• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pat Cummins

halba

International 12th Man
Had a shocker test. I think it's time he took a break from captaincy and focus on bowling.

His bowling generally has peaked in terms of form. He is 30 years old and not a very young man anymore in this game. He started very young. His pace has dropped, just medium pace this test, and he is over worked with little support.

He also had shocker tests in India so it's starting to go downhill

Molehill

International Captain
What's slightly surprised me is how off he's been with the ball in this Test given he's just had 9 days rest. With him looking knackered and Starc potentially injured, what attack will be available come The Oval next week?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So many ex captains say how draining the job is and after the year Cummins has had and the heavy schedule he looks totally shot. Feel sorry for him really but he is captain so will play next week. Needs a break before world cup though.

Kirkut

International Regular
Nothing much can be done if the batting disappoints all the time. When you have runs on the board, bowlers can be in their rhythm instead of the constant pressure to bowl out opposition at <250

halba

International 12th Man
Imran Khan and Shaun Pollock come to mind
They were all rounders in great teams. Stacked fast bowling depth and sheer depth in batting. Pak one of the best cricket sides of the 80s to 90s, and SAF one of the best cricket sides in the 90s to 2000s close 2nd to Aus.

Cummins is in a average team with little in the way of support. His team doesn't stack up in any era

91Jmay

International Coach
Anyone who thinks selectors should be looking to phase out cricketers as soon as they hit 30 should be put down.
Yep, literally the oppo formula for success - particularly last 5 years as players play longer. Aus WTC winning side have what 2/3 players who played regularly under the age of 28?

halba

International 12th Man
Is it really an average team ?
Bang average. Did U watch the recent India series or the last two tests v England (incl this test)

No depth in batting or bowling (anymore)

This ashes series very disappointed. their weakest batter Crawley scored 189

Last edited:

WICFan

U19 Captain
I'd be surprised if he gives up the captaincy in the near future, especially at a time when there is a lack of alternatives and the nearing of a rebuild.

Cummins and the selectors will probably rotate in whatever ODI's they have in the build up to the CWC and then they've a home Summer against Pakistan and West Indies.

After the New Zealand tour they have a considerable break in the calendar so I expect he'll get a decent break then.

91Jmay

International Coach
Didn't he just captain Australia to win the WTC?
Isn't he number 2 ranked bowler in the world?
Yeah some proper reactionary stuff. He has over-bowled himself a bit and his Murphy usage was criminal last Test, but the strategy and tactics are laid out by management nowadays moreso than ever so even if Smith was back they'd be doing largely the same stuff (Smith is also quasi Captain at times as well anyway).

WICFan

U19 Captain
I think his brain was scrambled yesterday and it got on top of him with constant field changes, tactical changes to the bowling lengths and his own bowling taking a hiding.