #MURPHMENTUM though you are absolutely right and i'd say falls into the category which you've identified

Spark

Global Moderator
Wow.

It's like they conclude the exact opposite of what they should.
To Crawley there was the phenomenon that he played and missed or edged every other ball they put in roughly the right place - wide of off stump and on a length - so what did they increasingly do? Bowl short and straight. Utterly bizarre.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Did Pat pro-climate stance rubbed some people so bad that they are now questioning his captaincy which won them the WTC?
This comment says more about you. The questioning of his captaincy comes from the continued employment of contentious and apparently counter-productive tactics that don't exploit the English batting's weaknesses.

Adorable Asshole

International Regular
This comment says more about you. The questioning of his captaincy comes from the continued employment of contentious and apparently counter-productive tactics that don't exploit the English batting's weaknesses.
I was joking but the outrage over his captaincy in the Ashes is overblown. You all need to remember that he is playing with one bowler down it's hard apply the strategy that was working till now. You all can criticize him for not trusting Murphy though.

I'm really amazed that some keyboard warriors would know better what is a better bowling strategy to England than an ATG bowler.

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Cummins as non-captain has 34 tests and 164 wkts @ 21.59 (4.8 wkts per test)

As Captain it's 20 tests and 73 wkts @ 24.61 (3.6 wkts per test)

That's a significant difference considering his time as captain coincides with the age a lot of pace bowlers are at their peak

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was joking but the outrage over his captaincy in the Ashes is overblown. You all need to remember that he is playing with one bowler down it's hard apply the strategy that was working till now. You all can criticize him for not trusting Murphy though.

I'm really amazed that some keyboard warriors would know better what is a better bowling strategy to England than an ATG bowler.
I can only conclude you haven't watched a ball of this series.

the big bambino

International Captain

With respect everyone's accountable and the comment smacks of Brad McNamara "how many shield games have you played" attitude to deflect criticism. The tactic isn't working as is plain to see so he and the team deserves criticism. The question should be "why can't an ATG bowler see it"?

91Jmay

International Coach
Cummins as non-captain has 34 tests and 164 wkts @ 21.59 (4.8 wkts per test)

As Captain it's 20 tests and 73 wkts @ 24.61 (3.6 wkts per test)

That's a significant difference considering his time as captain coincides with the age a lot of pace bowlers are at their peak
Thats a v interesting point and worth considering.

Ali TT

International Debutant
This thread has quite a different vibe to the other one on this forum about Pat Cummins started a month ago by the same poster.

Spark

Global Moderator

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh

loterry1994

International Debutant

Nah it’s definitely justified in my opinion Lyon is a big loss like you say but he completely lost the plot with his tactics test 3 and 4 with over blowing the short stuff and t20 bowling. If aus lost this test which they would have he would have copped more of it. They had a very good chance to win test 3 but his tactics lost it for them

Spark

Global Moderator
Think he means the gifts they were given at Lords.

Technically, it did work, I suppose.
Right but there was a Test that was arguably lost in no small part because of those tactics in both innings with the ball, and yet it only deteriorated at Headingley. I keep repeating it but I seriously question just what the backroom staff are doing.

In general fast bowlers just shouldn't be captains. It's too much on their plate. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that it would delight the literal worst people in the country.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Right but there was a Test that was arguably lost in no small part because of those tactics in both innings with the ball, and yet it only deteriorated at Headingley. I keep repeating it but I seriously question just what the backroom staff are doing.

In general fast bowlers just shouldn't be captains. It's too much on their plate. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that it would delight the literal worst people in the country.
Agreed plus also the problem with a fast bowling captain it’s hard to rest them in a 4-5 match series. He looked way off this test with his bowling and tactics might affect him the 5th test also. But if his not captain his definitely not playing 5 in a row

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain

I agree about fast bowlers being captains, it's a massive ask and not surprisingly Cummins has struggled at times.

Looking from afar, it seems he was the captain of last resort. After the Paine debacle, who else was there to turn to.

Presumably CA didn't want to go to either Smith or Warner for obvious reasons.

Even now, who would CA turn to to replace Cummins. Khawaja for a year or 2 maybe.