• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistan Tour of South Africa 2018/19

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer
Props to the Supersport team. I thought Nicholas, Smith, Polly, Ntini and Haysman were very good. Also found KP entertaining - but in very short doses.

Nicholas especially is a quality host. Quite noticable how competent he is when he's away from the Channel 9 gang and the 'bantz'

Not a fan of Robbie P?I like him but maybe its a bit of bias because I was a big fan during his playing days

Stefan9

International Debutant
Props to the Supersport team. I thought Nicholas, Smith, Polly, Ntini and Haysman were very good. Also found KP entertaining - but in very short doses.

Nicholas especially is a quality host. Quite noticable how competent he is when he's away from the Channel 9 gang and the 'bantz'
Personally I don't like haysman, ntini or kp as coms.

Bolo

State Captain
Rest rabada ffs. Should have been out for the 3rd test. Want to see him operating at steyns age, but he will be out before he hits 30 with the current workload

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I recall Richie Benaud being pissed at the horrible over rate in a series vs Australia in the early 80s. Something like 70 overs were bowled that day.

Borges

International Regular
Over rates of most, if not all, teams were terrible in the eighties. If the current rules were in effect then, all of test cricket would have been banned.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Over rates of most, if not all, teams were terrible in the eighties.
Here's the best available figures from Charles Davis from 1984/84 to 1986/87

Teamballs/hour*
SL77.4
WI79.9
Aus84.1
Pak84.6
Eng87.7
Ind89.8
NZ90.1

* balls hour = overs / six hours, a standard day without the extra 1/2 hour.

Bear in mind that the rate for matches in Australia these days is about 83 balls/hour (90 overs in a 6.5 hour day).

I think there were times when the over rate for WI at least and probably Australia too was slower than shown, with WI pre-83 being also very slow and I think the '81 Ashes were very slow too. WI were also very slow in 88/89 and ended up being fined about 90% of their prize money for not meeting over rate requirements. Viv Richards said it didn't matter because they won but I bet some of the poorer members of the team would have disagreed. I find it notable that even in the late fifties, where slow over rates really began to bite for the first time the rate very rarely falls as far as 83 b/h.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Was a touch of rain this morning, but cleared up now. Coolish weather. Just the normal irritating gusty wind typical for PE. Here's hoping for a good match.

GRAB

First Class Debutant
Reeza / Hashim is not a good combo. Both more stroke-players. Would think Reeza 3 and vd Dussen would have been a better combo?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
You fancy defending this with two quality spin options, South Africa only have the one. Interested to see how Olivier gets on, wicket is very slow and bowling short won’t put the frighteners on the Pakistanis. Kind of wicket where the two medium pacers could be difficult to get off the square.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Very disappointing. Only 2 wickets down should get way more.
Difficult one. It is easy at St Georges to try and go to big, and end up being bowled out for 220. 270 about par here in PE. I would expect more with only 2 wickets down, but not easy. probably end up as a close game.