• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pak Players ignored by IPL - this is how democracy works

Shri

Mr. Glass
You have no idea how much he's rated (or not) over here. So spare us the trumped up arguments. I don't hate him, I just don't rate him as much as you do. Its because I'm not a fanboy, you see.
You are still a 'homeboy' though.:happy:

pasag

RTDAS
If it was a risk worth taking, the Royals would have taken that risk. They didn't. Unrelated to Afridi's nature, I don't agree that he'd do well under Warne. Warne was good with Watson and a bunch of unrated players in the first season. He wasn't good without Watson and a bunch of players with a lot more self/over confidence in season 2. its one thing moulding and getting the best out of noobs, it takes a different skillset to manage them when they're all 'grown up' and not as malleable. Warne is a good leader, but not as good as people make him out to be.
His relationship with Smith shows otherwises. Obviously the Royals thought it a risk not worth taking, but in my armchair opinion it would have been. We see this sort of thing in sport all the time, some times it works sometimes it doesn't. I only mention the Royals because they need a player of Afridi's calibre after last years showing.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Its amazing how quickly we (Indians and Pakistanis) can move completely off the track when it comes to Indo-Pak issues.

Coming back to tack, it cant be anyone's case that the non-selection of Pakistani players was purely on cricketing grounds. That being the case, the public (in both countries I must add) deserves to know what prompted all the franchisees to act in this manner.

That the Indian government has nothing to do with it is now clear after the home ministers strong criticism of the non-selection of Pakistani players. So what happened?

If it has to do with fears that visas may not be received, let the franchisees say so?

If they are scared of Shiv Sena types, they MUST say so.

But don't give us bull **** that that there were no extraneous factors at all. By doing this, they are only encouraging rumours and ill-will is the direct result of that.

The players from Pakistan and the cricket fans of both countries deserve better.
If you interview somebody for a post in your company, do you pick the one who isn't guaranteed to show up for work? Because thats exactly what happened in season 2, and theres the saying about being once burnt..

Besides, even if some teams were interested in Afridi, please explain how they could have bidded on him, and also stayed in the race for Pollard or Bond?

WhatisRight

School Boy/Girl Captain
Here is one of the main reasons:

Sena dares SRK to include Pak players in Kolkata Knight Riders

MUMBAI: Shiv Sena today attacked Shah Rukh Khan for lamenting exclusion of Pakistani players from IPL and dared him to take the players in his team Kolkata Knight Riders.

"If Shah Rukh wants Pakistani players to play here, he should go to Karachi and Islamabad to play with them...If he includes Pakistani players in his team, he should be aware of the consequences," Sena spokesperson Sanjay Raut told reporters here.

Thats the biggest democracy in the world for you.:laugh:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Thats the biggest democracy in the world for you.:laugh:
People have the right to voice their opinion, no matter how wrong in a democracy. I am fine with Shiv Sena issuing stupid statements to garner attention. Tendulkar shut him up when they did it on those who have a right to live in Mumbai and they are looking nothing more than jokers here too.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
People have the right to voice their opinion, no matter how wrong in a democracy. I am fine with Shiv Sena issuing stupid statements to garner attention. Tendulkar shut him up when they did it on those who have a right to live in Mumbai and they are looking nothing more than jokers here too.
That pretty much sums up my stance on the issue. Shiv Sena has been losing its base, and they have to make those provocative statements to remind people of their relevance. They attacked Tendulkar, Today they attacked Ambani (who can buy Mumbai, or ruin it If he wanted to).

It is unfortunate that this has been going on, but again under a Democracy they will continue to get away with such action.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Haha, I missed G.I. Joe's post. He has been in terrific form off late. Best new poster of prominence since Uppercut IMO.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
wow.. JUST wow... We live in India and we are yet to see this "adoration" for Shahid Khan Afridi you are talking about.. I can tell you bunch of 20 to 25 guys who get a better response than Afridi from our crowds EVERY time... Heck, there are Pak players themselves who are more popular here than Afridi. How many TV commercials has Afridi done in India? And how many have been done by visiting Aussie, South African and English and even West Indian players? Heck, even Fleming is there in quite a few ads and Afridi isn't... Where is this marketability and commercial interest everyone is talking about, awayboy??????????
I am an Indian so dont be telling me how it is back home, Afridi even has enough supporters in a Pakistani uniform, but if you have him playing for a local indian teams, the fans go absolutely insane. And yes, he clearly, EASILY would have a heck of a lot of fan appeal playing for an Indian club than alot of Indian international players. It wouldnt take much to figure that out, its quite obvious. Just as he had more fan appeal in the Australian big bash compared to other Aussie players in the team, also not to mention Pollard who was in the same team.

Comparing Akhtar to Afridi ??. While Akhtar has many flaws, he is quite popular in India in recent times, mainly because of his numerous apperances in the Indian Media and Indian TV channels. Not to forget, everyone roots for the Underdog. When Akhtar came to KKR, he was going through tough times and Sharukh did a favor to him by giving him a contract. And yes, I was rooting for him and wanted him to do well. Like I said, he has his flaws but Akhtar over Afridi anyday.

