• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan Tour of South Africa 2018/19

SeamUp

International Coach
Coming back from injury or not, safe to say Abbas' stock did not rise on this tour.
He looked ok nothing more. Had a bit of skill but I wouldn't put him in the Asif (Pakistan past) or Philander (current comparison) category.

Amir did what he does. He was solid but you just have in the back of your mind of what he could have become.

Shaheen has to be moulded as the strike weapon with Amir & Abbas supporting for me.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thought Abbas was quite good - beat the bat several times and played an important role in getting Pakistan back into the game on day 1, session 3.

I do expect batsmen to counter him by getting their front foot outside offstump in future though, not sure if he has a sharp bouncer in his armory.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Thought Abbas was quite good - beat the bat several times and played an important role in getting Pakistan back into the game on day 1, session 3.

I do expect batsmen to counter him by getting their front foot outside offstump in future though, not sure if he has a sharp bouncer in his armory.
Since when is an average of 46.20 and a strikerate of 88.20 in a series good. He has has the worse stats of all the seamers who played in the series, hasan ali is close. All other seamers have averages under 30.

vcs

Stats don't always reflect the truth in a sample of 2 or 3 matches - going by the stats, Shadab Khan and Ashraf had a great outing, but in reality, they just picked up a few cheap meaningless wickets towards the end.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Since when is an average of 46.20 and a strikerate of 88.20 in a series good. He has has the worse stats of all the seamers who played in the series, hasan ali is close. All other seamers have averages under 30.
The SA batsmen spend to much time facing Philander?

He seemed a bit slower than I remember, which could be the injury part.

vcs

Just goes to show that the old "didn't average great in the 4th innings so must be crap under pressure lolz" meme argument is worthless. First innings runs have a much bigger role in deciding matches. Lots of 4th innings runs come in dead situations like this.

Borges

International Regular
First innings runs have a much bigger role in deciding matches.
Yes. First innings wickets too.

I'm not too sure about what to make of Abbas; two test matches, immediately after injury, is not enough to conclude that he has been found out.

slippy888

International Captain
Yes. First innings wickets too.

I'm not too sure about what to make of Abbas; two test matches, immediately after injury, is not enough to conclude that he has been found out.
He barely bowls 80 mph it is hard enough these days for bowlers to take wickets.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Just goes to show that the old "didn't average great in the 4th innings so must be crap under pressure lolz" meme argument is worthless. First innings runs have a much bigger role in deciding matches. Lots of 4th innings runs come in dead situations like this.
Just as long as we don't start "he did not avg enough in the 1st innings" meme.

Heboric

International Debutant
What a dull thread. I wonder what's been missing.
One sided series go like that, especially if there is no sand-paper around or one player talking about another players mother or something to that effect.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
This times twenty million

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Props to the Supersport team. I thought Nicholas, Smith, Polly, Ntini and Haysman were very good. Also found KP entertaining - but in very short doses.

Nicholas especially is a quality host. Quite noticable how competent he is when he's away from the Channel 9 gang and the 'bantz'

Last edited: