• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pak Players ignored by IPL - this is how democracy works

AaronK

State Regular
Pointing over Sachin.. damn.. u must be high dude..

i can't decide between lara and sachin.. then i will take Inzi after these two batsman because he was the biggest fighter i have ever seen.. and u got ur pointings, dravid, kallis and yousuf.. after those..

jeevan

International 12th Man
So you are?
The washer man's dog? (neither of the home nor of the riverbank - as in the Hindi phrase : "Dhobi ka kutta, na ghar ka, na ghat ka." Dhobi = washer man, kutta = dog, ghar = home, ghat = riverbank used for washing clothes).

bagapath

International Captain
PCB shuts door on Pakistanis in IPL | Pakistan Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

"They didn't pick any of the players and it was an insult to us. Why should we let one or two players go? We will not take this lying down."
the famous pakistani self respect finally coming into play. well done ijaz butt. you should also ask the pak players to return their IPL earnings from the first season. there is no need to hold on to indian money when they are simply spitting on your players. throw the cash bundle back across the border. teach the indians a lesson. let them know your players are not beggars. sohail tanvir can lead the way. along with the kabaddi team's withdrawl this should shake up india, pull its economy back by 20 years and bring it closer to pak's.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
This article might as well be addressed to some of those arguing on this thread. It is Pradeep Magazine, one of India's best cricket journalists, in today's Hindustan Times.

In the labyrinthine corridors of the Indian Premier League, separating fact from fiction, truth from lies and deceit and greed from National pride is an impossible task.

The day the market closed for selling and bidding of players, we were told that not picking any Pakistani player was a cricketing decision taken by the team owners. Journalists, like the Pak cricketers, were snubbed by the ubiquitous Lalit Modi with the one-liner: “We owe no explanation to anyone.”

Once Pakistan reacted as if the heavens had fallen, some of the franchises reacted strongly enough to nail the lie that keeping the neighbouring players out of the League was done on cricketing merit. In fact, the Rajasthan Royals coach called it “a sinister move” and even King Khan lent his voice in favour of those who felt a grave wrong was done.

There was an impression being created that the Indian government may have conveyed to the IPL governing council that they don't want Pak players due to security/nationalistic concerns.

Once the Home Minister, who has had his run-ins with Modi even last year when the League was shifted from India, expressed his displeasure on keeping Pakistan out of the tournament, this lie too was exposed.
The logical question to be raised then is whose decision it was to shun the Pakistani players?

Did some of the more powerful team owners, out of fear that any disruption of the tournament would cause financial losses, put pressure on the others to fall in line? Or was it the IPL governing council (sorry Modi) solely responsible for this fiasco?

The only body which can come out with the facts is the Indian Cricket Board which owns and runs the League. But they have abdicated their responsibility and are happy letting Modi, who is being called the “Amar Singh of Indian cricket” by some of the Board officials, become the face of this multi-million dollar show.

In this show, where money matters more than cricket or “National pride”, is it surprising to see Pak players sing a different tune with each passing day?

When the Pakistan Nation as one, felt slighted at the snub, the players reacted in anger and said they would never play in the League again.

But the moment they realised there was a chance to get invited, they changed their stand and are now willing to “forgive and forget”. Shahid Afridi even invoked the name of the Prophet in defence of his now being willing to play in the IPL.

How touching!

First the anger and now the desire for reconciliation is obviously to do more with losses and profits to be made than with any sense of hurt to the players' dignity or to his people and Nation.

It is time, people on either side of the divide realise that IPL is all to do with greed and it is best not to get emotionally used and mix “lofty” sentiments like nationalism with this mean business, which gives money primacy over sport.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
People can still read regular fonts, SJS. I don't think anyone here claims the IPL franchises don't have their business interests at heart, whats the point of that article?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, because in contrast to the IPL, the cricket boards have always given sport the primacy over money. And frankly, I'm not sure if it's not best for the sport that they do go for money. Money is usually made by being popular, and growing the sport is, after all, their primary job.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yea, because in contrast to the IPL, the cricket boards have always given sport the primacy over money. And frankly, I'm not sure if it's not best for the sport that they do go for money. Money is usually made by being popular, and growing the sport is, after all, their primary job.
Uhm, kind of. You only make money by making someone pay for something, and people are less inclined to grow interested in something they have to pay for. Or you cut to adverts the second someone hits the winning runs.

On the other hand it drives the game forward. When the bottom line is their only concern, governing bodies are less stuffy about crap like the poor umpire's feelings being hurt when he makes a wrong decision and it gets overturned.

Always good to get a balance.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
When the bottom line is their only concern, governing bodies are less stuffy about crap like the poor umpire's feelings being hurt when he makes a wrong decision and it gets overturned.
Which is a good thing....

I don't want my sport ruined by a bunch of coat holder's feeling.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Manmohan Singh's thoughts on the matter?

The piece is, at best, informed speculation. But it is an interesting take on the politics of it.

I suppose the matter has now been settled. The world is indeed lucky to have such decisive administrators like Ijaz Butt (and Yusuf Raza Gilani, while we're talking prime ministers). We'd be flipping and flopping on playing or not playing for ever.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Theres the redistribution auction this July. It'll be interesting to see the flip flops by the time.