Yeah that's why Afridi was the first cricketer to get a bid in the auction. Even after the pressure from the Central Government, no Franchise has come forward so far while millions of heartbeats have passed in between. And if one reads the reports that are coming out from South Asia, a spent force like Razzaq has more demand in IPL than Afridi. So yeah, let's keep dreaming.
Akhtar over Afridi for 20 20? wow....

You have no idea how much he's rated (or not) over here. So spare us the trumped up arguments. I don't hate him, I just don't rate him as much as you do. Its because I'm not a fanboy, you see.
Again, its quite sad how you people deny his popularity in India, the fact that you people bring up TV commercials as a gauge is hysterical.

I am not an Afridi fanboy, I just happen to appreciate good entertainment, Afridis one of the best in the world in that respect, not to mention top 5 20 20 player in the world based on recent form.

KEEP hating.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
wow.. JUST wow... We live in India and we are yet to see this "adoration" for Shahid Khan Afridi you are talking about.. I can tell you bunch of 20 to 25 guys who get a better response than Afridi from our crowds EVERY time... Heck, there are Pak players themselves who are more popular here than Afridi. How many TV commercials has Afridi done in India? And how many have been done by visiting Aussie, South African and English and even West Indian players? Heck, even Fleming is there in quite a few ads and Afridi isn't... Where is this marketability and commercial interest everyone is talking about, awayboy??????????
I am an Indian so dont be telling me how it is back home, Afridi even has enough indian supporters in a Pakistani uniform, but if you have him playing for a local indian team, the fans go absolutely insane. And yes, he clearly, EASILY would have a heck of a lot of fan appeal playing for an Indian club than alot of Indian international players. Just like a Yuvaraj or Jayasuriya would have much more fan appeal playing in a Pakistani local tournament than local Pakistani players themselves. It wouldnt take a genius to figure that out, its quite obvious. It just shows the fans are mature enough to appreciate good cricket. Heck just look at the recent big bash. Afridi had more fan appeal in the Australian big bash compared to other Aussie players in the team, also not to mention Pollard who was in the same team.

Comparing Akhtar to Afridi ??. While Akhtar has many flaws, he is quite popular in India in recent times, mainly because of his numerous apperances in the Indian Media and Indian TV channels. Not to forget, everyone roots for the Underdog. When Akhtar came to KKR, he was going through tough times and Sharukh did a favor to him by giving him a contract. And yes, I was rooting for him and wanted him to do well. Like I said, he has his flaws but Akhtar over Afridi anyday.

Yeah that's why Afridi was the first cricketer to get a bid in the auction. Even after the pressure from the Central Government, no Franchise has come forward so far while millions of heartbeats have passed in between. And if one reads the reports that are coming out from South Asia, a spent force like Razzaq has more demand in IPL than Afridi. So yeah, let's keep dreaming.
Akhtar over Afridi for 20 20? wow....

Again, its quite sad how you people deny his popularity in India, the fact that you people bring up TV commercials as a gauge is beyond hysterical.

I am not an Afridi fanboy, I just happen to appreciate good entertainment, Afridis one of the best in the world in that respect, not to mention top 5 20 20 player in the world based on recent form. I am sorry but his twenty20 form and his popularity are glaringly obvious to the neutral. There is not 1, not 1 twenty20 side in the world currently that would even think twice before letting Afridi walk right into their lineup, unless of course they are politically motivated to decline.

KEEP hating. It heartens me to know for certain that an average Indian cricket fan isnt as stuck up.

Last edited:

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I am an Indian so dont be telling me how it is back home, Afridi even has enough indian supporters in a Pakistani uniform, but if you have him playing for a local indian team, the fans go absolutely insane. And yes, he clearly, EASILY would have a heck of a lot of fan appeal playing for an Indian club than alot of Indian international players. Just like a Yuvaraj or Jayasuriya would have much more fan appeal playing in a Pakistani local tournament than local Pakistani players themselves. It wouldnt take a genius to figure that out, its quite obvious. It just shows the fans are mature enough to appreciate good cricket. Heck just look at the recent big bash. Afridi had more fan appeal in the Australian big bash compared to other Aussie players in the team, also not to mention Pollard who was in the same team.
im pakistani and ponting is well ahead of yousuf

evne though yousuf has been pilling upon the runs, inzi still is pakistans best player

yousuf has lost his attacking insticnts that he had in the middle part of his career, he really could up the run rate even in test matches

now he seems less keen to attack and although he is scoring alot of runs, his runs are having alot less impact then the ones ponting scores

anyways heres my list of the best in the world today

lara
ponting
tendulkar
dravid
inzi
kallis
peiterson
yousuf
gilchrist
Who am I?

Last edited: